SiouxSports.com Forum

Badlands Bowl

BisonMav

A couple UND recruits helped in the route

North Dakota BEATS Montana In Badlands Bowl

At Whitney Stadium Saturday, North Dakota looked like a team posessed in the annual Badlands Bowl. They scored on their first 6 possession and hung on to win 52-29. Mandan's Chris Leer caught the first touchdown of the game on a 25-yard touchdown pass from Tim Oskendahl and on their next possession St. Mary's Jeff Tescher outjumped the Montana secondary for their second score. Jon Samuelson of Bismarck High ran 6-yards for another touchdown running the score up to 21-0. After a 45-yard field goal by Brandon Hellevang, Ryan Chappelle of Grand Forks Central made the play of the game, cutting back several times across the field on a 13-yard touchdown pass from Oskendahl making it a 31-0 game. Chance Kraft of Minot scored the final touchdown of the half for North Dakota on a one-yard plunge. It was 39-0 at that points, and ND hung on to win it 52-29, the first win for North Dakota in the last eight years.

A couple UND recruits helped in the route

It was 39-0 at that points, and ND hung on to win it 52-29, the first win for North Dakota in the last eight years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think a final of 52-29 qualifies as "HANGING ON" to win when you were leading 39-0 and went on to win by the final score....it was an ass-kicking (for the first time in a while:-) Way to go ND!

This was a nice accomplishment by the North Dakotans, especially considering how Montana has dominated this series. Several UND recruits apparently played very well, including Tim Oksendahl, Jeff Tescher, Ryan Chappell, Nick Farstveet and Brandon Hellevang, among others. Hellevang set a Badlands Bowl record for longest field goal by making a 45-yarder. Here is an article on the game from the Bismarck Tribune.

The linked article above is a good one.

UND recruits in bold in the final box score.

Montana 0 7 7 15 -- 29

North Dakota 14 25 0 14 -- 53

First quarter

ND -- Chris Leier 30 pass from Tim Oksendahl (Brandon Hellevang kick), 9:13.

ND -- Jeff Tescher 31 pass from Oksendahl (Hellevang kick), 1:13.

Second quarter

ND -- Jon Samuelson 4 run (Hellevang kick), 13:37.

ND -- Hellevang 45 field goal, 8:36.

ND -- Ryan Chappell 18 pass from Oksendahl (Hellevang), 6:07.

ND -- Chance Kraft 1 run (Jordan Engelhardt pass from Hellevang), 3:03.

Mont -- Tyler Palmer 56 pass from Gary Wagner (Shann Scott), 1:30.

Third quarter

Mont -- Brandon Utterback 1 run (Scott kick), 1:21.

Fourth quarter

Mont -- Sean Hanrahan 2 run (Scott kick), 10:32.

ND -- Dusty Vliem 27 fumble return (Hellevang kick), 9:45.

Mont -- Marc Mariani 23 pass from Wagner (Utterback run), 8:25.

ND -- Samuelson 1 run (Hellevang kick), 4:20.

Mont ND

First downs 22 20

Rushes-yards 38-27 52-163

Passing 26-40-0 12-17-1

Passing yards 343 182

Fumbles-lost 4-2 3-0

Penalties-yds 4-34 8-42

Punts-avg. 5-15 1-42

Individual statistics

Rushing: Montana -- Brandon Utterback 6-30, Gary Wagner 21-1, Sean Hanrahan 3-7, Derek Maciel 1-2, Shann Schillinger 5-(minus 1), Jeff Brokaw 1-(minus 3), Shawn Lebsock 1-(minus 7). ND -- Chance Kraft 17-72, Jon Samuelson 13-53, Joel Kelly 8-19, Matt Kittleson 3-11, Mike Dawson 3-12, Ryan Chappell 3-1, Tim Oksendahl 5-(minus 5).

Passing: Montana -- Gary Wagner 26-39-0, 343 yards. Shann Schillinger 0-1-0, 0 yards. ND -- Tim Oksendahl 9-11-0, 149 yards. Mike Dawson 3-6-1, 33 yards.

Receiving: Montana -- Derek Green 7-74, Derek Maciel 8-68, Shann Schillinger 3-68, Tyler Palmer 2-94, Jeff Brokaw 2-9, Mark Mariani 2-30, Brandon Utterback 2-0. ND -- Ryan Chappell 5-69, Nick Houkom 3-22, Chris Leier 1-30, Jeff Tescher 1-31, Andy Murphy 1-11, Jordan Engelhardt 1-9

Oksendahl finished the game 9-for-11 for 149 yards and the three touchdown passes, and was named the offensive MVP for North Dakota. He was 9-for-9 in the first half.

Oksendahl is now 37-0 in his HS career (three undefeated ND AA titles and a Badlands Bowl).

And I really liked this:

ND -- Hellevang 45 field goal.

The linked article above is a good one.

UND recruits in bold in the final box score.

Oksendahl is now 37-0 in his HS career (three undefeated ND AA titles and a Badlands Bowl).

And I really liked this:

ND -- Hellevang 45 field goal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do we know if this was the only field goal that Hellevang attempted? In a high scoring game like this, it may have been his only attempt.

Anyone familiar with him? How are his kickoffs? Can he get them consistently into the end zone? Of course, he will have a fully redshirt season to continue his improvement.

RE: Hellevang.

I listened to part of the game (4th quarter) on KFYR. The announcers made the comment that "Hellevang is human. He finally made a mistake" when a kick-off went out of bounds inside the five.

From what I heard and could gather in the post-game recap that was his only attempt (good from 45).

More info from the Badlands Bowl:

From I-AA football forum: Eight Montana Griz recuits on team and a few (unspecified number) of MSU recruits:

Billings Gazette post-game writeup

Bismarck Tribune on Nick Farstveet

Billings Gazette pre-game hype of Montana players

At linebacker, the Montana team is loaded. The names speak for themselves.

Shawn Lebsock of Billings Skyview. Kevin Klaboe of Billings West. Austin Mullins of C.M. Russell. Kyle Bushman of Billings Central. Jace Palmer of Missoula Big Sky. Dane Fletcher of Bozeman.

There's size, speed, strength, athleticism and toughness. It adds up to a ferocious group of hitters who are intent on stopping the North Dakota team no matter what it takes.

"We're really determined," said Bushman, who's headed to Dickinson State in the fall. "We've got some great names and great athletes going 100 miles an hour out here. We're ready to work together to get the job done. If we play like we can and play like we've been practicing all week, we can come out on top."

"We've got lots of athleticism," added Lebsock, who will join his brother, Matt, at the University of Montana next season. "These are guys who have performed well throughout their careers. It's nice to be able to play with them."

Part of the challenge will be stopping North Dakota quarterback Tim Oksendahl of Cavalier High School. Oksendahl is a University of North Dakota recruit who has experience running the type of offense his team will employ during the game.

Here was the North Dakota roster:

Quarterbacks_Mike Dawson, Fargo South; Tim Oksendahl, Cavalier.

Running backs_Ryan Chappell, Grand Forks Central; Joel Kelly, Larimore; Chance Kraft, Minot; Casey Weber, New Rockford.

Wide receivers_Clint Grosz, Mott-Regent; Nick Houkom, Fargo North; Andy Murphy, Dickinson Trinity; Jeff Tescher, Bismarck St. Mary's.

Tight ends_Nick Farstveet, Bismarck (also a defensive end); Chris Leier, Mandan.

Linemen_Justin Bernstein, Bottineau; Nathan Boll, West Fargo; Kyle Bondy, Williston; Keith Buckman, Belfield-South Heart; Justin Gallagher, Jamestown, Kurt Holinka, Dickinson Trinity; Derrick Hollingsworth, Edgeley-Kulm; Zack Keller, Minot; Josh Lee, Park River; Ross Lindgren, Edgeley-Kulm; Dusty Vliem, Hettinger.

Linebackers_Scott Johnson, West Fargo; Matt Kittelson, Velva; Robert Stroup, Fargo South; Jon Samuelson, Bismarck.

Defensive backs_Jordan Engelhardt, Bismarck; Alex Gilbertson, Bismarck Century; Charlie Hoge, Fargo South; Justin Samson, Jamestown; Nick Shannon, Fargo South; Spencer Wagner, Bismarck Century.

Kicker-punter_ Brandon Hellevang, Fargo North.

It appears Schaley from Larimore was the only UND recruit from North Dakota who wasn't on the team.

Anyone know if Englehardt and Kraft are playing college FB anywhere?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kraft is going to Mary. He was a very productive high school back, but I don't believe he has much speed. In terms of size, he's somwhat similar to Adam Roland, but I think he's quite a bit slower than Roland was in high school. I'm not sure where or even if Englehardt is playing college ball.

Kraft is going to Mary. He was a very productive high school back, but I don't believe he has much speed. In terms of size, he's somwhat similar to Adam Roland, but I think he's quite a bit slower than Roland was in high school. I'm not sure where or even if Englehardt is playing college ball.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. Mary is probably a good place for Kraft. If Englehardt has speed, he would be a player at that level or higher. Maybe a good walk on at UND. He is a pretty good athlete.