SiouxSports.com Forum

Lakers at Engelstad, second try?

star2city

With Phil Jackson back as Lakers coach, wonder if the REA can get a Laker exhibition match scheduled again. Last year both the Alerus with the Twolves and the REA with the Lakers scheduled games, but the NBA forced the REA to drop their game as they didn't want two exhibition games in GF. Since Jackson departed as Lakers coach after the original exhibition was scheduled, it really probably turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

If they did get a game, a Shack vs Kobe matchup would probably sell out the place. (Too bad Jerome is not still with the Heat. :silly: ) Otherwise, a Lakers vs Twolves game would probably draw very well, especially during Homecoming week.

With Phil Jackson back as Lakers coach, wonder if the REA can get a Laker exhibition match scheduled again.  Last year both the Alerus with the Twolves and the REA with the Lakers scheduled games, but the NBA forced the REA to drop their game as they didn't want two exhibition games in GF.  Since Jackson departed as Lakers coach after the original exhibition was scheduled, it really probably turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

If they did get a game, a Shack vs Kobe matchup would probably sell out the place.  (Too bad Jerome is not still with the Heat.  :silly:  )  Otherwise, a Lakers vs Twolves game would probably draw very well, especially during Homecoming week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't see Phil going out of his way to get a game up here. He kind of forgot where he was from. I'm not a fan of a guy who can't make it back to his home town when they dedicate their gym to him. He's big-time now! Oh, and there is no way that the NBA would have a Miami-L.A. game in G.F., that is, if the NBA is playing next year. I hope the collective bargaining agreement gets taken care of so my Spurs can go after their 4th in 8 years!

It was towards the Spurs winning the Championship this year, not that LaLa Team coming into Grand Forks. Do note how my earlier post was just before the start of the game last night. Its just like that one commersal with Phil. "He who crows the loudest, may eat the most crow." :silly:

I love it when people back up former "heroes" from their home state without knowing the facts.

Fact: Phil Jackson couldn't care less about Williston, North Dakota

Fact: Phil Jackson views the Sioux nickname as racist

Fact: Phil Jackson won't be lobbying the NBA to schedule a game in North Dakota

I swear, it's no different than Mike Modano of the Dallas Stars. There are still people here in Mpls/St Paul crying about how Modano loved it here and how he cried when he left. Then I show them the SI issue that came out several years later and he talks about how the players were thrilled to head to Dallas so they could play golf. He even chided the NHL about its decision to put a team back in Minnesota, saying that if it failed once, they should abandon the idea of ever thinking a team in Minnesota could last. Nice guy, just like Mr. Jackson.

I love it when people back up former "heroes" from their home state without knowing the facts. 

Fact:  Phil Jackson couldn't care less about Williston, North Dakota

Fact:  Phil Jackson views the Sioux nickname as racist

Fact:  Phil Jackson won't be lobbying the NBA to schedule a game in North Dakota

I swear, it's no different than Mike Modano of the Dallas Stars.  There are still people here in Mpls/St Paul crying about how Modano loved it here and how he cried when he left.  Then I show them the SI issue that came out several years later and he talks about how the players were thrilled to head to Dallas so they could play golf.  He even chided the NHL about its decision to put a team back in Minnesota, saying that if it failed once, they should abandon the idea of ever thinking a team in Minnesota could last.  Nice guy, just like Mr. Jackson.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with almost all of your post, except for the Williston part. I'm not sure how you know that to be "Fact", but in interviews, in all of his books and in speeches he has been nothing but complimentary towards Williston and his time spent there.

I agree with almost all of your post, except for the Williston part.  I'm not sure how you know that to be "Fact", but in interviews, in all of his books and in speeches he has been nothing but complimentary towards Williston and his time spent there.

-He routinely states that he is from Montana, or, "went to school a few miles from the Montana border"

-He refused to return to Williston for a dedication ceremony of the high school gymnasium in his honor.

-He has been contacted several times by people either with UND or in connection to UND and repeatedly says that the timing is not right for him to return/contribute.

On the other hand, he was my uncles little league baseball coach and still stays in touch with him, giving him tickets whenever he wants to go. He also stays in contact with his old high school coach from Williston. I talked with his old coach last spring and he told me a little about him. His friends then told us a funny story of when the Lakers were struggling in the middle of the year (in Phil's last year there) that his old coach called telling him they needed to play better defense. I can just see him sitting there at the gas station in Williston having coffee with his buddies telling them what the Lakers are doing wrong. He was pretty proud of the relationship, though, and it seemed like Phil was too.

Now, I'm not a Phil fan, but looking at the evidence I have posted (which is all the evidence I know to be true) I would tend to believe that he doesn't feel ND is that important to him. I don't feel that he owes anything to anyone, but you would think a guy with that success would help out his roots.