SiouxSports.com Forum

Anti D-I petition circulating at SDSU

jimdahl

For what it's worth, I checked out the home non-conference basketball schedules and attendance figures for Montana, Montana State and Northern Iowa and here's what I found:

Montana played Northern Iowa, Denver, Gonzaga, Montana Tech and Southern Utah this year.

Montana State played Winthrop, Great Falls, Dickinson (N.D.) State, South Carolina State, Siena and Portland (not to be confused with Portland State).

Northern Iowa played Wayne (Neb.) State, Wisconsin-Green Bay and Iowa State.

In my opinion, out of those three schools' home non-conference schedules, the only interesting games were Montana's game against ex-Big Sky member Gonzaga, and Northern Iowa's game with its in-state neighbor Iowa State.

If schools who have been division I for many years have this much trouble getting quality opponents to go there, I would have to assume that UND or NDSU would have even more difficulty. I don't doubt that it is very possible to play quality opponents on the road, but I'm not sure that translates into much fan interest, particularly if those games are lost with great regularity.

With regard to attendance, I was unable to find Montana State's numbers for last year, but Montana averaged about 3600 per game, and Northern Iowa averaged 3400. Those numbers are very much in line with the NCC schools. It therefore appears very questionable whether membership in division I would necessarily translate into a substantial increase in ticket sales.

I'm not necessarily trying to say that going division I is definitely a bad thing--merely that it does not necessarily mean a substantially better home basketball schedule or bigger crowds.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in that case I'm not necessarily trying to say any of the anti DI talk is the rolling beat of a hard used Grand Forks drum, Im not even going to necessarily say the anti DI talk is a very sour grape, but come on?

If NDSU is able to navigate this thing successfully all the dispersions you

Are UND folks against any move to DI or now is it a wait and see stance?
Same mistake you always make JBB. You think there's a collective mind of "UND folks". Your ability to demonstrate inconsistencies between things I say and things other fans/the Herald/UND says is not surprising, we don't all agree. I know it's hard for you to comprehend because you so religiously tow the pro-NDSU/anti-UND line.

As far as I can tell reading your "rebuttals", you actually agreed with me on points #1 and #2. #3 just seemed to be "NDSU has always ruled and always will" chest-thumping that failed to address the quote you chose (correlation between home ticket sales and playing pay-to-get-beat-up-on-the-road games).

An opening point and three solid rebuttals give me an unassisted goal and a hat trick!

Hah, you've got to get a shot on net before you can get a goal. I'm not even sure you have your pads on right.

No, I dont agree with you on any of your points. In fact they are so bad, so unfounded in fact that they are offensive. I think a major penalty is in order and your in the Box. NDSU and Decision 1 are now on the powerplay!

JBB continues to frustrate everyone with his posts. Although I think he makes some excellent points at times, he will then ruin his credibility by making some dumb statement and taking what others say out of context.

RECOMMENDATION -- Let's all disregard anything JBB has to say. Exchanging barbs with him does not add anything positive to this website. If everyone would ignore him and not respond to his comments, he would quickly go away.

JBB - As I said in my last post, you and I had a couple of mature debates, but your style just doesn't work here. Good luck! It is obvious that you truly are a die-hard Bison fan - I rspect that!

Nick Naumenko played hockey for the Suesies in 1992-96. I think he's with the Wild. Most Sue fans are too stupid to figure out who their own Alumni are. ;)

What? Who mentioned Nick Naumenko anyway? It surely wasn't a Sioux fan.

If you're the smart one, then why do you *think* he's with the Wild? Shouldn't you know?

He is NOT with the Wild, either. He is playing in a European pro League for a team called the Mannheim Eagles.

Nice first two posts. Looks like we have another idiot on the SiouxSports.com Forums. :D

And what does any of this have to do with SDSU and an anti-Division I(aa) petition?

Geez, if you're going to get all itchy over a former Fighting Sioux defenseman at least you could pick one who spent more than a "cup of coffee" in the NHL. May I suggest Patrick or Ludwig or Zombo or Baron or Bombardir?

PS - Who'd Nick's brother play for in college and what team's farm system is he in today? Nick Naumenko trivia .... indeed.

Nick is the all time high scorer for a defensman in suesies history. It was mentioned because I boasted I had scored more pts in defense of the NDSU Decision 1 than Nick Naumenko. It was a hockey refrence, a diplomatic gesture to some of the fans on this board The Sicatoka mentioned earlier. :D