SiouxSports.com Forum

basketball recruiting

UND92,96

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one still want Glas out and I am still here.  I just think he has exhausted his effectiveness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I guess you're not going to just agree to disagree then? I'm with you 92 and thanks for the info that will help.

By the way I saw that Nigel got an assistant job with St. Mary's congrats to him. Anyone know anything about who will take his spot?

Ditto.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just read recently that Glas is 10 wins behind Gunther. I think that it would mean alot to him to go out as the all time winningest coach at UND. That being said he may step down on his own after this year with that title.

I think it will be great for Rich to get that record but I'm sure that's not a reason for him to stay/go.  I hope they have a great season this year and Rich gets recognition for it!  I'm just so sick of all these people saying, Rich has to go, it's the same people who were saying Hakstol has to go half-way through the season this year.  Some people think they need to be way too involved in the athletic dept.  I'm surprised there weren't a lot of resumes sent in for the A.D. position from people on siouxsports.com, as many seem to be qualified to make all the decisions facing the position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The beauty of siouxsports is it is a place for people to come and openly express their opinions.

I'm definitely not qualified to become the AD, but does that mean I can't express my opinion on subjects regarding the basketball or hockey programs? If that is the case, than I guess only a couple people will be allowed to post on this board.

I should clear that up, I'm talking about people who call the A.Dept and complain about coaching not those that voice an opinion on SS.com. It does make me sick though even on message boards when people constantly complain about coaches or players' performances. I really get sick of "that guy" at the games who sits there the whole time telling everyone around how they should have done stuff differently after the play has happened. It's just like when I watch the Vikes and everyone says, why don't they do this, or why don't they do that, this world has way too many people qualified to coach and just not enough teams I guess!

As for my comment about sending in resumes, that was a joke, although it would have been funny to list as qualifications:

1) Member of SS.com since Jan. 2003

2) 500 career posts on SS.com

3) 20 topics started on SS.com...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I shouldn't post this hear because it isn't the right place, but

You are trying to tell me you think Rich Glas is a good basketball coach?

If you think so, I'd beg to differ, I guess it depends on what you definition of good is. Comparing the Hakstol situation to Glas is ridiculous. One just finished their first season as a head coach for a team that had high expectations, that people were just openly expressing that MAYBE he wasn't the right one to hire, while the other has coached mediocre Sioux basketball teams for over 10 (his first five were pretty good, so I hear, of his 15 total) years. I am tired of watching other Sioux teams succeed while having the Men's basketball team underachieve year after year. There are four major sports at UND: Men's/Women's basketball, Football, and Hockey. The other three sports besides Men's basketball, have all won at least one National CHAMPIONSHIP and have all won at Least THREE conference titles within the last ten years. Rich Glas = 0 Conference/National Titles within that same ten years. Yeah I don't see a problem. :glare:

I love Glas like others have pointed out, because he is indeed a good guy, that UND is lucky to have around, but as a Sioux basketball coach, I think his time is done. He may want to break Gunther's record. That record, and others similar to it, only means who has hung around the program the longest, a true stat is a coach's win percentage.

I love Glas like others have pointed out, because he is indeed a good guy, that UND is lucky to have around, but as a Sioux basketball coach, I think his time is done.  He may want to break Gunther's record.  That record, and others similar to it, only means who has hung around the program the longest, a true stat is a coach's win percentage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not trying to defend Glas, but his overall winning percentage is comparable to Gunther's.

Glas 64%

Gunther 65%

The real difference is the conference winning percentage, which is what most of us seem to focus on, since it has been 10 years since UND won the NCC. NCC percentages:

Glas 56.5%

Gunther 65%

I never want to say someone should be out of a job, but I think it is time for something new with the men's basketball team. It wasn't any records or percentages that formed my decision, it came a few seasons back, when Jeff Brandt was around. Now, I don't have season tickets to MBB, but I do try to listen to the games on the radio when I can (since I only heard the games, and didn't see them, I may be making skewed conclusions). Anyway, to have so much of your offense revolve around Jeff Brandt was ridiculous. You live by the three, you die by the three. What happened to actually setting up inside plays? Now, I am sure the argument can be made that he was a showboat, but no coach should allow that to happen, either. It seems like the team relies so much on one player. Beasley was amazing, but once he came in it was like for a while there the JUCOs were the answer to everything

Ever since then I have been noticing little things that seem to never change. How many times has Glas, after a loss stated "we need to get back to fundamentals." To me, the fundamentals should be like breathing. Crash the boards!

I think he is a great guy, and it seems like the players love him, but I feel like those same players could achieve so much more than they have.

Cratter, you can't compare those four sports. Reasons?

Hockey: a northern sport played by few schools. Yes UND has one of the best programs in the country, but there aren't that many schools who compete.

Football: The NCC is a very strong football conference and the region UND is in is arguably (or not arguably) the strongest in the country. There are good prospects in the area that haven't had that many opportunities in the past to attend 1AA programs in the area (now changing with NDSU SDSU and the likes) In the South these players could attend any # of weak D1 or D1AA schools

Women's Bball: NCC is arguably the strongest conference year in and year out in the nation. The region is again one of the best in the nation. There are good players in the area who stay here because, among other reasons Minn hadn't been very good in the past and the recruiting wasn't as spread out as it is now today.

Men's bball: the NCC is an avg to maybe above average DII conference. The men's game is so highly competitive and so visible (AAU tourneys and other showcases) that when a strong player comes around he is going to be seen and recruited by a big time school. And let's face it ND and Western MN aren't exactly turning out great ballers every year.

The other three can find some of the top players in the nation (at that level) in their own backyard while men's bball has to bring them in from around the country and GF isn't exactly the most desirable place to live, especially if you're a kid from the South!

Sure, I wish UND was competing for National Championships in every sport but we have to be realistic. Hopefully the men can get to the top of the chain but it is just much different for them to do so then it is for the other three sports you speak of.

Anyway, to have so much of your offense revolve around Jeff Brandt was ridiculous.  You live by the three, you die by the three.  What happened to actually setting up inside plays?  Now, I am sure the argument can be made that he was a showboat, but no coach should allow that to happen, either.  It seems like the team relies so much on one player. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only thing he could have done differently would have been to sit Brandt the entire game, as when he was in he was going to get his shots, whether they be from 12 of from 27 feet. It seems as though Brandt wanted to have a few more shots as he left the team??

The reasons you gave are valid in terms of explaining why neither UND nor any other NCC team has won a national championship in men's basketball in 40 years. However, while I've made a conscious decision to refrain from commenting on whether a coaching change is needed for the time being, I will point out that my concern is not that we haven't won any national championships. Rather, my concern is that we haven't even won a share of the NCC since 1995. Even if we can't necessarily compete with the Metro St.'s or Virginia Union's of dII basketball on a year-in, year-out basis, I do feel we should be able to win the NCC at least once every four or five years. History would also suggest that this is a realistic expectation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a valid point although, I would say they have competed for an NCC crown and played in the playoffs in recent history. But yes I would expect them to compete for NCC championships every couple of years or so. Probably more often now that the NCC is watered down.

Cratter, you can't compare those four sports.  Reasons?

Hockey:  a northern sport played by few schools.  Yes UND has one of the best programs in the country, but there aren't that many schools who compete. 

What? What is that suppose to mean? UND shouldn't be able to compete with the big boys but does. Why would anyone in 1960/1970/1980 have ever went to UND when they could have went to the big schools, in the big towns?

Football:  The NCC is a very strong football conference and the region UND is in is arguably (or not arguably) the strongest in the country.  There are good prospects in the area that haven't had that many opportunities in the past to attend 1AA programs in the area (now changing with NDSU SDSU and the likes)  In the South these players could attend any # of weak D1 or D1AA schools
UND is in a good region. OK. What your trying to tell me is UND got good athletes compared to the South because in the South there are more opportunities by D1, D1-AA and hence made UND strong enough to win a National Championship. Coaching had nothing to do with it. Anyone want to debate RT was better than Lennon at coaching?

Women's Bball: NCC is arguably the strongest conference year in and year out in the nation.  The region is again one of the best in the nation.  There are good players in the area who stay here because, among other reasons Minn hadn't been very good in the past and the recruiting wasn't as spread out as it is now today.

Again, I pondering what your trying to say.

Men's bball:  the NCC is an avg to maybe above average DII conference.  The men's game is so highly competitive and so visible (AAU tourneys and other showcases) that when a strong player comes around he is going to be seen and recruited by a big time school.  And let's face it ND and Western MN aren't exactly turning out great ballers every year.
The exact same could be said for Women's basketball outside of UND. ND and Western MN aren't exactly turning our great womens ballers every year, but when they do they are going to be seen by a big time school. There are good D2 football players in the area but not good D2 mens basketball players? Those good football players in the south go to weak DIA, DIAA, but in the south those good basketball players don't go to weak DI schools?

The other three can find some of the top players in the nation (at that level) in their own backyard while men's bball has to bring them in from around the country and GF isn't exactly the most desirable place to live, especially if you're a kid from the South!

GF isn't exactly the most desirable place to live, but the other three sports can get the players they want to help them win championships, but Men's basketball (D2) basketball can't, recuiting to the same area.

Sure, I wish UND was competing for National Championships in every sport but we have to be realistic.  Hopefully the men can get to the top of the chain but it is just much different for them to do so then it is for the other three sports you speak of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess realism is three of UNDs four top sports, cause mens basketball is different. Will your arguements be thrown out the window once UND gets a new Men's Basketball coach and starts winning (say wins the NCC/North Central Regions few times, maybe competes at the elite eight)?

Ok, we'll agree the University of North Dakota's men's basketball program is different from the others. The reason the Sioux haven't been able to win a conference (or National) title in the last 10 years is not because of Rich Glas, or any coaches, it is because GF is not a destination city, and the surrounding states don't produce quality basketball players when compared to the South, oh yeah and because the NCC isn't that strong on a national level. (But I thought those ones would go to the many DI schools in the south according to your arguement about the football players.)

This is a worthless pointless arguement. My peace has been said. I am done.

I don't think people are as disappointed in the results from the basketball program as how they are arrived at. Take this year for example:

No doubt that the conference was really tough this year. At the beginning of the season, 20-10 might not have looked too bad. But, UND knocked off Kearney and Northern and a couple of other tough teams in the non-conference schedule.

Then UND beats eventual champ UNO twice and preseason favorite MSU in the first two weeks of the conference season. Halfway through the conference schedule, UND is on top of the league and people can see that this team has the potential to do some damage.

But then comes the inexplicable loss on the road to a bad Augustana team. UND goes to USD and gets blown out of the gym. Then the worst- with the entire season on the line at Duluth to close out the regular season- the Sioux don't even show up.

So, what once looked like a promising season 3/4 of the way through is in shambles by the time the conference tournament starts. Fans aren't stupid- they can see when a team is playing to its potential and they can also tell when a team is regressing or playing poorly. 20-10 might look OK on paper, but it's not accomplishing much at all when you follow the entire season.

Then there's the other factors that have added up over the past five years or so:

-the fact that UND had the rarity of having a NBA draft pick on its team (a post player at that) and did nothing with it. Not to mention that UND had another conference player of the year in Kyle Behrens in this same time frame.

-the unacceptable non-conference losses to UMC, Minot, U-Mary, etc. They seem like a yearly occurence now and fans have almost come to expect it.

-the embarrassing Myron Allen fiasco.

-the fact that a pair of players (Brandt and Lyndahl) that were all-conference as sophomores severely regressed later in their careers.

-the fact that the UND team rarely seems to match the intensity of it's opponents or have any sort of killer instinct like you often see in the great teams.

-the fact that UND now has the finest facilities in D2 for basketball and it doesn't seem to be making a difference in the quality of the teams (and no, I don't buy the whole geography thing).

So, you add all of these things up and it's pretty apparent why a lot of people are frustrated. Now I know that Rich Glas is a great guy that loves UND and had some great teams early in his career here. But at some point the status quo needs to change and the UND basketball program needs get back to where it was in the past- consistently competing for conference and regional championships.

RD 17...valid points.....but as far as comparing sports cratter you have to look at if teams are equally funded....if all teams with each sport have the same scholarships, asst. coaches, budgets for travel, recruiting...etc...then you can compare it....but obviously...not all NCC teams are funded equally....hence you can see a difference in success....although basketball teams in the NCC are fairly equally funded.

I don't think people are as disappointed in the results from the basketball program as how they are arrived at. Take this year for example:

No doubt that the conference was really tough this year. At the beginning of the season, 20-10 might not have looked too bad. But, UND knocked off Kearney and Northern and a couple of other tough teams in the non-conference schedule.

Then UND beats eventual champ UNO twice and preseason favorite MSU in the first two weeks of the conference season. Halfway through the conference schedule, UND is on top of the league and people can see that this team has the potential to do some damage.

But then comes the inexplicable loss on the road to a bad Augustana team. UND goes to USD and gets blown out of the gym. Then the worst- with the entire season on the line at Duluth to close out the regular season- the Sioux don't even show up.

So, what once looked like a promising season 3/4 of the way through is in shambles by the time the conference tournament starts. Fans aren't stupid- they can see when a team is playing to its potential and they can also tell when a team is regressing or playing poorly. 20-10 might look OK on paper, but it's not accomplishing much at all when you follow the entire season.

Then there's the other factors that have added up over the past five years or so:

-the fact that UND had the rarity of having a NBA draft pick on its team (a post player at that) and did nothing with it. Not to mention that UND had another conference player of the year in Kyle Behrens in this same time frame.

-the unacceptable non-conference losses to UMC, Minot, U-Mary, etc. They seem like a yearly occurence now and fans have almost come to expect it.

-the embarrassing Myron Allen fiasco.

-the fact that a pair of players (Brandt and Lyndahl) that were all-conference as sophomores severely regressed later in their careers.

-the fact that the UND team rarely seems to match the intensity of it's opponents or have any sort of killer instinct like you often see in the great teams.

-the fact that UND now has the finest facilities in D2 for basketball and it doesn't seem to be making a difference in the quality of the teams (and no, I don't buy the whole geography thing).

So, you add all of these things up and it's pretty apparent why a lot of people are frustrated. Now I know that Rich Glas is a great guy that loves UND and had some great teams early in his career here. But at some point the status quo needs to change and the UND basketball program needs get back to where it was in the past- consistently competing for conference and regional championships.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you exactly. Especially "I don't buy the whole geography thing," it's a crutch many people use way to often to bail themselves out, including the coaches, when indeed it has little to do with anything. Another excellent point is about a very good player that regressed later in his career, how Brandt transfered to Minot State for his senior year?:glare: WOW! Shakes Head*** Who does that? and if I remember correctly he wasn't the only one to do so that SEASON.

legend334, don't you sorta make my point for me. "although basketball teams in the NCC are fairly equally funded." Hence UND should have at least won ONE conference title within the last ten years. And if anything the Equity funding quesiton about UND mens basketball helps UND overall (in NCC play), because they are above the half echelon in NCC basketball.

• 3 weeks later...

Somebody on the minnesotapreps.com board posted that Minneapolis DeLaSalle point guard Travis Bledoe is visiting UND in the near future. Bledsoe was a finalist for MN Mr. Basketball this past season. Has anybody heard whether this is true or whether UND is even still recruiting for next year?