SiouxSports.com Forum

basketball recruiting

UND92,96

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first day of the spring signing period is Wednesday. Anybody have any recruiting news? Should we expect any signings on Wednesday?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone knows about Koenig. After that there should be 2 signings tommorrow, if not Wed then Thurs. UND Fan had been talking about the interesting story, I am assuming he is talking Mike Gutter, who is coming back and will be signing probably tommorrow. He was extremely homesick last year, that is the main reason he left. He said he really got fire back and was playing at a JUCO in Wisc the second semester, and put up some impressive numbers there. That takes care of what some perceived has been a problem of late, he is one tough SOB who is not afraid to mix it up and do the dirty work. The other is Andy Miller, a 2-guard from Bismarck High who has been tearing it up at Bismarck State the last 2 years. He is a great shooter and was near the top of D1 jucos in scoring the past 2 years despite some injuries last year. Some of the performances had from behind the arc are amazing. There were some D1s after him, so UND is lucky to get him. They still have 1 wing spot open that they hope to fill in the next few weeks. There have definately been some perceived holes filled with these two, and along with Koenig, the staff has, IMO, really gotten it done with these 3.

Everyone knows about Koenig. After that there should be 2 signings tommorrow, if not Wed then Thurs. UND Fan had been talking about the interesting story, I am assuming he is talking Mike Gutter, who is coming back and will be signing probably tommorrow. He was extremely homesick last year, that is the main reason he left. He said he really got fire back and was playing at a JUCO in Wisc the second semester, and put up some impressive numbers there. That takes care of what some perceived has been a problem of late, he is one tough SOB who is not afraid to mix it up and do the dirty work. The other is Andy Miller, a 2-guard from Bismarck High who has been tearing it up at Bismarck State the last 2 years. He is a great shooter and was near the top of D1 jucos in scoring the past 2 years despite some injuries last year. Some of the performances had from behind the arc are amazing. There were some D1s after him, so UND is lucky to get him. They still have 1 wing spot open that they hope to fill in the next few weeks. There have definately been some perceived holes filled with these two, and along with Koenig, the staff has, IMO, really gotten it done with these 3.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was of course aware of Koenig, and I had heard about Gutter, but I hadn't heard about Miller. He averaged 25.8 ppg, and had 117 3-pointers on the year! Thanks for the info.

I believe Miller is from Century in Bismarck. ??? He must have really improved because he was a decent to good high school player at best. That is great to see a player obviously work hard and improve to the point where you can earn a college scholarship!

To expand even further, Andy Miller goes 117/317 on 3's last year, just under 37%. To put it into comparison, JJ Redick goes 121/300 for just over 40%. Not to say that Andy Miller is going to have a Redickesque impact, just showing how phenominal his statistics from behind the arc are. Fantastic shooters can change a game, and Miller is a player I am glad will be in a Sioux uni.

To expand even further, Andy Miller goes 117/317 on 3's last year, just under 37%.  To put it into comparison, JJ Redick goes 121/300 for just over 40%.  Not to say that Andy Miller is going to have a Redickesque impact, just showing how phenominal his statistics from behind the arc are.  Fantastic shooters can change a game, and Miller is a player I am glad will be in a Sioux uni.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee you must think that the defenses in the ncc are no better than the competition that Bismarck State plays.

Yes, Gutter is likely to be back. Supposedly, he has his head together and is ready to get serious about both school and BB. If that is fact, he could be a contributor very quickly. He is a big physical player. If he has not matured, it could be another real distraction for the team.

My understanding is that Miller approached UND rather than the other way around. He will likley get a little $ but not much - more or less a walk on!

We were after 2-3 other very talented players, hoping to sign one of them - one HS, two JC players. Not sure if any of them committed.

I am sure Roebauck doesn't have any scholarship $ available - unless a current player or two aren't coming back. Anyone know if we have had any propects in visiting campus?

To put it into comparison, JJ Redick goes 121/300 for just over 40%.  Not to say that Andy Miller is going to have a Redickesque impact,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe that's a good thing for him because if he was Redickesque that would instantly make him the most hated player in the NCC and subject him to endless taunting. Plus, as a Carolina fan, I'd rather have a McCants-type. Then again, that might not be such a good idea.

Yes, Gutter is likely to be back.  Supposedly, he has his head together and is ready to get serious about both school and BB.  If that is fact, he could be a contributor very quickly.  He is a big physical player.  If he has not matured, it could be another real distraction for the team.

My understanding is that Miller approached UND rather than the other way around.  He will likley get a little $ but not much - more or less a walk on!

We were after 2-3 other very talented players, hoping to sign one of them - one HS, two JC players.  Not sure if any of them committed.

I am sure Roebauck doesn't have any scholarship $ available - unless a current player or two aren't coming back.  Anyone know if we have had any propects in visiting campus?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just two little things that need to be corrected there.

Andy Miller is getting money and is not a walk-on. UND initiated the contact there, and it is felt that he could be a steal. He chose to come to UND over going to other programs which would have given him a ton more $$. There has been a lot of negativity surrounding the program about, amongst other things, a lack of shooting. Andy Miller is a shooter who went from being a All-State ND Class A player who had few opportunities out of high school to one who worked himself into a scholarship at UND. That tells me he is a tireless worker who will do what it takes to get better, and you can never have enough of those guys, not to mention the gaudy numbers from behind the arc.

The other thing that needs to be said is that Gutter is not a troubled kid, a rap that some may have put on him. He is a balls-to-the-wall guy who has a Chad Mustard type of toughness to him, just without the relative emotional rollercoaster that we sometimes saw Mustard go on. The odds of him being a distraction are not very good for a few reasons. Sacrificing like he did in high school says something about his character. He could have averaged 20 a game, but instead played the team game with no gripes and averaged 7 for one of the top teams in the country, while doing the dirty work inside rebounding, screening, and defending.

There are still a few players on the radar. This has been a fantastic class IMO, filling needs all with big SGs to big and physical 4s and 5s, to shooters, and is not yet complete. Sioux fans should be proud of the staff on what they have brought in.

Here is a Herald article on the signings of Gutter and Miller: link. It also confirms that the women are done recruiting for the year.

With the addition of Koenig, Gutter and Miller, plus hopefully another immediate impact juco and the addition of Harkins coming off a red-shirt season, hopefully all the freshmen can red-shirt. There should be a lot of competition for playing time between Nobles, Doyle, Harkins, Miller, Jacobson, Lindahl, Koenig, Wells, Gutter and whomever else is signed over the next month or so. Anybody know whether Swan will return? His playing time and performance level really diminished as the season went along.

I'll predict a starting lineup of Doyle, Nobles, Harkins, Lindahl and Koenig. But if Lindahl's shooting doesn't return to his sophomore year form, perhaps it would be better to start Koenig at the 4 and either Wells or Gutter at the 5 for defense/rebounding purposes.

not sure if UND can start all three of those guys at the same time...but playing time between Doyle, Nobles, Harkins will be interesting...playing all three would make for a very small line up..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct--that would make for a pretty small lineup. However, it seems more and more teams are going to a true three-guard lineup. For example, Illinois had a perimeter of 6'0", 6'3" and 6'3" with Brown, Williams and Head. Before anybody jumps down my throat, I'm NOT comparing Doyle, Nobles and Harkins to those three in terms of ability! :lol: I suppose for teams which had more size on the perimeter creating a big matchup problem, either Jacobson, Miller or another juco transfer could be inserted into the starting lineup.

If you are telling me that Glas is a great coach, yes you do know that much. And please don't tell me this Ol coach dagwoods and are going to throw golf clubs through our windows with Jack Nicholson. :lol: You are the one that said Glas has such good seasons lately. He is outcoached almost every game in the NCC and NSIC, and his teams consistently get worse as the season goes on. Yep, no one should gripe about this loser of a coach!

If you are telling me that Glas is a great coach, yes you do know that much.  And please don't tell me this Ol coach dagwoods and are going to throw golf clubs through our windows with Jack Nicholson. :lol: You are the one that said Glas has such good seasons lately.  He is outcoached almost every game in the NCC and NSIC, and his teams consistently get worse as the season goes on.  Yep, no one should gripe about this loser of a coach!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I shouldn't even respond to that post as there are too many stupid comments in there!

But... I will...

1) I never said he was a "great" coach, but I think he has done well at UND. If you believe UND is a basketball powerhouse and should be in the NCAAs every year then obviously you would feel differently.

2)I don't know why Jack Nicholson would throw golf clubs, I would think he would be too busy acting?

3)I'm not sure how you validate saying that he "is outcoached almost every game in the NCC and NSIC" but I'm assuming you are quite a "basketball mind" and can clear that up for me. If it has something to do with players going on cold streaks and not playing up to their potential, which I have seen, then I would not criticize Coach Glas.

Who have bulk of those 20 wins been against?  The power conference the likes of NSIC and DAC 10.  UND, with it's resources and facilities, should have a better program than they do.  Since I'm lazy...Does anyone know what their conference record is over that same stretch?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2005: 6-6

2004: 5-9

2003: 11-5

2002: 12-6

2001: 9-9

2000: 11-7

total: 54-42 (.562)

Somewhat concerning comments regarding Blackwell from the WS Rivals website:

user profile

Post #15 Re: Jesse Blackwell of LaCrosse Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very Overrated... prolly the biggest headcase in the state!!! He thinks hes much better than he really is.

Post #68 Re: Jesse Blackwell of LaCrosse Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yourwrong is being a little harsh. Jesse has immense talent. He can be a little of a head case, but part of that is his coaches have made no outward attempt to force him to tone it down. (I of course don't know about practice etc.) If he finds a coach who can get him to committ to play basketball without all of the antics and hysteronics he could be a great player. He is strong, can jump out of the gym, is a decent ball handler and has great range. If he can overcome the mental parts of his game UND is getting a GREAT player.

Since there was an article in the Herald, we know Miller and Gutter signed. What I don't understand is why there still hasn't been a press release on www.fightingsioux.com. There's typically a release by the middle of the afternoon of the first day of a signing period regardless of which sport it is. Also, was there ever anything in the Bismarck Tribune regarding Miller's signing? I never saw anything in the online edition, but perhaps I missed it.