SiouxSports.com Forum

mens head coach

fs1

Both Rich Glas and his wife are big assets to the GF community, and for that reason I want to see them stay despite the fact that I also believe it's definitely time for a coaching change. It really could be a win-win situation for Rich to be out of the high-pressure, high-stress world of college coaching and into a job where his people-skills can be utilized for the benefit of UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very well said

It appears that there is no movement to address the men's coaching situation. As I stated earlier, everyone is busy trying to keep their arms around everyhing while a new AD is found. I am quite sure next year will be the "do or die" year for Glas. With so many holes to fill, he will need to find alot of immediate help. Koenig would be a good start!

Regarding the AD position, it now appears that it may be closer to May 1 (or even later) before an announcement is made.

The biggest IF is Lindahl and I really don't see it happening. He hasn't shown that he wants to be the man. He played up to his talent 3 or 4 times this season. I don't see what will all of a sudden make him play more aggressive his senior season. I couldn't agree more on AJ....one of the few all out hustlers, just isn't close to a NCC starter-type.

What this team needed all year was a kick in the a$$ - "go hard or go home" message that they never got.  From pregame warmups to the final horn there was very little '''get after it" mentality.  Until that is instilled it won't matter how many Jerome Beasleys are recruited.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Betcha if they had 5 Jerome Beasleys they would win it all!

Just like all those other seasons when they had 2 first team all NCC players and couldn't get into the NCAA playoffs or past the first round? It is as much about attitude as it is talent - UND has had plenty of talent. i.e., how many of the All-Century team members have played in the past 10 years? How many have played in game 2 of an NCAA regional?

• 16 years later...

I'm surprised there is very little acknowledgment of the death of one of UND's great basketball coaches.  Bill Fitch could coach, unlike the last few.  His first year he inherited a team that was not his.  He had to endure losing players and ineligibility, but he still won 15 games his first season.  He had to go to the YMCA league to recruit players for the 2nd semester and still beat the Bison 3 out of 4 games.  His freshman team (not eligible then) beat the varsity in the first exhibition.  The Fieldhouse filled up by 6 PM for the freshman game.   Six thousand crowds were common back then.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, vlarson said:

I'm surprised there is very little acknowledgment of the death of one of UND's great basketball coaches.  Bill Fitch could coach, unlike the last few.  His first year he inherited a team that was not his.  He had to endure losing players and ineligibility, but he still won 15 games his first season.  He had to go to the YMCA league to recruit players for the 2nd semester and still beat the Bison 3 out of 4 games.  His freshman team (not eligible then) beat the varsity in the first exhibition.  The Fieldhouse filled up by 6 PM for the freshman game.   Six thousand crowds were common back then.  

Reminds me of the old saying when I was in school. Coach Gunther could walk through Gamble hall and grab 8 guys on Friday afternoon and still beat Irv and the Bison that night.

• Upvote 1