SiouxSports.com Forum

mens head coach

fs1

I am a first time poster on here but felt this needed to be talked about. When will

me move on from the current head coaching regime. Will we continue to accept not being successful or take at chance to become successful. I am not sure how long it has been that we have been doing this (acccepting losing or just being ok)

but it is time to move on. Remenber the U of M hocky team back in the Woog days, they finally said it was time to move on and look what has happened to their

program.

Will we at least try to move forward or continue to to accept just playing basketball? For gods sake a change cant get any worse and it may actually get better.

As I stated earlier, not having an Athletic Director right now may result in the issue not being addressed right away. The problem is that, if we do make change shortly after a new AD is named in early April, we will have lost valuable recruiting time - and our cupboard is quite bare! I am sure that other schools will also be dropping the hint that a coaching change may take place at UND in the near future. Potential recruits may not want to "gamble" on UND not knowing what may happen with the coaching situation.

Not a good scenario right now - either way, with or without a coaching change!

As I stated earlier, not having an Athletic Director right now may result in the issue not being addressed right away.  The problem is that, if we do make change shortly after a new AD is named in early April, we will have lost valuable recruiting time - and our cupboard is quite bare!  I am sure that other schools will also be dropping the hint that a coaching change may take place at UND in the near future.  Potential recruits may not want to "gamble" on UND not knowing what may happen with the coaching situation.

Not a good scenario right now - either way, with or without a coaching change!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there any chance that Harmeson himself may urge Rich to step down? I just can't imagine that Rich doesn't see how this is likely to end up, and stepping down with the understanding that another position will hopefully be awaiting him in the athletic department would greatly help along the process.

A new coach still probably wouldn't be in place until after signing day, but that may be a sacrifice that has to be made. Next year is probably not going to be very good, anyway.

I guess there are plenty of people that feel the same way as me. Sorry for not being that up on here ,but my god it must change and must change now ,who cares what the short term consequences are.

Think about it,10 years of head coaching with nothing to show for it other than a great paying job with great benefits and no pressure to actually succeed.

I am not saying he is a bad guy just not the guy for this job.

LET HIM GO AND LET HIM GO NOW,DEAL WITH THE REST AFTER THAT,JUST GET RID OF HIM

WE WOULD ALL HAVE BEEN LET GO FROM OUR JOBS IF ALL WE HAD ACCOMPLISHED IN THAT TIME FRAME WAS WHAT HE HAS

END IF NOW. MAKE A STATEMENT THAT UND WONT ACCEPT IT ANYMORE.WHO

CARES WHO HE IS FRIENDS WITH.

Maybe I am bringing this up too early, but if Rich is indeed let go or reassigned, who do you guys think may be his replacement? I will throw in my 2 cents worth of who could be considered...

1) Rico Burkett: He is the head coach at Wayne State College in Nebraska. The former UND pg was a very popular player, and I saw him coach in person and he is very intense and very professional.

2) Mike Fitzner: Also a former Sioux (although he didn't finish his career here), he is currently the head coach of Lake Superior State University. He's been there two years, and has helped to improve a program that was at the bottom for a long time. He is also very intense and professional, and he has a good knowledge of the game.

3) Mike Boschee: One of UND's best shooters, his knowledge of basketball is unprecedented (he molded his brother pretty well). He is currently the head coach at D3 Central College in Pella, Iowa. He's been around the game all his life, and he is also in the process of building a program at Central. He would be a good choice in my opinion, although maybe a little risky.

I know that UND has a strong tradition of loyalty in hiring coaches. These are three former Sioux that would probably jump at the chance to come back. However it also wouldn't surprise me if we hire someone from outside to breathe some new life into the program. It should be an interesting couple of months in the MBB off season.

I agree with you UND92,96 that Rico's record at Wayne is a little bit shaky, however I don't think that coaching at WSC is a very hospitible job. For one, they don't have the max allotment of scholarships, and another they don't have the facilities to help recruit players to WSC. It would be interesting to see what he could do with a program like UND. Another thing I don't know about is coaches in the area that are really successful and would be willing to come to UND.

One guy I'd want to talk to if I were the UND a.d. is Brad Huse, the former coach at Jamestown College and a current assistant at Montana. He had something like a .750 winning percentage during his 8 years at Jamestown, and I believe they were 30-3 in his last year.

Randall Herbst- he is a recruiting genius  He has been offered by other DIIs in the past and has stayed at UND  They'll give it to him if Glas ever leaves

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about that. That would be the easy way out of hiring a coach. He may be a recruiting genious, but how well have those recruits done? I think it would be better for the University to hire a totally new staff to breathe some new life into a program that has underachieved for years.

I agree with you UND92,96 that Rico's record at Wayne is a little bit shaky, however I don't think that coaching at WSC is a very hospitible job.  For one, they don't have the max allotment of scholarships, and another they don't have the facilities to help recruit players to WSC.  It would be interesting to see what he could do with a program like UND.  Another thing I don't know about is coaches in the area that are really successful and would be willing to come to UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that winning at Wayne probably isn't easy. On the other hand, McDermott had a good record there (about .700 I think), so it is possible to do well. Rico's record is under .500 if I'm not mistaken.

That scenario worries me too. When you have this underachieving mediocrity for this long, it is usually better to expunge everything. Obviously Randall has a nice eye for talent and good relationship with new style of player UND has brought in lately....Beas', Porter,Parks,Allen,Lolar. He deserves a lot of credit for a least bringing in something different than the 2nd team All-EDC team that was being recruited here before. BUT, he also hasn't brought players in who are leaders on the court and play to the top of their ability.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A few comments on the recent posts:

-- Sure it makes sense to make a move right now if they are going to make a move at all but.... the fact remains that we are a month away from having a new leader in the Athletic Department. Harmeson would need to get Kupchalla's blessing on either firing Glas or moving him to another job (that may or may not exist today)! I really don't think this will happen. Part of the thinking may be that the new AD may have ties to a great coaching prospect and that we would be better off waiting even if it adversely affects thios year's recruiting.

Bottom line - I would be very surprised if anything happens before April. Then, who knows how long it would be until the new AD would need to analyze the situation before making a decision. With it possibly being May by that time, he may decide that he might as well give Glas one more year.

Footnote - When it comes to this subject, I can guarantee you that Roger is glad he is no longer the AD!!

-- I like Herbst and he brought in some talent but, if we make a move, we need a whole new regime. A new start, new philosophy, etc. is needed. Although Herbst did bring in some good talent, I don't know if he was very successful in bringing in "winners". Yes, a big part of winning is the coaching staff turning kids into winners but the attitudes, work ethic, pride, etc. of individuals is within an athlete long before they show up on campus. We have had few "leaders" in recent years. This year being an excellent example - we had good talent but no one consistently stepped up and led the team when things got tough!

-- I would think with our past successes, our great facilities, a supportive community, a well-respected conference (not as powerful as it was but still well-respected), etc., we would be able to get the attention of some great young coaches. They may be coaches that want to move up the ladder quite quickly and, if successful, they not be here for more than 3-4 years but that is to be expected.

As was mentioned, Huse - the former Jamestown coach, may be an excellent candidate. Plus, when talking about coaches with UND ties, Ben Jacobson, would also fall into that category. Spending a few years with McDermott has likely really helped him.

It will be an interesting next few weeks!

2 thoughts:

reassigned,give me a break,what we dont think he has had a free ride for long enough,where is he going to be ressigned to?JUST GO AWAY

timing,who cares how it affects things ,again thinking keeping him around will in any way make things better? not a chance ,he has already proven that,

HE HAS HAD A FREE RIDE LONG ENOUGH FROM UND,TIME TO SEND HIM OUT TO SURVIVE ON HIS OWN ,THE GRAVEY TRAIN IS GONE ,NO REASSIGNMENT FOR GODS SAKE

fs1, you sure are a little harsh on the man. He really does love UND, and despite his lack of success, he has worked hard for the University, and he is definitely an asset to our school. I think that he could do a nice job as a fundraiser for the athletic dept. based on his personality. Like him or not as a coach, he is a nice guy, and he's a good guy. Also, reassigning him shows people outside of our University that it is not all about winning and losing. You cannot deny that a player learns more than just basketball while at a University, and I think that Glas has done a great job in building character in young men. But with that, it's time for me to go over and cheer on the Sioux Women to a victory, more on this later!!! :blush:

in regards to Nodakstud's comments

I could care a less if he loves UND, I would love them probably more than anything in the world if they had given me that job and all that goes with it for the 10years or so,who wouldnt?

And again as far a reassigning him within the university,come on ,give him another

cake job with no real expectations and let him continue the ride,come on the ride would be better than it is now,out of the spotlight and still sitting preety as far as employment goes.

He has ridden long enough on the gravey train,time to stop the train and remove

him,let him fend for himself.

And I dont car if he is a good guy,nice guy, or whatever kind of guy, I am also and

am sure you are , do you or me get that opportunity,and yes I know neither one of us has the "connections" he has but tough.

Just get rid of him, and again as in Woog's situation if the local tv stattion wants to hire him fine,at least he is off the UND payroll.

JUST CUT IT CLEAN,DO IT NOW ,MOVE ON, AND AT LEAST THEN WE CAN HOPE FOR SUCCESS,AS IT SITS NOW WE JUST ACCEPT BELOW AVERAGE,NO WHERE ELSE IS THAT ALLOWED ,WHY IS IT HERE

fs1, you sure are a little harsh on the man.  He really does love UND, and despite his lack of success, he has worked hard for the University, and he is definitely an asset to our school.  I think that he could do a nice job as a fundraiser for the athletic dept. based on his personality.  Like him or not as a coach, he is a nice guy, and he's a good guy.  Also, reassigning him shows people outside of our University that it is not all about winning and losing.  You cannot deny that a player learns more than just basketball while at a University, and I think that Glas has done a great job in building character in young men.  But with that, it's time for me to go over and cheer on the Sioux Women to a victory, more on this later!!! :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree with this wholeheartedly. A quality program treats quality people in a dignified manner.

If Glas were to step away, or be forced away, I'ld say that after they announce Bollinger as the new A.D. (just a guess) Glas moves into his old position. He would do a nice job at this with all his connections etc.

FS1- You said that you, and everyone else are nice guys, but I doubt you would have the ability to operate in a position in the athletic department based on the outright anger and emotion you show in your posts. Just because the basketball team has not fared as well as everyone would like in the last few years does not mean that the University needs to cut all ties with one of the best coaches in the programs history and a very well liked guy throughout the community. Maybe his time has come to step away from coaching at UND but no doubt he would do a fine job in many other positions with the school

Maybe his time has come to step away from coaching at UND but no doubt he would do a fine job in many other positions with the school

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this. Rich is a good guy and is very well liked and I have no doubt he would be great in a position like Bollinger's current one.

Both Rich Glas and his wife are big assets to the GF community, and for that reason I want to see them stay despite the fact that I also believe it's definitely time for a coaching change. It really could be a win-win situation for Rich to be out of the high-pressure, high-stress world of college coaching and into a job where his people-skills can be utilized for the benefit of UND.