SiouxSports.com Forum

East Region Race

FSwadestorey

And Red River better beware of the official that is looking right at the goal against Grafton and points as it being good, then deciding that he didn't see what he saw. Kind of wishy-washy if you ask me. If that would have happened the other way around, Grafton and Fargo people alike would be lamenting the huge conspiracy for Grand Forks schools. Guess what, look at the big-time players from Grand Forks that make significant contributions in college, and you will see why Grand Forks schools are always in the running at the state tournament.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you want some cheese with the wine.....obviously i was not the only one that noticed it on sat night with 8 minutes left and the goal on friday was not allowed because the the play was called dead before the puck rolled into the net. Go butter the other side of the taste for the refes in the state tourney

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If u think some random 45 year old man that is trying to cling on to his youth by refing in his spare time just so he can tell himself that he is still affiliated with the game would cheat for his hometown team u are sadly mistaken. All refs call the game fair, not necesarilly good, but fair. RR deserves a spot in the state tournament because they earned it without anyone "giving it to them".

You are all a bunch of idiots.  How can u say the refs gave them the games when RR had baout 4 penaltes in the last 10 min.  RR had as many or close to as many as Fargo North did.  The game should have never been this way had it not been for Welk getting lucky on almost everysave he made.  And also RR should have never been playing against North had the refs not lost the game for them the noght before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I find it very interesting that you cannot tell the difference between a good save and a lucky save when you have family member that is also a goalie. Maybe all of his saves are "lucky" also.

My experience w/ LaDucer - While coaching a game in Mayville (yes they have hockey in Mayville, actually they have had some good B teams in the past), LaDucer was the ref. I had been coaching for 4 years at the time and had never even gotten a bench minor. About 1/2 through the game the Mayville kids were literally beating the hell out of my kids. I had a player complain about getting hit from behind - Laducer gave him a penalty. I was right there and the kid did not swear. I was upset so I asked him over - he came over and was very combative telling me I need to keep my kids mouth shut. All I said was he had a legitimate complaint and to start calling the cheap shots, then stepped back. He stayed right there and asked me something like "how far do you want to take it". I said nothing. He told me to quit glaring at him then kicked me out of the game - apparently for staring at him. Then I believe he kicked my assistant out for an equally lame reason (he posts on here and my want to clarify). A parent took over and after a few more cheap shots with no calls he told the ref he was afraid his son was going to get hurt and was going to take the kids off the ice. What LaDucer said to him, I'm not sure, but the parent took the team off the ice and forfeit the game. At the time we did not know this but LaDucer was the head ref for the district - he filed a complaint and I almost lost my coaching license for leaving the game (the only reason I didn't was because I was kicked out). In the end they suspended my assistant coach and banned the parent who took the team off from attending any of the state tourny games.

The second time I had Laducer as a ref was a couple weeks later at the PeeWee B1 state tourny. We played West Fargo's B1 team, who we lost to twice that year. I knew Laducer was the ref and told my kids to keep their mouths shut and to show no emotion. The WF coach did not. It was almost a repeat of a few weeks before but on the other side. A WF player complained to LaDucer he gave him a penalty. The coach complained (I didn't know him oustide of hockey, but he was a good coach and his kids were very respectful). I was standing a few feet away and he never raised his voice and never swore - yet LaDucer kicked him out. LaDucer then ended up kicking out 1/2 the WF team for complaining. They wanted to walk off - I told the assistant what happened to us a few weeks earlier and he kept things under control. I can say LaDucer doesn't hold grudges - he is terrible both ways.

Now on to HS hockey. I couldn't believe it when I saw him ref HS games. The guy could barely keep up with the pee-wee B's. The HS games I've seen him ref - he is out of position most of the time and makes terrible calls. He throughs out any player that looks at him the wrong way and does the same to the coaches. I have never seen him favor GF teams - in fact I was at a South RR game last year that he almost seemed to favor South. I was not at the North RR game, and doubt he "decided" the game, as I think he is just a bad ref, not a biased one. He may be a nice guy outside of the rink. But as a ref he is the worse I have ever seen. The guy is on a power trip the entire time out there. I think he gets off tossing people. As far as his bad calls I think it comes mostly from him being out of position most of the time. I honestly think having him ref the State Tourny games brings down the ND hockey a notch. Of course this is only my humble opinion. ???

Jloos, thanks for sharing that. I think people need to focus on the issue of the quality of the officiating and separate out the teams that are playing in that specific game. As you indicated, any team could theoretically get the shaft. There are refs in other communities too who are hell on wheels (skates) for the teams in their own town. I think the Grand Forks people should stop being so defensive about this and look at the issue of quality of officiating.

Finally stories in regards to poor officiating. I grew up playing in GF, and I once had the worst officiating crew in the history of hockey. Duce, Matt Spivey, and John Colter. I believe it was the RR/GFC game. That is when I wanted to start a grass roots campaign to bring some Fargo refs up for those rivalry games, GPRvs GF schools as well.

Do you think having 2 refs makes it easier to eliminate bias'? Meaning one ref can't just control a game.

Want a fun game during a Duce state game? Count how many times he blows a face off dead and kicks out the center. For bonus points keep track how many times the team that wins the face off is NOT tossed out.

Everyone rip Deuce apart because he is such a well known figure in the ND Hockey Community. Or esle no one would know his name and simply refer to him as another "red beard." The guy has done a hell of a job helping greater grand forks hockey and for the entire state. If ANYONE knew any of the horse sh^t referee names of Fargo and Bismarck maybe we could all share their stories on here and that would just be awesome reading. Go RIDERS

Everyone rip Deuce apart because he is such a well known figure in the ND Hockey Community. Or esle no one would know his name and simply refer to him as another "red beard." The guy has done a hell of a job helping greater grand forks hockey and for the entire state. If ANYONE knew any of the horse sh^t referee names of Fargo and Bismarck maybe we could all share their  stories on here and that would just be awesome reading. Go RIDERS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think people critique someone because they are well-known in some circles. I have had many people ask me who that guy was. I think people critique refs when they do a poor job not because they are well known. One of the sad things about this is what you point out, some of these people have done a lot for the game in other ways. I know some refs whose time has past but they are still officiating the game and they too have done good things for the game by serving on boards, fund-raising and so forth. That is probably one of the things that makes it difficult to move them out. I have names of refs from various parts of the state but I see little point in blasting them here behind the shield of a screen name. GOOD LUCK TO ALL KIDS WHO PLAY THE GAME - PLAY YOUR BEST.

They were just upset that they couldnt watch their team lose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see civility has taken another turn for the downside. Interesting the kind of attitudes we see revealed here.

Those darn security people - why did they go and do that anyway. Maybe because they were among the vast majority of Grand Forks people who appreciate the right of a ticket paying customer to see a game.

I don't care who he played for when he was younger. He still sucks a big one at times and at times when it is needed. All you GF people can't face reality that he aids in some of your wins. Whether you realize it or not. This year at regionals was the most obvious I have ever seen it. TAKE YOUR BLINDERS OFF AND START REALIZING!!!!!!! There was no way they were going to win that until LaScrewer took over

I don't care who he played for when he was younger. He still sucks a big one at times and at times when it is needed. All you GF people can't face reality that he aids in some of your wins. Whether you realize it or not. This year at regionals was the most obvious I have ever seen it. TAKE YOUR BLINDERS OFF AND START REALIZING!!!!!!! There was no way they were going to win that until LaScrewer took over

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that rational post, I've taken my "blinders" off and I can see the light.