SiouxSports.com Forum

East Region Race

FSwadestorey

Regional tournaments coming up, could lead to interesting match-ups. Right now it's looking like South will go into EDC as the #1, followed by Red River and Grafton. Now North has a slim chance but still a chance to overtake Central but the Knights win over Red River greatly bolsters their chance to wear white instead of maroon in the opening round. I've watched every team in the conference and I can see Jamestown and West Fargo surprising some people come the regional tournaments. This is the best Jamestown team I've seen come through in a while if they lock up at 6 you may see a potential upset over a young Grafton team. I may seem alone on this next surprise but maybe West Fargo can be 2005's Shanley at the regional. Malm's teams have came in flat previously and if WF falls into the 7 slot they could spring the upset. I've heard that they've find a diamond in the rough in Brady Houkom between the nets. This team isnt as bad as their record shows. They started the year with two or three one goal losses and if they win those games they'd be dancing in the .500 club with North and Jamestown.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regional tournaments coming up, could lead to interesting match-ups.  Right now it's looking like South will go into EDC as the #1, followed by Red River and Grafton.  Now North has a slim chance but still a chance to overtake Central but the Knights win over Red River greatly bolsters their chance to wear white instead of maroon in the opening round.  I've watched every team in the conference and I can see Jamestown and West Fargo surprising some people come the regional tournaments.  This is the best Jamestown team I've seen come through in a while if they lock up at 6 you may see a potential upset over a young Grafton team.  I may seem alone on this next surprise but maybe West Fargo can be 2005's Shanley at the regional.  Malm's teams have came in flat previously and if WF falls into the 7 slot they could spring the upset.  I've heard that they've find a diamond in the rough in Brady Houkom between the nets.  This team isnt as bad as their record shows.  They started the year with two or three one goal losses and if they win those games they'd be dancing in the .500 club with North and Jamestown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your possible upsets could happen but I do not think West Fargo or Jamestown could sustain a high level of play for the full three game tournament. We will know in a couple of weeks. South and maybe Red River will be the teams that should advance with a dogfight between Central, Grafton, and North for the remainaing spots. There are a lot of variables in determining who will advance to state including game coaching, a hot goalie, and depth at defense and forwards. It could come down to discipline - which teams spend the least time in the box. I think this year it is extremely difficult to predict because no single team or group of teams have clearly established themselves as dominant over the entire season.

The tournament should stay the same. There is no 5th place game. Instead they have two play in games between the semifinal losers and the consolation round winners. The winners of those games make state and the higher seed of the two winners gets the better seed for the state tourny.

The west deserves four teams. They may not be better than the eastern schools, and yes a lot of the time the eastern schools win all four opening round games. But when will schools like Williston or Hazen ever get the chance to play elite eastern teams? They won't play them in the regular season so what better opportunity than to give the kids a shot at them at the state tourny.... :D

I did feel the same way a lot of you guys do, until a couple of years ago when a pretty poor team from Bismarck Century found a way to beat then #1 ranked Fargo North in double OT...... :lol:

I think it will go:

1.Fargo south

2. GF Red River

3. GPR

4.Central

5.North

6. Jamestown

7.West Fargo

8. Shanely

9. Whapeton

Does any one know how the EDC tourny works this year, I heard they changed it so the 4th place team makes it in insted of the 5th team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... not bad.

How about:

1.Fargo South

2.GPR

3. GFRR

4. Fargo North

5. Central

6.Jamestown

7.West Fargo

8. Shanley

9. Whap.

I honestly believe that scrappy North Fargo will be a stronger team than Central this year. As far as a GPR/Red River comparison, I think Grafton is a stronger team with the Campbell scoring punch.. regardless of previous results.

As much as it hurts to say, (being a GF native) I think that Fargo South is the strongest team in East hands down. Not to say Red River can't still knock them off. I just think that South is really on roll now with that 7 game winning streak. Maybe Big Dean finally found that groove he's been yappin about in the media.

However, I did witness a fairly poor showing on South's behalf against Jamestown last night. (South won 6-3) It appears that Jamestown found a pretty significant weakness in South. All they had to do was throw the puck out to center ice and catch south's Defense snoozing on the blue. Smart strategy for a team like Jamestown. Props to them for hangin with em!

As much as it hurts to say, (being a GF native) I think that Fargo South is the strongest team in East hands down. Not to say Red River can't still knock them off. I just think that South is really on roll now with that 7 game winning streak. Maybe Big Dean finally found that groove he's been yappin about in the media.

However, I did witness a fairly poor showing on South's behalf against Jamestown last night. (South won 6-3) It appears that Jamestown found a pretty significant weakness in South. All they had to do was throw the puck out to center ice and catch  south's Defense snoozing on the blue. Smart strategy for a team like Jamestown. Props to them for hangin with em!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would not surprise me at all if Jamestown makes it to state this year and does some damage there. They have some skilled players, but they stay with teams and keep games close because of their entire teams great work ethic.

Jamestown always manages to have a couple of very skilled kids on their hockey teams. They haven't had that great of teams in the past couple of years, but they manage to have a couple of "diamonds in the rough". Wouldn't suprise me at all if they found their way to the state tournament. :lol:

Hey Wilbur... Ur from Minot, is Minot the real deal or is that Western schedule just building them up to be that good?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In past years I would say that the Western schedule is just building them up, but after wins over East Grand Forks, and Grand Forks Central, and a tie with Red River, I think that this may be one of the better teams Minot has ever had. They play Grafton this weekend, and I think that will be another test to see whether this team is as good as advertised.

They'll blow it in the state tournament though....always do.... :D

PS: I was at the Central-North game last night, and the Knights looked pretty good. How Jake Marto didn't get a major slashing penalty in the corner at the end of the second period will forever be a mystery to me and the guys I was watching the game with.... :lol:

In past years I would say that the Western schedule is just building them up, but after wins over East Grand Forks, and Grand Forks Central, and a tie with Red River, I think that this may be one of the better teams Minot has ever had. They play Grafton this weekend, and I think that will be another test to see whether this team is as good as advertised.

They'll blow it in the state tournament though....always do.... :D

PS: I was at the Central-North game last night, and the Knights looked pretty good. How Jake Marto didn't get a major slashing penalty in the corner at the end of the second period will forever be a mystery to me and the guys I was watching the game with.... :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You must be referring to when he slashed the guy

Regional tournaments coming up, could lead to interesting match-ups.  Right now it's looking like South will go into EDC as the #1, followed by Red River and Grafton.  Now North has a slim chance but still a chance to overtake Central but the Knights win over Red River greatly bolsters their chance to wear white instead of maroon in the opening round.  I've watched every team in the conference and I can see Jamestown and West Fargo surprising some people come the regional tournaments.  This is the best Jamestown team I've seen come through in a while if they lock up at 6 you may see a potential upset over a young Grafton team.  I may seem alone on this next surprise but maybe West Fargo can be 2005's Shanley at the regional.  Malm's teams have came in flat previously and if WF falls into the 7 slot they could spring the upset.  I've heard that they've find a diamond in the rough in Brady Houkom between the nets.  This team isnt as bad as their record shows.  They started the year with two or three one goal losses and if they win those games they'd be dancing in the .500 club with North and Jamestown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting outcome tonight as West Fargo lost to South 2-1 - maybe they are more capable than I gave them credit for although they lost to North 6-2 in the Coliseum a week ago. Did anyone see the WF/South game and have comments?

I would have to say, looks as though South and Red River are the top teams in the east but Central is coming on with their win over Red River and North. Minot established more credibility with their win over Grafton tonight as well. Also, Charlie Bair picked up 4 goals and two assists against a weak Dickinson team yesterday. The kid can play but the bottom half of the west is a struggling group and the right kind of player can pile up the points out there. The East Region tournament is going to be a tough tournament this year - will be interesting to see which teams can put three good games together.

I was at the WF/South game. South had quite a big more shots but the majority of them were not quality. WF did a good job of keeping them in the perimeter especially Wiesgarbers line. Hearing the Minot game didnt surprise me considering Grafton likes to dangle and if you hit them it makes them easier to beat and they were missing one of their top scores to due injury. It will be interesting to see who makes it for the East and if Minot does well at state.

I was at the WF/South game. South had quite a big more shots but the majority of them were not quality. WF did a good job of keeping them in the perimeter especially Wiesgarbers line. Hearing the Minot game didnt surprise me considering Grafton likes to dangle and if you hit them it makes them easier to beat and they were missing one of their top scores to due injury. It will be interesting to see who makes it for the East and if Minot does well at state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who was out for Grafton.

In the Minot Daily News the Grafton coach said that they were without four players. Paul Campbell wasn't one of the injuried players however, because he scored Grafton's goal.

It is also nice to know that Minot scored that many goals on Tony Kringstad. He's a pretty good little goaltender, and has played pretty well against Minot in the past.