SiouxSports.com Forum

Bad News: Greene arrested

PCM

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you write that article about Greene? I hope the players think about granting you any access in the future, there is no way I would ever grant you an interview request, you sold Greene out pretty fast, sad. Do we have to shamelessly plug our own articles everytime we write something new for USCHO?

rip away, I at least have the courage to say something that a lot of people on here don't have the guts to.

Why would you write that article about Greene?  I hope the players think about granting you any access in the future, there is no way I would ever grant you an interview request, you sold Greene out pretty fast, sad.  Do we have to shamelessly plug our own articles everytime we write something new for USCHO?

rip away, I at least have the courage to say something that a lot of people on here don't have the guts to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An arrest is public info. Article best come from someone (like PCM) with the teams/players best interest in mind, rather than a "sudo-reporter" with a nit to pick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, we're all pretty brave on a message board. :D

As for Greene, I hope this doesn't become a needless distraction for the rest of the team.

Yeah, we're all pretty brave on a message board. :D

As for Greene, I hope this doesn't become a needless distraction for the rest of the team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about that, but it will bring a lot of interesting comments from Sioux flamers both here, POI, and on USCHO. :D

This doesn't exactly set him too far apart from a college culture that celebrates drinking and a hockey culture that celebrates drinking.

Matt, just don't be so stupid about it next time.

As for being a distraction, what's it gonna do, Scott, slow down that torrid goal-scoring pace?

I say let Mr. Greene pay his debt to society, let him be punished according to team and athletic department rules, and get on with winning games.

Edit: To clarify, getting legally drunk is arguably not stupid, but driving that way is.

I don't have a problem with that article. It seemed pretty factual to me. I'd rather have it written this way by "one of our own", than written by someone somewhere else who might want to add their own bent to it.

I also think it's best that the facts, those known to this point, come out before lots of people on a message board start speculating on things they heard from their cousin's girlfriend's brother who is a cop in Baudette who heard something on the radio. We know how those types of rumors usually blow up and in the long run could be very damaging on their own, though not factual.

It's unfortunate, but if Matt is guilty of this violation he deserves the penalty that comes with it and the attention one in his position commands.

I would like to add that about 1/2 of my immediate family was nearly wiped out by a drunk driver many years ago. I have no love for drunk driving and am ashamed to say the experience didn't stop me from driving drunk when I should have known better.

Matt should know better. But at the same time we shouldn't overreact to what he did. Many people have done what Matt allegedly has done and have not been caught. Probably 90% of the players on every team in the WCHA have done the same things, but maybe haven't been caught. Hopefully commentators will keep their perspective.

I agree with jk.

Why would you write that article about Greene?  I hope the players think about granting you any access in the future, there is no way I would ever grant you an interview request, you sold Greene out pretty fast, sad.  Do we have to shamelessly plug our own articles everytime we write something new for USCHO?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A long time ago, someone crafted a great phrase, to counter the stupidity of comments like yours: "Don't Shoot the Messenger".

It should be removed from his jersey, immediately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's not be so quick to condemn this young man. If Sioux fans presume his guilt, imagine the backlash from fans of other programs.

I, for one, will acknowledge the presumption of innocence and allows the facts to be gathered before forming an opinion. And although I certainly don't condone driving while intoxicated, at this point his blood alcohol concentration has not even been disclosed.

Until then, I will remain thankful that no one was injured during the alleged incident and hope for the best possible resolution to the situation.

As for being a distraction, what's it gonna do, Scott, slow down that torrid goal-scoring pace?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Given the profound lack of leadership exhibited by the C and the As, the last thing this team needs is more negative attention paid to it, or a "leader" who is less focused on his game than "normal". Any way you cut it, Greene's stupidity will have negative ramifications for his squad at a critical time of the season.

I guess in this day and age this is again a case of hard news finding its way onto the sports page. In the olden days, one would not cross one with the other and that was, perhaps, a bit of an unwritten code between the players and those who report on them. Course, I'm talking pros here mostly. How many DWI's do you think Dino Cicerelli, or Al Secord, had?

PCM did a nice job with a story that was bound to break sometime, by someone. Strictly the facts, however few that they are at this time. Just doing his job in this world of new age journalism.

It appears that Matt may have refused the breath test. The standard test. These days, this is a misdemeanor offense in and of itself. He either was smashed, which is unlikely, or he just was not sure of the ramnifications of a test and figured he'd be better off not blowing into the Big Horn. Maybe he asked for blood instead of a breath. In that case, he could be hosed. Regardless, as long as it is his first, and as long as there were no children in the car (an enhanceable DWI offense), he'll be ok. He's of solid stock, moral fibre, and is sheer talent on skates.

If he refused a test, he'll lose his driving privileges for a year, automatic, and will have a leg up to argue that he was not driving while intoxicated. If he allowed blood, any reading over about .13 will bring him a conviction, probably on a plea, to a DWI. Over .10 and under .13, he'll get a careless, which these days really doesn't mean a hill of beans of difference between the two charges.

Here's saying Matt had had a beer or two, but was far from being far over any limit. He's too smart for that, as are we all every night that we drive home after a couple of barley pops. Hell, we ain't drunk then, is we??

I really doubt that Matt was bouncing off the curbs, squeeling the tires, or driving wrecklessly, but for the small to reasonable amount of beverage in his belly of course. Probably a rolling stop. Or a slight speed. Or a tail light out. Or some passenger taking a leak on the side of the highway. Pulled over by a bull with little else to do, probably a Gopher fan to boot. Sees the name on the license, smells a beer or two on the breath, and BOOM, we've got ourselves a situation here. And I'm not saying that driving over the limit isn't a situation. Necessarily. As I always say, obey the rules of the road religiously, make sure that your equipment is working, and drive defensively. We can all drive under those situations.

If his handlers have any sense about them, Matt will plea to a careless (or even the Dee-Wee to get his license back quick), Coach will suspend him for a series, hopefully right quick, and the two will join with all the other boys on a wild ride to Columbus.

Stupid? Ya, sure. Egregious? Likely not. After all, who among us, other than myself, can rightfully claim that we have never been convicted of, much less arrested for, a misdemeanor charge? How many of you can recite the alphabet, backwards, even while sober?

Cut the kid a reasonable degree of slack.

Lets not rush to judgment, i've gotten plenty of dui's in my day.  He was arrested on being under the suspicion of driving under the influence.  Thats an easy one to get out of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly - good point. $5000 will clear his slate. He isn't the first and won't be the last.