SiouxSports.com Forum

Red River - Central Game

Fetch

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, but Fargo South should smoke them both.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People in Fargo say that every year there is going to be a team that people should watch out for and that basically hasn't happened. Every year a team from Grand Forks has been in the championship game and usually won it. Grand Forks is hockey, and will be there in the end again.

What do you mean it hasn't happened? South won a couple of championships in the mid to late '90s and was 40-some seconds away from winning a 3rd title last year. Before winning the last two in a row, didn't Central have a dry spell of about 10 years or so? I remember when I grew up in GF, back in the '70s and '80s, Central and RR dominated. That just is no longer the case. It used to be GF teams would win state championships 9 out of every 10 years, now it's more like 1 out of every 2. I know South has a couple within the last 10 years and I believe Grafton does also if I'm not mistaken. Didn't Minot even win one at some point in the '90s? The GF teams are still among the contenders, but the rest of the pack is a lot closer than they were 20 years ago. I realize South got beat 9-1 by Moorhead, but I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb to suggest that Moorhead would beat anybody in the state of ND just as convincingly if not worse. Remember, South has already defeated both Central and RR this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget, South has also lost to Bismarck if I am not mistaken. And you fail to mention that during Central's dry spell, Red River was racking up titles left and right. Hasn't minot just won the one title in 93? with Philion. And also keep in mind, that with no early grand forks departures for the USHL, Fargo schools would never even get a sniff of the state title.

Maybe, but Fargo South should smoke them both.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen! Fargo South has already beat on both the Grand Forks teams once (Red River twice if you count the jamboree) and I think it obvious that the Fargo South boys are hungry for revenge on Grand Forks... as matter a fact, I saw several of them at the rink the other day sporting FSH shirts noting 00:47 on the back. For those who don't know what that means, it's the 47 seconds that they came from winning the state title last year. I call Fargo South or Grafton/Park River to win state this year.

back to the topic. anyone know the outcome of the GFC-GFRR game from last night? i can't find an article on it. i may be looking in the wrong place.

by the way...south may have been :47 away from a state title last year, but they didn't win it. hope the shirts look nice, though! there is no doubt that GF is hockey town ND. FS is talented this year, but state championship-talented...i don't know. i'll put money on either gf school long before believing FS will be alive after the semis.

Minot is the only undefeated team in North Dakota high school hockey play so far. They certainly have to be considered a contender. As ususal, if a team has strong goaltending in late February, they just might grab the championship. History is on the side of teams north of Buxton. It seems that this is the most evenly balanced hockey season in North Dakota high school hockey that I can remember (and that goes back to the early 60's!). Looking forward to an exciting end of a very balanced season of high school hockey.

The loss of top high school players to junior hockey has certainly had a detrimental effect on the caliber of play in North Dakota, but the ones who leave miss out on experiences that they just can't get in junior hockey. Most are going to have to play another year of juniors, for physical growth, etc., so what's the hurry to get to juniors?

I'm sorry to be getting off of the subject, but I checked the ND High School website that Bob Gillen does, and they only have Weisgerber from South playing in 4 games? Is he injured, or is he the one who supposedly quit... :(

back to the topic. anyone know the outcome of the GFC-GFRR game from last night? i can't find an article on it. i may be looking in the wrong place.

by the way...south may have been :47 away from a state title last year, but they didn't win it. hope the shirts look nice, though! there is no doubt that GF is hockey town ND. FS is talented this year, but state championship-talented...i don't know. i'll put money on either gf school long before believing FS will be alive after the semis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to inform all of you who doubt the Fargo South High Bruins, they should be and will be (with the return of Junior standout Paul Weisgarber) the best team in the state of North Dakota. In the previous season the Bruins JV knocked off a previously unbeaten Moorhead JV team with varsity player Jake Krause on the roster. I belive some of the misfortune they have had is because of inexperiance, which will in time, change. Now I am fully aware you cant put your entire season on the shoulders of one kid. However, you can put a lot of it on this kids. Anyways, back to the team. When this Junior class was PeeWee A and Bantam A they handed Minot there lunch and sent them on there way. Red River is a sketchy team, with hot-heads loading their benches they could be in box for a good portion of the game. Their D are slow, and as Paul proved in their first meeting, weak on their feet :( . I am sure most of you are laughing in your seats as 95% of the D-men on the team are over 6-0 and 200 lbs. but lack skating fundamentals to knock over a Paul Weisgarber or even a Tyler Dalbey for that matter. Central is just weak. Plain and simple, they have weak D, weak forwards, and weak goaltending end of story. Marto isnt god, and I think they lost to North? That says something. Grafton/Park River is a team to be feared. Who knows why, but they are successful. Call it the Campells, call it the goaltender but they're successful and will be the rest of the season if they can keep up to tempo. All in all it looks to be whoever can knock off the Bruins. Red River couldnt do it, Central can't, or North. It's up to GPR or Bismarck High.....

Just to inform all of you who doubt the Fargo South High Bruins, they should be and will be (with the return of Junior standout Paul Weisgarber) the best team in the state of North Dakota. In the previous season the Bruins JV knocked off a previously unbeaten Moorhead JV team with varsity player Jake Krause on the roster. I belive some of the misfortune they have had is because of inexperiance, which will in time, change. Now I am fully aware you cant put your entire season on the shoulders of one kid. However, you can put a lot of it on this kids. Anyways, back to the team. When this Junior class was PeeWee A and Bantam A they handed Minot there lunch and sent them on there way. Red River is a sketchy team, with hot-heads loading their benches they could be in box for a good portion of the game. Their D are slow, and as Paul proved in their first meeting, weak on their feet :ohmy: . I am sure most of you are laughing in your seats as 95% of the D-men on the team are over 6-0 and 200 lbs. but lack skating fundamentals to knock over a Paul Weisgarber or even a Tyler Dalbey for that matter. Central is just weak. Plain and simple, they have weak D, weak forwards, and weak goaltending end of story. Marto isnt god, and I think they lost to North? That says something. Grafton/Park River is a team to be feared. Who knows why, but they are successful. Call it the Campells, call it the goaltender but they're successful and will be the rest of the season if they can keep up to tempo. All in all it looks to be whoever can knock off the Bruins. Red River couldnt do it, Central can't, or North. It's up to GPR or Bismarck High.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhhh ohhhhh....sounds like a MAD Hockey Mom to me!!!! :(

Foss was at best average.  His line mates made him look much better than his total points indicate.  South has a solid nucleus back this year, and will definitely be the team to beat next year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would argue it was the other way around. Foss would be in their top 3 forwards this year. Grafton will be the team to beat in the East next year.