SiouxSports.com Forum

An honest look at a D-I future

nodakvindy

With the Big Sky looking as a truly viable option for UND athletics I thought I'd pull out my crystal ball and see what the future has in store should we move ahead on that path. I'll also offer some thought on our neighbors to the south.

Sport offerings - Both UND and NDSU have nearly all the required Big Sky offerings, UND would need to add tennis for men, while NDSU would need to add it for men and women. Of course, this requirement could be lifted. Several teams would also be left without a conference. For UND, baseball, softball and men's and women's swimming. For NDSU, baseball, softball and wrestling.

Title IX - This has seemingly been glossed over in the NDSU move. They have added a ton of scholarships for football, but no mention has been made of scholarship additions for women. UND is in a much better position in that they offer more women's sports, which can help counteract the extra scholarships of football.

Both school seem poised to move up and in short amount of time, be competitive at least on the conference level. Travel budgets would certainly increase, as it nearby opponents are few and far between. However that is increasingly becoming the case in DII. This could also be made up with a few "guarantee" games in basketball and football.

The biggest challenge is for the teams with conference affiliations, for swimming this isn't a big deal as the team already travels extensively and this year is competing against a lot of Division I schools. Softball and baseball would be far more difficult. In fact, I believe baseball would be cut if there is a move to DI. Kraft Field is substandard and it is virtually impossible for northern schools to be competitive in baseball. Softball would also be a logical cut, but would likely survive due to Title IX.

NDSU would have a more difficult choice as I think they would also need to cut a sport, with Wrestling and Baseball the only options. Wrestling is a highly successful program, but the sport is dying at the collegiate level. The baseball team has a fantastic facility, but again it's nearly impossible to succeed in DI.

One other likely outcome of the DI move is the loss of local kids making up a large portion of teams. I don't think you can underestimate the importance of having local athletes in terms of media attention and attendance. If future Sioux teams are populated by athletes from Milwaukee, Chicago, California and Texas then it could be difficult to keep fan interest if the losses start piling up.

Finally, while I think it is prudent to stay aware of the fiscal challenges of the move in the short term, a long term view is also needed. The gradual downward spiral of DII makes it almost certain that UND will need to move to DI. While it might be hard now, it will likely be just as difficult later and the likelihood of a good conference match is slim. For that reason I think the time is now for a DI move.

With the Big Sky looking as a truly viable option for UND athletics I thought I'd pull out my crystal ball and see what the future has in store should we move ahead on that path.  I'll also offer some thought on our neighbors to the south.

Sport offerings - Both UND and NDSU have nearly all the required Big Sky offerings, UND would need to add tennis for men, while NDSU would need to add it for men and women. Of course, this requirement could be lifted.  Several teams would also be left without a conference.  For UND, baseball, softball and men's and women's swimming.  For NDSU, baseball, softball and wrestling.

Title IX - This has seemingly been glossed over in the NDSU move.  They have added a ton of scholarships for football, but no mention has been made of scholarship additions for women.  UND is in a much better position in that they offer more women's sports, which can help counteract the extra scholarships of football.

Both school seem poised to move up and in short amount of time, be competitive at least on the conference level.  Travel budgets would certainly increase, as it nearby opponents are few and far between.  However that is increasingly becoming the case in DII.  This could also be made up with a few "guarantee" games in basketball and football.

The biggest challenge is for the teams with conference affiliations, for swimming this isn't a big deal as the team already travels extensively and this year is competing against a lot of Division I schools.  Softball and baseball would be far more difficult. In fact, I believe baseball would be cut if there is a move to DI.  Kraft Field is substandard and it is virtually impossible for northern schools to be competitive in baseball.  Softball would also be a logical cut, but would likely survive due to Title IX.

NDSU would have a more difficult choice as I think they would also need to cut a sport, with Wrestling and Baseball the only options.  Wrestling is a highly successful program, but the sport is dying at the collegiate level.  The baseball team has a fantastic facility, but again it's nearly impossible to succeed in DI.

One other likely outcome of the DI move is the loss of local kids making up a large portion of teams.  I don't think you can underestimate the importance of having local athletes in terms of media attention and attendance.  If future Sioux teams are populated by athletes from Milwaukee, Chicago, California and Texas then it could be difficult to keep fan interest if the losses start piling up.

Finally, while I think it is prudent to stay aware of the fiscal challenges of the move in the short term, a long term view is also needed.  The gradual downward spiral of DII makes it almost certain that UND will need to move to DI.  While it might be hard now, it will likely be just as difficult later and the likelihood of a good conference match is slim.  For that reason I think the time is now for a DI move.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree that baseball would be a likely be cut at UND if it moved to DI.

If you consider states with the lowest ratio of DI schools to population, Minnesota is the lowest and Wisconsin is not much higher. These states send out a a lot of DI talent that could be directed here. Looking north, more Canadian athletes could probably be wooed down if offered full scholarships rather than 1/2 or 1/3 rides (like in DII football). Unless a kid from Canada is offered a full ride, it probably isn't financially worth it for them even compared with non-scholarship options in their own country.

It may not help much since it's NDSU-related but I think a lot of it applies to UND.

The Forum's coverage of NDSU's move to DI.

NDSU has removed two obstacles already - one, the legislature is unlikely to act to stop UND and two, UND won't be seen as endangering the rivalry.

OTOH, if recruiting athletes good enough for DI was supposed to be a huge obstacle when it was just NDSU going DI, it stands to reason that having both UND and NDSU in DI would make it a whole lot harder to find athletes with which to create competitive teams.

Don't you BISONVILLE guys have anything BETTER to do than raise a big stink on OUR BOARD!! GO AWAY or apply for a job at the Fargo FOOLUM. I thought they weren't going to cover "lesser division" schools like UND but they seem to be burning up their pages lately with ONLY UND material!! Guess they don't have much to talk in the BIG TOWN except UND or the BIG DIVISION ONE home men's BB debut against JAMESTOWN :silly::lol::lol:

Just because UND going DI would give NDSU a better shot at getting in the big sky than their current $$$-losing anchor called SDSU - don't play us for fools and try to "encourage" us to make the move! I don't think the taxpayers of ND are ready to pony up $$$ to make up for the athletic shortfalls of TWO STATE UNIVERSITIES!!! You can make your own case at the legislature and I hope they tell you to start dialing the phones...because I'm not shelling out anymore as a North Dakota Taxpayer just because your scores are scrolled the bottom of ESPN...that doesn't mean a thing (or a dollar more for you) to me! In fact, I think its kind of funny NO ONE knows who the hell ndsu is???

I have to admit i am a bison fan but i and a lot of other bison fans have no problem with your coaches and players in fact as coaches go lennon is great and no doubt would be a good d1aa football coach. What ndsu fans have the problem with is kupchella and thomas. they just dont seem like they know exactly what to do and the letter mr. kupchella sent and even you have to agree just sounded bad and not very smart, some of the fans seem to believe just because you have a great and yes i said great d1 hockey program will make you a bigger and better draw right out of the gate along with haveing a better grasp or be in a better postion to make the move yes you have some better facilitys but dont you think that you are pretty much in the same position ndsu was in.I hope to god we can both make this move proper and both make it.I loved the UND ndsu fb game it was rivaled by nothing and you can place blame on both sides for that.so i hope they make the right decision based on the facts not just hating to be behind the bison and i dont believe you are just in a divsion that suits you.

well...you won't have to worry about RT very much longer...he's SO GONE to the NCC job if they offer it to him - and why not? At PR - he's great!! Crunching the numbers in a budget...not so much...plus he won't have to be the REA middleman anymore!! He almost tipped over once...who needs all the stress? Can't blame him for trading in a very tough job (considering all the factors at play at UND now) for a cushy hotel room in Sioux Falls. Rog already has his place secured in our hearts as a coach and great guy forever. It will tell a lot if and when UND's AD job opens up who might apply??

well...you won't have to worry about RT very much longer...he's SO GONE to the NCC job if they offer it to him - and why not?  At PR - he's great!!  Crunching the numbers in a budget...not so much...plus he won't have to be the REA middleman anymore!!  He almost tipped over once...who needs all the stress?  Can't blame him for trading in a very tough job (considering all the factors at play at UND now)  for a cushy hotel room in Sioux Falls.  Rog already has his place secured in our hearts as a coach and great guy forever.  It will tell a lot if and when UND's AD  job opens up who might apply??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally, IF we go DI, I don't like the idea of also having to find an AD.

I agree with that.  It is gonna take a lot of saying No to coaches to make it work.  You know who would be a nice athletic director for this move?  Call me crazy but I say Terry Wanless would be excellent.  He ran a tight ship and came in in the black when it was all said and done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you might want to rethink that Wanless is guiding Sac State on a road to nowhere. also, i think that recruiting an ad/moving up would take a lot of resources and i don't think you could do both at the same time. you might as well add another year to your transition, making it 2008-2009, which is actually a lot closer than one might think.

I would second the motion for Terry Wanless, he left this dept with 200,000 in the black, hired quality staff personal, quality coaches, he is the one who hired Dean, and treated all of his employees with respect and held people in their jobs accountable and rewarded people who did their jobs and showed up for work!!!!

He hired people around him who were very good, Jim Elworth, who is now working with the NCAA, Doug Archie who is with Utah, Pete O who is with Utah as the assistant AD...all fine people who were a pleasure to work with!!!!

Sac St.. is a sinking ship and it was before TW got there criticizing him for that is unfair...as well as California budget problems...thats a whole different story!!

those who wanted him gone, are the ones asking for him back..although a few who wanted him gone are gone now themselves.

Rumor has it Dr. Kupchella has been speaking to Terry Wanless, about what I am not sure, interesting!!

I know TW would not stand for medicore teams, so some coaches may have to pony up!!

Rumor has it Dr. Kupchella has been speaking to Terry Wanless, about what I am not sure, interesting!!

Wanless is a Big Sky school AD and UND did send the Big Sky a letter of interest. I wouldn't find a conversation too remarkable depending on subject matter discussed.

you might want to rethink that Wanless is guiding Sac State on a road to nowhere. also, i think that recruiting an ad/moving up would take a lot of resources and i don't think you could do both at the same time. you might as well add another year to your transition, making it 2008-2009, which is actually a lot closer than one might think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was more of the point I was trying to make. I just don't think it looks good that a school is searching for an AD while trying to jump to DI. Makes it seem like their are problems.

It may have something to do with the fact it is based in Sioux Falls and he coached there back in the day.  Plus, I believe his wife is from there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NCC "offices" are in a Hotel Room at the Ramkota in Sioux Falls....NOT AN OFFICE BUILDING...literally a converted HOTEL ROOM. I don't think it would take too much negotiation for RT to move the NCC "offices" to GF so he can still watch Drew and handle NCC business from here. From my perspective - I say "GO FOR IT!" RT's done his time as a UND coach, AD, and now he deserves to crank it down a notch running the NCC. We'll miss his personality and PR ability but frankly not his business skills. Wanless was a public asshole with no personality but he could, at least, administratively run an Athletic Department. This is the key skill RT lacks and something we might need right now - especially given everything that's going on right now...(Not that I want Wanless back mind you!...this just might be an opportunity for UND to go in a new direction!!)