SiouxSports.com Forum

The Division I question...

dakotadan

Give it time, they have a process you know.

Also, I don't think that Bison Fans should be demeaned based on the stupid sh#t that is being posted on in-forum.com.  I don't think those people have the slightest clue about college athletics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but I don't really see much demeaning of NDSU in this thread--just some of the ignorant fools who post on the Forum site. If we really need to demean an NDSU fan, we already have an easy target in the always lovable JBB. ???

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the logistics of a UND/NDSU membership into the Big Sky would be more complimentary for the BSC versus a SDSU/NDSU membership. I think the Big Sky is trying to see if UND will make the plunge with a little nudge from the Sky...I think in the eyes of the Big Sky the UND/NDSU matchup will do a lot more for the bottom line (money) due to their longstanding rivalry (which sells tickets during matchups). Of course, this is only my view to counter the "Big Sky begging UND for applying for membership"

I think the logistics of a UND/NDSU membership into the Big Sky would be more complimentary for the BSC versus a SDSU/NDSU membership.  I think the Big Sky is trying to see if UND will make the plunge with a little nudge from the Sky...I think in the eyes of the Big Sky the UND/NDSU matchup will do a lot more for the bottom line (money) due to their longstanding rivalry (which sells tickets during matchups).  Of course, this is only my view to counter the "Big Sky begging UND for applying for membership"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sweet avatar. New Family Guy Episodes March 2005!

I agree the Big Sky doesn't want UND anymore than NDSU, what they really want is both. NDSU and UND are well respected for their sports programs. UND would be foolish not to make the jump in the next couple of years. It would be almost as bad as NDSU missing the boat to get D1 hockey 15 or so years ago.

Random thoughts,

Watching Fox News tonight it seems that the BSC would wait to hear what UND would like to do. :huh:

And that RT said hold off on bidding the D2 National Title game at the AL to Mr. Jeske.Hmmmm!!

jloos, Money?? Say it isn't so!! :ohmy:Sounds like something the NC$$ would do. ???

But to be serious how many degrees of separation do you think the Big Sky is looking at? UND plays UW -UM (BIG- TEN) in hockey. CSTV does alot of D1aa football. Imagine a nice UND - Montana(Big- SKY) football game on CSTV.Or BITTER rivals UND vs NDSU pound it out battle on the NORTHERN PLAINS of North Dakota?

And here I thought the BSC folks were crazy. :p

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/10326756.htm

Interesting quotes:

"Let's at a minimum open a dialogue," Harmeson said of UND and the Big Sky, "because if you close the door, those discussions won't happen for a while."
If the Big Sky does expand, Fullerton said, it likely would create two divisions to avoid extensive travel costs.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/10326756.htm

Interesting quotes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my mind the formation of two divisions is a no-brainer. It would kind of suck for football because every team wouldn't play each other in a given year and a conference championship game doesn't really make sense at the I-AA level. It would be great for other sports though, especially basketball.

In my mind the formation of two divisions is a no-brainer.

To do that, wouldn't they almost have to be looking at adding four to go from today's eight to twelve?

Twelve is a nice working number because it forms two six-team divisions:

- for FB you play everyone in your division and half of the other division (plus three non-conference games for an 11-game schedule)

- for BB you can set up either 16 games (home and home with your division, once against other) or 22 games (home and home against all)

To do that, wouldn't they almost have to be looking at adding four to go from today's eight to twelve?

Twelve is a nice working number because it forms two six-team divisions:

- for FB you play everyone in your division and half of the other division (plus three non-conference games for an 11-game schedule)

- for BB you can set up either 16 games (home and home with your division, once against other) or 22 games (home and home against all)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely, and I think Fullerton is now on record as saying expanding to 4 teams is a possibility. Let's say UND is interested and joins the Big Sky. The conference could look like this:

North

NDSU

UND

SDSU

Mont. St.

Mont.

Eastern W.

South

UNC

U. North. Ariz.

Sac. St.

Port. St.

Weber St.

Idaho St.

Other people have speculated UNC to be in an eastern division with the SU's, UND, and the Montana's. Either way, it would be a pretty cool conference

Other people have speculated UNC to be in an eastern division with the SU's, UND, and the Montana's.  Either way, it would be a pretty cool conference

Agreed. Too bad the people on the message board are not making the decisions. Although I'm sure the college and conferance presidents read this site ;)

Hmmmmm......

Letter by Kupchella to UND football letterman on Division I issue

One of the things to be considered here is, in fact, the pride and emotion many of you expressed in your notes. I want you to know that I hate the idea that NDSU even appears to be making a move ahead of us in any way whatsoever, perhaps as much as you do - even for a little while. I, too, miss playing NDSU - especially when we win. Pride and emotion are powerful enough sometimes even to overwhelm logic and other considerations. I recognize that may have to make this move even though, ultimately may make no otherwise logical or financial sense to do so but I'm getting ahead of myself.

A move to DI based on a threat to pride and emotion? Smells like a recipe for disaster. ;)

A move to DI based on a threat to pride and emotion?  Smells like a recipe for disaster.  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it was...for NDSU ;) Let's see who remembers who had....

-$200 Million dollars of new athletic facilities coming on-line within the last 3 years...

-2 of the last 3 years in the National Championship Football Game

-a cable network broadcasting every home game of their most successful sport STATEWIDE (give or take 20 games a year)

...seems like that would be the self-proclaimed "flagship institution of ND" but NOOO! It was UND!! ndsu had to DO SOMETHING...something to make themselves feel important again...they were "LOSING" in the eyes of the state!! Now you decide who "made a move to DI based on a threat to pride and emotion" and think twice before you start throwing stones in that cheap glass house you live in now.

Hmmmmm......

Letter by Kupchella to UND football letterman on Division I issue

A move to DI based on a threat to pride and emotion? Smells like a recipe for disaster. ;)

The Forum's daily attempts to stir up Fargoans by creating "news" when there simply isn't anything new continue. Regarding this quote, we've all been saying forever that UND and NDSU would be in the same division again soon if for no other reason than that UND fans simply wouldn't tolerate being in a lower division from NDSU. Of course what NDSU does affects what fans expect UND to do, just as the reverse would be true. I'm baffled that Kupchella starting to feel that pressure is surprising to anyone???

We've all known for months that UND was studying reclassification now because the criterion cited as most important by NDSU's Carr report and UND fans here for years (securing a conference affiliation before reclassifying) is demanding timely consideration. Kupchella acknowledges that many of his "reconsider moving" catalysts have occurred, including much of the NCC reclassifying and the transition becoming less punitive, yet he still has the same concerns about increased travel, budget, and lower exposure for most sports. As a long-time on-the-record supporter of both ND schools reclassifying, looks like same old, same old to me.

What strikes me about Kupchella's letter to Martinsen and other football alums is its lack of concise statements. There is no need for any executive like Kupchella to ramble on for three or four pages of written text to their inquiry.

The most interesting quote in the whole letter was this:

As I'm sure you know, we have lots of things we would like to do if we were better funded, e.g., start an aerospace engineering program,

An aerospace engineering program is needed in North Dakota, as it would complement the CAS and the developing aerospace industry in the state. Kupchella should challenge the alumni's fundraising ability with a goal that ties together academics and athletics and benefits both. A goal such as: Raise $15 million with $10 mill as a downpayment on an athletic scholars trust fund and $5 mill to start aerospace engineering and a DI move will be in the offing.

Football may be a special case, but there are those who question whether moving to Division Iaa is really a move up at all. Both Northern Colorado and NDSU were ranked in the top 25 during their first years in D Iaa. What do you guys think this really says about the level of competition at this so-called next level?

C-Kup would do better to focus on the fact that the NCC has produced the type of strong programs that were able to have some success at the next level, rather than rip the next level. This is akin to saying that if UND did move up and had relative success early, then i-aa must not be that great. Its defeatist and lazy.

Tried to start a new thread focused specifically on the Kupchella's letter. Apparently the biggest news out of UND since Ralph's threat to stop construction on the Arena doesn't merit it's own thread.

I don't want to rile too many feathers and I do know that I'm going out on a limb here but I believe that Kupchella, and Thomas will be gone by June 30th. Lennon may or may not leave depending on the opportunities available.

I'm kind of surprised by the content of the letter. Kupchella did as good a job as possible with Mascot/Ralph issue just to write a completely unprofessional letter? Isn't lesson 101 in covering your butt: think whatever you want, but put nothing down on paper?