SiouxSports.com Forum

The Betty (as a venue) so far...

SiouxMeNow

SiouxMeNow- Like I said the BSA is a pit and an eyesore to the rest of NDSU's great facilities, but the place does have a nice college atmosphere. Who cares about the yellow hue of the lights when you get to see some great D1 basketball :blush: . I can't blame the bison faithful for not wanting to go watch NDSU battle UMC or whatever weak NAIA or D2 team thats on the schedule. And I told you the dome is worse then the BSA, 4,000 fans mean zero atmosphere. Yeah I'll get to watch the game and look at the nice big screen replay boards but I want a real college atmosphere, not a flat crowd in a big dome. Enough with the NDSU talk though, UND needs to move the Bball games off the hockey rink and into the Betty were Glas and Roebuck can give their teams a real college atmosphere to play in and not a D2 version of a Clippers vs Wizards preseason NBA game.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would certainly appear that the people of Fargo are staying away from NDSU basketball games in droves. 800-something people showed up last night for the game against SW St., and they are averaging a little over 1300/game on the year. I realize it's a poor home schedule, but I can't imagine Taylor and company were expecting attendance to drop off quite this much.

It would certainly appear that the people of Fargo are staying away from NDSU basketball games in droves. 800-something people showed up last night for the game against SW St., and they are averaging a little over 1300/game on the year. I realize it's a poor home schedule, but I can't imagine Taylor and company were expecting attendance to drop off quite this much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only 800? are you being serious? wow

Does anyone know what our attendance numbers have been so far this year? I know the season started off pretty low but this last weekend we almost cracked 5,000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The average right now is about 2570, which is very slightly more than last year's average. With only 2-3 home games remaining, the number probably won't change much but should go up a little. Of course, the fact that this year's attendance is going to actually be more is quite impressive in and of itself since obviously the NDSU and SDSU games are no longer on the schedule, and those games generally drew some of the biggest crowds.

Only 800? are you being serious? wow

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the Forum:

Dotun Obadina, a walk-on freshman, hit a layup in traffic with 4 seconds left -- his only points of the game -- to lift the Bison over Southwest Minnesota State 68-67 before 870 fans in one of the team's more undeserved victories in recent years.

Who cares about the yellow hue of the lights when you get to see some great D1 basketball

great basektball?:blush: you must be talking about the other team playing against NDSU...1 point win vs SW State??? ouch....800 people!!!! wow...better schedule a few more road games for football to make up that budget deficit!!!!!

NDSU always drew about 1-2 thousand for the teams they are playing now while they were in D2. So why do you expect a sudden change? These aren't the teams people want see, people want to see NDSU vs D1 teams. Next year will be a much better year attendance wise, I can think of 4 games that are already going to bring in solid crowds(5000+). And when I said great D1 basketball I meant next year. So yes attendance will be about 1500 for this season but next year I think NDSU will average between 4-5 thousand. And UNO is the crappiest arena in the area, hands down.

NDSU always drew about 1-2 thousand for the teams they are playing now while they were in D2. So why do you expect a sudden change? These aren't the teams people want see, people want to see NDSU vs D1 teams. Next year will be a much better year attendance wise, I can think of 4 games that are already going to bring in solid crowds(5000+). And when I said great D1 basketball I meant next year. So yes attendance will be about 1500 for this season but next year I think NDSU will average between 4-5 thousand. And UNO is the crappiest arena in the area, hands down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NDSU's biggest crowd last year was about 5000--against UND. While I think a game against a "name" opponent would draw as well or better than that, games against teams like Denver or Missouri-Kansas City likely will not because these schools are simply not recognizable to the average fan. Perhaps the first game or two against a dI opponent will draw better than the caliber of opponent would suggest they should, a la the Valpo football game. But I certainly wouldn't expect attendance to typically be better than what NCC opponents drew in Fargo unless the opponent is a fairly big-name school, or perhaps a team like Montana, Northern Iowa or Creighton. I just don't see people who aren't loyal enough fans to go to games this year showing up for a game against a Mid-Continent or Sun Belt team. Time will tell.

Your right time will tell, and your right the first D1 game will have the Valpo factor. And if Tennesse is really coming to fargo to play the NDSU women that willl be a sell out there, Manhattan will draw a solid crowd, SDSU will draw a solid crowd, and hopefully a team like Wisc GB is coming since a Koenig homecoming would also draw a big crowd. I think for the other D1 games your looking at 2000-3000 at best. So I think the attendance would be around 4k maybe even a little more. Both teams are supposedly eligable for the NIT next year so there is something to shoot for, and if the mens team is winning games then I think attendance could really shoot up.

and hopefully a team like Wisc GB is coming since a Koenig homecoming would also draw a big crowd

If he is there next year..he isnt getting a lot of clock again this year...will be interesting to see if he stays or goes somewhere that he can get some minutes....possibly...UND?:blush:? great replacement for Ryp dont you think!!!!!

Sioux goo when I'm doing attendance guesstimates I'm predicting 5-6000 for game against Manhattan, SDSU, Wisc Gb(if we play them) and the home opener. So when I say an average of 4000 I mean with all games averaged togather, not 4000 a night. I think NDSU will get about 2500 for UMKC and Denver, 1100 fans did show up to watch NDSU battle Dakota Weslyen, I think they can at least double that for a D1 game.

and hopefully a team like Wisc GB is coming since a Koenig homecoming would also draw a big crowd

If he is there next year..he isnt getting a lot of clock again this year...will be interesting to see if he stays or goes somewhere that he can get some minutes....possibly...UND?:blush:?  great replacement for Ryp dont you think!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If he went to NDSU he would have to sit out, and he wouldn't see any playing time anyway. So a D2 school like UND or Augie may be a good place for him to go and get some minutes. He could be a solid D2 player and should have went to a D2 school to begin with. He should have never turned down scholarship offers at some DIA schools for football.

Those recruits are the future and there are going to see some serious playing time, you are right Koenig WAS a great recruit out of high school but now he is a D1 flop. If he's struggling against teams UW GB plays then he will struggle here since NDSU plays alot of the same types of teams. And yes I believe those recruits will turn the program around, right now NDSU is a D2 team playing with 7 players under scholarship. And as a D2 team these guys are playing pretty good they haven't lost a game they should have won. The three non D1 teams they lost are Northern St, SDSU, and Mankato this team is actually pretty good considering the amount of depth they have. Right now I would take all of NDSU five redshirts over Koenig along with the three recruits from this year. Koenig was overated and would have been better off playing D2 ball or DIA football.

And UND92 Miles will probably have to go JUCO to fill the hole that Erbes and Kelchan are going to leave behind.

Those recruits are the future and there are going to see some serious playing time, you are right Koenig WAS a great recruit out of high school but now he is a D1 flop. If he's struggling against teams UW GB plays then he will struggle here since NDSU plays alot of the same types of teams. And yes I believe those recruits will turn the program around, right now NDSU is a D2 team playing with 7 players under scholarship. And as a D2 team these guys are playing pretty good they haven't lost a game they should have won. The three non D1 teams they lost are Northern St, SDSU, and Mankato this team is actually pretty good considering the amount of depth they have. Right now I would take all of NDSU five redshirts over Koenig along with the three recruits from this year. Koenig was overated and would have been better off playing D2 ball or DIA football.

And UND92 Miles will probably have to go JUCO to fill the hole that Erbes and Kelchan are going to leave behind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Horizon League is a solid league. For him not to be tearing it up is not a surprise. He may have gone too high but all those coaches seemed to think he could do it. And NO, you would not take those all of those recruits over him, that shows how much you actually know about basketball. Lucas Moorman? Seriously.

I have only seen Moreland play once and that was against south in the state semi's and I was impressed, it's hard to say how good any of these guys are and are going to be but the have tons of potential. Koenig did go to UW GB athletes don't go there for the tradition or the prestige. NDSU doesn't need D1 flops they need players that will allow them to be solid in the furture that is why Koenig would recieve not much playing time at NDSU. I did go to South High so maybe I do have a little biased opinion but I did get to see plenty of Koenig and he wasn't all that he was hyped up to be. And SomeBison UW GB isn't doing so hot this year so a soph. with potential should be getting some serious minutes, wouldn't you think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't make this stuff up. Let's see, would I rather have 2 redshirt FR boys who each weigh 210 soaking wet and last saw competition in ND Class A and Minnesota Class A ball, or a 6-8 235 pound man who has started 75% of his games as a collegian in a league that plays very good basketball. There is no question in my mind I'd take the latter. To take it even further, those 2 redshirt FR big guys will likely be taking the floor with 2-3 other FR.

Before Koenig is labeled a D1 flop, consider that he plays on a team and in an offense that is high tempo and orientated completely for guard and wing play. He rarely has anything run for him despite the fact that he shot at least 55% last year and the last time I checked he was doing the same this year. You can be rest assured that both UND and NDSU would take him in a heartbeat and plug him into the lineup next year. To suggest otherwise is moronic.