SiouxSports.com Forum

The Betty (as a venue) so far...

SiouxMeNow

Been great I think!! Nice cozy atmosphere even with only 1000-1500 in the house. Last weekends games were very good with just over 2000+ - can't wait till the crowds grow to just about fill it. I think it will rock!!

Smart move also to keep as many games as possible in there, at least in the non-conference season. You could shoot a cannon through the big Ralph with 1500 fans and not hit anybody!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is attendance down this year?  I've been seeing 1200 attendance for the games, I thought I remembered about 2,500 was the average last year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

remember it's still early....don't know if they jacked ticket prices for this year but the crowds haven't been bad

Comparing this year's attendance to last year's is kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison due to the facts that this year, there are so many more home non-conference games, and many of them are in the middle of the week which doesn't help with attendance. However, with that said, attendance for men's games is actually up so far as last year's non-conference games (excluding Bemidji St., as that attendance number isn't included on the UND athletic site anywhere I could find) averaged about 1600, while this year's average thus far is a little over 2000. Attendance is down when compared to last year's overall average, but that's not a valid comparison due to the fact that conference games typically draw far better than do non-conference, and of course the conference season is still about month away.

Attendance has seemed a bit down, but without only one real level of seating, it's easier for the fans to spread out.  Hopefully it will pick up, but by that time it'll be NCC season and all those games will be in the Ralph.  I've never understood that decision.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Based on the non-conference season, I wonder if they'll reconsider having games in the Big Ralph?? With the bleachers on the court ends, that must push the seating capacity to around 4000 and you could put in bigger bleachers. Who are they going to draw more than 4000 for anyway? The Betty would be a blast if it was packed!! I think it's pretty cool now...a lot like the old Hyslop but not as stinky. ???

With the bleachers on the court ends, that must push the seating capacity to around 4000 and you could put in bigger bleachers.  ...  The Betty would be a blast if it was packed!!  I think it's pretty cool now...a lot like the old Hyslop but not as stinky. ???

I agree with your observation: If the day comes where more than 4000 is consistently needed, put in larger court-end bleachers. You could probably push 5000 then. That place would be bedlam. If the day were to come that you needed more than that, then worry about using The Ralph (the lower bowl there seats about 5500), and The Ralph isn't stinky either. :p:huh:

• 2 weeks later...
Question.

Why are the Sioux playing NCC games at the Ralph?  Doesn't UND lose a home court advantage?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They "think" playing in the big arena (with the videoboards, more seating, and such) makes it better but yeah, it is more of a "neutral court" situation since they don't play there all the time. 4000 would be much better in the Betty than 4000 in the Ralph (even with the bells and whistles) - what conference game will draw more than that this year???

• 1 month later...
With 227 people having voted so far it is now:

198 votes (87%) Betty

29 votes (13%) Ralph

I hope that the people at UND have seen this poll.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree they should play all the games at the Betty...if it's SRO (for over 4000 I guess) WHO CARES!! THAT would be awesome!!! The atmosphere at the Ralph this weekend SUCKED! The Zooperstars got the biggest rise out of the crowd and that was the HALFTIME ENTERTAINMENT!! (same on Sat. Night!) I swear to god you could hear individual COUGHS in the crowd during both games!! ADD to that all the old people are obviously PISSED about having to pay $3 for a coke!

NOW HERE'S THE REAL PROBLEM...UND will be televising several games this season (starting this thursday) The Ralph is wired for TV - the Betty is not and that's probably the driving force for playing the conference games in the Ralph. It's a great arena...but not for basketball (Unless Kansas decides to come back to town???)

• 2 weeks later...
I just wondered if the long term plans are to play at either the Betty or the Ralph.

Or will they continue to play at both venues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it may depend on who the new a.d. is, and who the new g.m. of REA is. I believe the coaches would prefer to play all the games at the Betty. It much more closely replicates Hyslop in terms of a homecourt advantage. I think a primary reason the conference games are played at the Ralph is to cater to the luxury suite tenants in the Ralph (most of whom don't go to or care about basketball, anyway), and the fact that concession sales are probably far higher at the Ralph. It's also quite a recruiting tool. But unless attendance grows to the point where 4000 is far too small, I believe ultimately the Betty will be where all but the biggest games will be played--providing there's no opposition from the a.d. or the new REA g.m., of course.

Does anyone know what they are using Hyslop for currently and what their long range plans for the gym are. I saw a game there and loved it. Does it look the same as it used to? Did they take down all the banners? Thanks for the info in advance.

Sioux Basketball (and Volleyball) is now officially housed in The Betty. All of the nostagia is there.

Hyslop is now indoor training space for the other sports at UND.

If you were at the games the past couple weeks you'd see that we were probably lucky to have been in the ralph. As far as I could tell, it seemed that the Betty would have been packed beyond capacity.

Of course it would be great to be in a full house instead of a half-house, but I'm sure the fans in the stands were glad to not be standing.

It actually kinda got loud near the end of the Mankato game.

They have signed a deal for the next three years I believe to play in the Ralph, upping prices for suite owners. This is the reason they will continue to play there. The new A.D. and new G.M. would have to make a huge agreement to change conference games over to the Betty, because they would have to re-imburse suite owners for their payments. And from what I have seen with the people at the REA they are not about to start paying money out!

The venue would be much better to watch a game in, but they are just too greedy. Oh well, at least we don't have to sit in the Bison Sports Arena and watch games. Now that place is a hole!

UNO- I think in the next 5 years NDSU will decide if they are going to renovate the BSA or just build a new arena, there is also a lot of construction projects going on at NDSU so maybe they want to finish those first. As long as they don't play in the dome I'm happy.

The BSA isn't the worst arena in the area but it's a long way from the best. It still provides a nice atmosphere for college ball, something UND fans can't say about the ralph(it's a nice place but it's the truth). The BSA may be a hole but if you can get 4-7.5k in the there the place is pretty loud and has a great atmosphere, put the same size crowd in the Ralph and you get an atmosphere thats about as electric as an old folks home after thanksgiving dinner. The last game I went to at Ralph was an NDSU vs UND mens game and the crowd seemed about as lively as the crowd gets in the BSA for NDSU vs Presntation College. The UND vs Kansas game though was a completely different story, probably one of the better basketball games I have been to. The atmosphere was great and was probably at the level of were big time colleges hoops is at. So in my opinion UND should play every game in the Betty unless the game sells out before hand. Unless you can get 7-12k in the Ralph for hoops the place just isn't suited for college basketball. College hoops isn't about the comfy leather seats or the fancy corporate suites, it's all about pep bands and student sections all in a cozy and loud environment. UNDguy I know you are glad to not have to sit in an arena like the BSA but for college basketball give me the BSA over the Ralph anyday(better sight lines and better atmosphere).

UNO- I think in the next 5 years NDSU will decide if they are going to renovate the BSA or just build a new arena, there is also a lot of construction projects going on at NDSU so maybe they want to finish those first. As long as they don't play in the dome I'm happy.

The BSA isn't the worst arena in the area but it's a long way from the best. It still provides a nice atmosphere for college ball, something UND fans can't say about the ralph(it's a nice place but it's the truth).  The BSA may be a hole but if you can get 4-7.5k in the there the place is pretty loud and has a great atmosphere, put the same size crowd in the Ralph and you get an atmosphere thats about as electric as an old folks home after thanksgiving dinner. The last game I went to at Ralph was an NDSU vs UND mens game and the crowd seemed about as lively as the crowd gets in the BSA for NDSU vs Presntation College. The UND vs Kansas game though was a completely different story, probably one of the better basketball games I have been to.  The atmosphere was great and was probably at the level of were big time colleges hoops is at. So in my opinion UND should play every game in the Betty unless the game sells out before hand. Unless you can get 7-12k in the Ralph for hoops the place just isn't suited for college basketball. College hoops isn't about the comfy leather seats or the fancy corporate suites, it's all about pep bands and student sections all in a cozy and loud environment. UNDguy I know you are glad to not have to sit in an arena like the BSA but for college basketball give me the BSA over the Ralph anyday(better sight lines and better atmosphere).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the Betty would be able to hold 6,000(?) if they bought bigger end zone seats. There seems to be plenty of room for it to my untrained eye. Now that would be awesome to see. I still wish they had bought some sort of video replay boards/screens.

Yup...that's probably it unless the conference season comes down to serious crunch time. Thought the Ralph was pretty good on Saturday but I'd stll rather have the Betty packed than the Ralph (lower bowl) half full. It was good size wise but MAN - we do miss those old 2x8 planks at Hyslop!!! You HAD to get up off those every once in a while (for nothing else but to keep the splinters out of your *ss) - the leather seats at the Ralph and the Betty are WAY TOO COMFORTABLE for the crowd!!!