SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's Hockey the other D 1 Sport @UND

Riverman

Ok folks before you say checking and mini skirts. What can be done to bring fans to the games?

These young women deserve better for trying to play in a sport that folks see as a MENS sport.

I would like to see more attendance by UND fans for this great sport.

IMHO, ticket prices could be cheaper. Why you ask? They have to turn the lights on so UND should really try to promote more and maybe cheap tickets would help.

How about a few free tickets to a few of the local buisness places not just in Grand Forks but around the region.The Air base idea is great! I have met a few folks who have never been to any hockey games men or women's!

I give a thumbs up to Shantel she has the girls out in public places like the Mission serving hot meals and helping out in other places in the community!

Food for thought : UND avg attendance before todays games. UND 6,897 Opp 2,914 not bad but could be alot better.

end rant :D

it's just gonna take some time. I think womens hockey will become, at least, as popular as womens BB (1500-2000 regularly) but that took some time too. Patience is the key and continuing to keep the program growing...Shantel is doing a great job!!...I think she knows it's a long haul too...

I think the main problem with women's hockey attendance wise is that it's new and the demand for this niche isn't very high. The program is new and has very little tradition, if any at all. Now, mind you, that brings great opportunity to start a tradition, but when the men's team has the corner of the market, it's tough enough. However, I'm thinking that the local high school teams even hold the edge over the women's team among those people whose kids are NOT on the teams (assumably the uncommitted public).

If I had a choice between UND women's hockey and a Red River hockey game, I'd go to Red River. I think it's more personal preference more than anything, but that's another topic.

I've gone to two or three women's games so far and the best I can say was: BORING! Let's face it, one girl runs into another girl. The result? 2 minutes for body checking. LAME! I mean, even the music played during the game doesn't smell of sports, it smells of cheap R&B and LizzFair (or whatever that all chick lollipalooza is). Every time they get a goal scored on them we have to endure Twisted Sister. If I hear "We're not going to take it" just one more time.... :ohmy:

I've been saying it for years, but I'll say it again. Since the women's lib movement broke out, women have been beating down doors saying that they can do everything a man can do and do so just as well or better. I agree. They can. So, let's make them put there money where their mouths are and simply say "Ok" and implement men's rules on the women's game. There can be a few gives and takes along the way, but I don't see why checking shouldn't be allowed. If they were allowed to play the person and not the puck, which is what it was in the men's game, I think it wouldn't be a lot of figure skaters with sticks wearing pads moving a puck around while doing camels and triple sow cows while the best the defense can do is pray that their sticks can steal the puck without hitting one of the moving bodyparts. In other words, take the "women's" out of women's hockey and make it hockey that happens to have all female players. Lose the purses and pick up the sticks!

Edited by redwing77

Took the family to the Ohio State game that we won in OT scoring two goals in what? 73-74 seconds. It was a great game, and a good opportunity for both my kids to see that women can play sports too...and a little bit of a tussle between Funk and some Ohio State player right in front of us. ???

They do need to take the no checking rule out on all levels of women's hockey....from little girls all the way up to the international level.

I play and we hit, it's part of the game...and the most fun part.

Make it a party atmosphere.

Thursday night, dollar beers, dollar drinks. Get people into the games, maybe you'll get them hooked. Find a better time than Sunday at 2pm. that is just horrible to go up against football/hangovers. How about putting games on Channel 23? Someone is flipping through the stations and stops on it, guess what you've got them hooked, you won't see them at that game, but more than likely the second one will. If we treat it as a D1 sport and get some fans there, more will show.

"The people go, to where the beer will flow"

Hey guys Poncho here, i think the quality of the game needs to pick up. People like watching a fast paced intense game. I also believe checking needs to become accepted. Over here in Michigan girls teams have been going strong for about the last 15 years and still the play of a midget girls team is like that of a boys peewee team. The biggest recipe to draw fans is to win and to play good hockey while doing. I have nothing against girls hockey and I do believe the girls deserve better turnouts. I hope UND continues to improve in Division 1 and the crowds go with it.

Hey guys Poncho here, i think the quality of the game needs to pick up.  People like watching a fast paced intense game.  I also believe checking needs to become accepted.  Over here in Michigan girls teams have been going strong for about the last 15 years and still the play of a midget girls team is like that of a boys peewee team. The biggest recipe to draw fans is to win and to play good hockey while doing.  I have nothing against girls hockey and I do believe the girls deserve better turnouts.  I hope UND continues to improve in Division 1 and the crowds go with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heard a radio spot for a Family 4-pack of tickets for $16 bucks this weekend...good idea to make the tickets cheap although I'd advise loading everybody up with a good lunch before heading out...tickets cheap...CONCESSIONS EXTRA!!! (apologies to Paradiso ??? )

• 1 month later...

How about the games this weekend against UMD?!?

Wow...fast action both ways - even outshooting the Dogs! They proved that they can play with the nations leaders! Still room for lots of improvement - Penalty Kill. But with a much smaller bench they did fine. Great games! Amber stood on her head, and the defence really held their own.

i agree with the earlier post saying they need to take out the "women's" in women's hockey and just call it college hockey. They also need to do the same with the rules. checking needs to be part of the game. the speed of the game needs to pick up in order for it to be a sellable product. actually being part of a league now definately helps, but the game itself needs to be improved before you see a dramatic increase in following.