SiouxSports.com Forum

so far this season

chevyblaiser

I have been checking up on these boards for the most part of the season and I felt that it was my time to voice an opinon on what we have been witnessing thus far. This team has some potential there is no doubt about that, from the goal line up they are pretty solid. They are just not competing hard enough on a nightly basis and that is what is going to separate them from the rest of the difficult WCHA this season. Lets face it we lost a lot of offense in the offseason and that will be hard to replace but when is a guy like quinn fylling going to score a goal? Has he played this year yet? Rory is doing a great job and it doesn't help that Murray is out for awhile so that is not going to spice up any offense right now. And in my opinion there has been no one that has gone downhill more in his career here than schneider. Offensively and defensively he has been a complete non factor :lol: How do you score 40+ points one year and then score 30 less the next year. That shows there is no dedication from him which is why I think he is not captain this year. And as far as goaltending goes we have the best we have had in a few years here. But Federov, I am getting pretty annoyed of all of your posts ripping Jpar. He has given us a chance to win every game this year and that's all you ask of a goalie. How about in Maine? He basically won a game for us. Same with minnesota we were outshot 2 to 1 and managed to beat them. Every goalie in the world is going to have a bad night but from the way you make it sound we have siembida again. Lammy is good I am not questioning that, but as far as you saying parise should not dress the rest of the year is insane. Who was our starter for playoffs last year?? Oh yeah I forgot. But i bet you could to so much better that is why you bash all of them the moment you get a chance. When a goalie plays well I am all for playing him again, but I am convinced Jpar is our go-to-guy for the time being.

And in my opinion there has been no one that has gone downhill more in his career here than schneider. Offensively and defensively he has been a complete non factor :lol: How do you score 40+ points one year and then score 30 less the next year. That shows there is no dedication from him which is why I think he is not captain this year. And as far as goaltending goes we have the best we have had in a few years here. But Federov, I am getting pretty annoyed of all of your posts ripping Jpar. He has given us a chance to win every game this year and that's all you ask of a goalie.

I have been checking up on these boards for the most part of the season and I felt that it was my time to voice an opinon on what we have been witnessing thus far. This team has some potential there is no doubt about that, from the goal line up they are pretty solid. They are just not competing hard enough on a nightly basis and that is what is going to separate them from the rest of the difficult WCHA this season. Lets face it we lost a lot of offense in the offseason and that will be hard to replace but when is a guy like quinn fylling going to score a goal? Has he played this year yet? Rory is doing a great job and it doesn't help that Murray is out for awhile so that is not going to spice up any offense right now. And in my opinion there has been no one that has gone downhill more in his career here than schneider. Offensively and defensively he has been a complete non factor :lol: How do you score 40+ points one year and then score 30 less the next year. That shows there is no dedication from him which is why I think he is not captain this year. And as far as goaltending goes we have the best we have had in a few years here. But Federov, I am getting pretty annoyed of all of your posts ripping Jpar. He has given us a chance to win every game this year and that's all you ask of a goalie.  How about in Maine? He basically won a game for us.  Same with minnesota we were outshot 2 to 1 and managed to beat them. Every goalie in the world is going to have a bad night but from the way you make it sound we have siembida again. Lammy is good I am not questioning that, but as far as you saying parise should not dress the rest of the year is insane. Who was our starter for playoffs last year?? Oh yeah I forgot. But i bet you could to so much better that is why you bash all of them the moment you get a chance. When a goalie plays well I am all for playing him again, but I am convinced Jpar is our go-to-guy for the time being.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Philippe Lamoureux, Fr 5 2 2 1 9 303 1.78 0 140 .940

Jake Brandt, Sr 2 1 0 0 4 100 2.40 0 34 .895

Jordan Parise, So 6 2 3 1 17 329 3.10 0 139 .891

Hmm, I think you would have to be sniffing gold paint to think anyone other than Lamoureux is the #1 goalie right now.

I agree about Fylling, I really thought he would be one to step up and score around 40 points this season. Looks like I'm wrong.

Schneider had a dissapointing season last year, but I think the 02/03 season was a freak occurance. I'd bet close to 1/2 (probably more) of his points came from playing on the PP with Parise, Bochenski and Lundbohm. Last years PP sucked, and Schneider did not play on it much. This year it seems Greene and Jones play 1/2 of the game so Schneider doesn't see has much ice time. So far this year hasn't been great for him, but I think he will get some points once the forwards figure out how to put the puck in the net.

I'm hard on captains as it stands, although I am not sure how many times I've said my opinion openly, but I don't think production was why AS lost his captaincy. Blais' mindset always had defense before offense as it comes to defensemen. Apart from Roche, I can't remember the last true offensive dman to come to UND. If you view production as a means for legitimate Captaincy, then Peter Armbrust and Ryan Halewere both awful Captains as well.

Also sometimes being the Captain puts a new burden on your shoulders and more responsibility. At least that's what I've been told. Only rare individuals can perform all the duties as Captain and have it not affect your game at all.

I'm hard on captains as it stands, although I am not sure how many times I've said my opinion openly, but I don't think production was why AS lost his captaincy.  Blais' mindset always had defense before offense as it comes to defensemen.  Apart from Roche, I can't remember the last true offensive dman to come to UND.  If you view production as a means for legitimate Captaincy, then Peter Armbrust and Ryan Halewere both awful Captains as well.

Also sometimes being the Captain puts a new burden on your shoulders and more responsibility.  At least that's what I've been told.  Only rare individuals can perform all the duties as Captain and have it not affect your game at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Offensive Defenseman - Jason Herter

I'm hard on captains as it stands, although I am not sure how many times I've said my opinion openly, but I don't think production was why AS lost his captaincy.  Blais' mindset always had defense before offense as it comes to defensemen.  Apart from Roche, I can't remember the last true offensive dman to come to UND.  If you view production as a means for legitimate Captaincy, then Peter Armbrust and Ryan Halewere both awful Captains as well.

Also sometimes being the Captain puts a new burden on your shoulders and more responsibility.  At least that's what I've been told.  Only rare individuals can perform all the duties as Captain and have it not affect your game at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Travis Roche.

Perhaps the best Offensive DMan we've had.

And he didn't get a stupid penalty every ten minutes.

Schneider is a solid defenseman and fine team leader.

Hakstol is a good coach.

Lammy is fantastic. Parise is solid. Brandt should get some playing time. Goaltending on this team is a big strength.

The scoring will come around.

.500 hockey to start the year playing 5 nationally ranked teams ain't bad.

The Sioux will be in the hunt come March.

The sky is not falling.

The Gophers still suck.

Let me know if there are any other nagging questions that need to be cleared up.

Chevy,

I do not believe that I have bashed J Par. I have said that he has had some poor games, but most recently I have said that Phil is playing better. Without reading my long post again, maybe I was unclear with my comment about not dressing J Par. The way I see it, Phil is the starting goalie and he has outplayed J Par. I also disagree that he has given the team a chance to win in every game. Given that I see Phil as the starter, I do not expect Phil to be given a night off just to give another goalie a chance. We need all the wins we can get, so we need to stick with a hot goalie. I believe that Brandt deserves a chance to play, so it only makes sense to have him on the bench if Phil ever needs to be pulled. Or if Phil has a bad game, start Brandt the next game. If Brandt does not appear to be better than J Par, then bring J Par back. So I was not saying that J Par should never play for the rest of the season, rather that he lost his starting spot and now he needs to compete against Brandt as the back up. I think this information is all clear, and you need to quit putting words in my mouth. The fact that I give my opinion on the order of what string goalie they are says nothing about the quality. If I said I would play Roy, then Belfour, and then CuJo, am I really saying CuJo sucks? I would also take Simbieda over Kollar any day. :lol:

Since we are asking questions.... what is POI?  I feel dumb asking it I've tried to read into the posts and I find nothing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll take this one. It is the Gopher's hockey board. A much inferior technological electronic messaging product with less tolerant board administrators presiding over generally far less knowledgeable hockey fans who are pretty much known mostly as unemployed drunks who, by and large, have failed in most efforts at establishing meaningful relationships with anyone, who really like to talk about their Gopher hockey.

Pride On Ice. At least pretty much since they finally got a coach who had the balls and the brains to realize that to win a championship or two in POI Land he would need to go outside of Minnesota to find championship-caliber leaders in the Great State of North Dakota.

Check it out. What can be certainly said is that the POI Board is not nearly as advanced, in many ways, as is SS.com. No trash. Just fact.

Pride On Lice, er, I mean Ice.

On the subject of Quinn Fylling, You were wondering where he is and why he is not scoring? Difficult to rack up a 40 pt. season when two of every three shifts he and Perpich are killing off 5 on 3s and 5 on 4s.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, the constant penalty killing is also killing our offense. I'm waiting for Hak to pound some discipline into some of the repeat offenders' thick skulls. This pick-up league play is costing the team conference points... and in my book, that's serious enough to take action. IMO, he better do it now, because post-Christmas break is no time to have to mess with stupid sh*t like this. :lol:

Some former D-men with offensive talent: Nick Naumenko, Ian Kidd, Russ Parent, James Patrick, Marc Chorney, Travis Roche, Curtis Murphy.

Remember, the schedule has been a tough one, and the team hasn't been playing to their potential level (why, I don't know). I have confidence that the coaching staff will get things straightened out and the team will finish strong this season. We do need to have patience, even though I know we would like the Sioux to win every game they play. Remember that even the best teams we've ever had in GF have sometimes played below their expected level. This team seems to be still searching for it's identity. If they cut down on the needless penalties, they should do alright. No team can be successful playing 3 vs 5 for extended periods of a hockey game, and you don't have to be a genious to figure that out. I look for them to come out with fire in their eyes and fill the Huskies' net with pucks this weekend. This should be the start of a good run of consecutive wins for the Sioux!

Come to think of it, I've got one. Just what the heck does 7>4 mean these days anyway?

Here's one more. I've been thinking a switching my moniker to Dr. T, or The Pearl. Whachoo think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I have explained, the moniker was originally derived as a simple statement comparing the number of hairs on my head vs. the number on yours. Since I am now a full fledged member of The Hair Club for Men and your experiment with The Helsinki Formula has not turned out they way you planned, it seems obsolete. Sorry to open old wounds.

As for your moniker, although I like P'Earl, you will forever be NorthDakotaHockey. See what you can do to get our boys back on track this weekend. I predict 4-1, 5-0 Sioux sweep.