SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone think of a situation where a coach of program with a history of success, at a school with considerable resources, has gone as many as 10 years without so much as a conference title, and yet still kept his/her job? I'm sure it's happened, but probably not too often. I really like Rich Glas as a person, and I definitely don't want to see him simply fired where he'd be in a position of having to find another head coaching job at probably some small school to finish out the last 5-8 years of his career. But it's also pretty clear that he's not capable of taking the UND men's basketball program to where we'd all like to see it go. He just can't get the same results as Gene Roebuck or Dale Lennon, or that Dean Blais did when he was coaching here. As such, the best scenario for all involved would be for him to be re-assigned within the athletic department, or possibly in the alumni association/Fighting Sioux Club. I believe he's earned that courtesy, just as Dave Gunther had when he was in the same situation back in the late 80's. I believe there's an assistant a.d. job open right now, unless it's not going to be filled. Presumably, it won't be filled until the new a.d. is hired, so that the new a.d. can hire that person. Thoughts?

I agree that maybe he should be put somewhere else within the athletic department. But I think the whole men's basketball staff needs a complete over haul. Herbst and Riley got lucky a few times with a couple recruits, Beasley and Allen. Although Allen only played 8 or 9 games. The rest of the guys they've had maybe decent players but they definitely don't fit into Coach Glass small school slow down 1960's style of play. The whole program is going no where fast. UND has all the facilities and every opportunity to succeed but fails to do so. Look at all of the talented players that have come through the program in the past 5-6 seasons. What does he have to show for it, a bunch of 3rd, 4th, and 5th placed teams. Even with an NBA caliber player on the team he can't win a conference championship and get to the Elite 8. When he did have the best team in Division II he took them to the Elite 8 and got out coached.

Many people I've seen on this board have questioned the talent of the players at UND. They're no worse than any other team in the conference player for player, the difference is coaching. Every single season is a carbon copy of another. Start of the year hot, crack the top 25, lose 3 or 4 games to teams you should blow out (U of Mary), win 2 or 3 more then of course the annual late season slide. It's time to get the guy out of here, he is out of touch. Until then UND will always field a competitive team that never wins anything, the complete opposite of the high standards Roebuck has set.

IMHO, coach Glas is probably the most well-rounded and multi-talented individual in the entire athletic department. But those attributes do not necessarily translate well into coaching but would well serve the athletic deprartment or some other facet of the UND.

One of the few game I’ve seen in person lately was the UN-Kearney - UND game Thanksgiving weekend. The coaching adjustments that Tom Kropp and his assistants did for the Lopers to mount a comeback, even though they lost in overtime to UND, was inspiring. Afterwards, I happened to run into Kropp and complimented him on his tactical changes he made during the game. Although he was very gracious in response, my sense was that Kropp still seemed focused on the dynamics of what just transpired on the court and was already mentally making more adjustments for improvement. Glas doesn’t seem to have that certain extra intuitive focus that separates decent coaching from good to great coaching.

Anybody who knows coach Glas, knows he is a good guy with an engaging demeanor. Those of us that have heard him speak at Fargo Sioux Boosters know he has a great sense of humor and is joy to listen to, but for some reason there is something missing when it comes to coaching. Not that I think he is a bad coach, but I haven't been opposed to the idea of a coaching change for many years.

I remember back in the mid-90's, I believe; there was a year in particular when Northern State of SD made the regional tournament and UND didn't. They did it with a roster heavy with players from the State of ND. I remember hearing an interview with Glas months before the regional when he was asked why he didn't go harder after some of those kids playing at Northern and he said he didn't think they fit the UND mold and weren't the type to win big games. It was then that I began to question his eye for talent and his ability to sell the program.

He is a decent coach, but I, for one, don't know if it goes any farther than that!

Maybe the men have a chance in Mankato Tuesday night...could be possible suspensions coming after the UNO-MSUM game for the NCC title Sat night. Emotions got a little high after the 2 OT win by UNO. Possible punches thrown by players...Andy Moeller was the key player involved it sounds like. The NCC will be looking at the video. Maybe RT could help out his former employer out. :silly:

Adam Jacobsen will be starting for Lindahl tonight in Mankato.  Lindahl has shot 29% in the NCC this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lindahl's career has been very reminiscent of Jeff Brandt's. Both were good as sophomores and were all-NCC selections, both struggled on defense, and both lost their shooting touch as juniors. Hopefully Lindahl will work hard to come out of his funk instead of bolting for the DAC-10...

Very disappointing season for Lindahl after he put on some muscle finally and some of the spark he showed 2nd half last year. As much as I didn't care for Brandt, at least he showed some emotion where as Lindahl looks like someone just shot his dog every night. I don't know if Lindahl has it in him to come in and be a senior leader next year...but what do I know, I thought MJ and the other 4 seniors would come through. Instead it seems (I didn't see the Mankato game on Sat.) like they are not even giving a full effort the last half of the year. The USD and Duluth games were absolutely embarrassing.

Looks like the season is over now, with the loss to Mankato. With as much development as a player that Rypkema experienced in his career, its a shame he and the other seniors didn't at least make the NCAAs.

Question of the hour: will the acting AD Harmeson, O'Keefe, and/or the REA find a position for Richie? Personnel changes need to be done before a new AD is in place, so the new AD could participate in selecting a new coach without dealing with the negative baggage.

I wonder if anyone has had the time to really look at what a disappointing season this has been. And, we lose over 50% of our scoring and rebounds. Lindahl has lost it, Jacobson is not an everyday NCC player, etc. We have some decent recruits but unless we find 2-3 outstanding JC players, we will be less than .500 next year and will have trouble winning any NCC games.

Those of you in GF - is there much talk about this situation?

I wonder if anyone has had the time to really look at what a disappointing season this has been.  And, we lose over 50% of our scoring and rebounds.  Lindahl has lost it, Jacobson is not an everyday NCC player, etc.  We have some decent recruits but unless we find 2-3 outstanding JC players, we will be less than .500 next year and will have trouble winning any NCC games.

Those of you in GF - is there much talk about this situation?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There has been a lot of discontent for years, but last year I think most people were willing to cut Rich some slack due to the injuries. Clearly, that was not an excuse for this year's collapse. Right now, if a poll of season ticket holders was taken, I think about the only people who would want Rich retained are his close friends. The program is in serious need of new blood. I just hope Rich can admit that to himself and help this process along.

Yes, with the high expectations of a veteran team that only got worse as the season went on (again!), I think most BB fans now know it is the right time. The only reason that the ADept will sell/renew season tix will once again be the womens program. With all the changes going on in the ADept, now is the time to make a change. I have a feeling that if they don't do it now the new AD might give him some slack and a few years to see for himself what is going on. Hopefully Glas goes now so that he doesn't get to pass Gunther next year for all time wins. What a shame that would be!

Hopefully Glas goes now so that he doesn't get to pass Gunther next year for all time wins.  What a shame that would be!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a shame that would be? Why would you say this? Were you around in his early years of success, do you know the man? Maybe his time has come to go, but what a shame?

Yes, I have been here his whole tenure. Yes, I have met the man many times...whatever that has to do with anything. Glas is not even close to the coach Gunther was. Glas had his success with a few leftover Gunther recruits, the luck of Guldseth not being able to handle being away at LSU and North Dakota actually producing 3-4 quality players at one time and also a great asst in McDermott. Since Mac left, Glas has not did a darn thing! Also they each coached in different eras, the quality of teams that Gunther won against was a whole level higher against many teams that are now DI whereas Glas competes(and loses) against

Mary, Bemidji St, Concordia-St Paul, Minot St. So, defend the man and his mediocre, underachieving teams all you want, but it would be a shame!

Yes, with the high expectations of a veteran team that only got worse as the season went on (again!), I think most BB fans now know it is the right time.  The only reason that the ADept will sell/renew season tix will once again be the womens program. With all the changes going on in the ADept, now is the time to make a change.  I have a feeling that if they don't do it now the new AD might give him some slack and a few years to see for himself what is going on. Hopefully Glas goes now so that he doesn't get to pass Gunther next year for all time wins.  What a shame that would be!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Solid season? or Disappointing Season?

From GFH:

Glas also said it was a solid season.

"It's just disappointing when it ends this way, because that's what sticks in your mind," he said

That quote even scares me more about Glas, "solid season". Since when is losing 6 out the last 8 a solid season. :silly: Yes, Rich that is disappointing and it sticks in our minds too....and your teams do it to us every year. For those those that follow college hockey, doesn't the men's yearly swoon remind you of the St Cloud hockey teams. That is one quote we would never hear from Roebuck or most anyone for that matter.

That is one quote we would never hear from Roebuck or most anyone for that matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, in fact, Roebuck would be mad and pretty pissed about it. Glas doesn't have that kind of demeanor and I think that adds to some of our impatience with him, we would like to see him angry about the way the season ended, but instead, he talks about the season as being a solid one. :silly:

6-6 (6-7 counting the tournament) in the NCC is not solid by any means. The non-conference season was solid, but that's meaningless when you're not even over .500 in the league. Labeling the season as anything other than a big disappointment is just delusional. And as others have said, next year is looking far, far worse.

And as others have said, next year is looking far, far worse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I honestly don't feel that the players and the talent level is to blame. Granted we could use some more help but we have some guys that can play. This year while there was no outspoken leader you had guys that can get things done. Glass has a way of getting into good players head and taking them completely out of their games, especially perimeter players. Look at the history of wing players that had talent but under Glass were very inconsistent, Marcus Travis, Tom Jacobson, Curtis Munlin, Mario Porter, Jeff Brandt, the list could go on. I believe all of these players had their moments and to my knowledge all made at least honorable mention all conference but were better than that. Every year is going to be the same and every game plan is going to be the same for each opponent each year. The same game plan he used on Mankato in '96 is probably the same as the one used last night. Teams change, the game has changed but Glass refuses to. Fans have to be sick of the call a play down the court everytime, feeding it to the big man. Make a few cuts if he gets double teamed kick out and hopefully we'll knock down the shot. In order for UND men's team to get to the level of the women's we need a coach who can adjust his game plan to fit his team's talent and not make player's who aren't used to his style of play adjust to his acient style.