SiouxSports.com Forum

Men's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was great to see the Ryp of last year this weekend. He scored over 50 points on the weekend and was nearly unstoppable. The Sioux are just a different team when he's playing at his best. Perhaps the most impressive statistic about the Sioux right now is the 6-1 record against teams ranked in the north central region poll.

Am I the only one looking at this newest top 25 and absolutly laughing at it?? UND is 4-1 against the top 25 and 18-4 overall. Metro loses to Colo Mines last week and drops 1 spot to #2. The Sioux have beaten Mankato, now at #4 (and how do they only drop 1 spot after losing to UND??), Florida Gulf Coast, which checks in at #18 with a 15-4 record, and Omaha, which is at #20 I believe, 2 times. Oddly enough, USD, which was at #18 last week and plays the softest schedule chalk full of NAIAs every single year, only slips 4 spots to #22 this week despite losing 2 games. Weird. Guess who does the voting for the top 25 from our region......you guessed it, none other then USD's Dave Boots. Granted USD did beat UND by 20, but give me a break. UND has played one of the toughest D2 schedules in the country. They are on top of a revived NCC right now despite being scheduled a ridiculously, almost unfair first 5 league games, playing each of the 4 so called "haves". This new poll is ridiculous. I realize it is the national poll so it really doesn't mean much, but WOW. Hopefully the regional poll is a bit more representative of the way things are. If the Sioux aren't minimum #4 there (after Ft Lewis for sure, Metro, and maybe Mankato) something is horribly wrong. UND is now 6-1 vs last weeks regional top 10.

Am I the only one looking at this newest top 25 and absolutly laughing at it??  UND is 4-1 against the top 25 and 18-4 overall.  Metro loses to Colo Mines last week and drops 1 spot to #2.  The Sioux have beaten Mankato, now at #4 (and how do they only drop 1 spot after losing to UND??), Florida Gulf Coast, which checks in at #18 with a 15-4 record, and Omaha, which is at #20 I believe, 2 times.  Oddly enough, USD, which was at #18 last week and plays the softest schedule chalk full of NAIAs every single year, only slips 4 spots to #22 this week despite losing 2 games.  Weird.  Guess who does the voting for the top 25 from our region......you guessed it, none other then USD's Dave Boots.  Granted USD did beat UND by 20, but give me a break.  UND has played one of the toughest D2 schedules in the country.  They are on top of a revived NCC right now despite being scheduled a ridiculously, almost unfair first 5 league games, playing each of the 4 so called "haves".  This new poll is ridiculous.  I realize it is the national poll so it really doesn't mean much, but WOW.  Hopefully the regional poll is a bit more representative of the way things are.  If the Sioux aren't minimum #4 there (after Ft Lewis for sure, Metro, and maybe Mankato) something is horribly wrong.  UND is now 6-1 vs last weeks regional top 10.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorta like the Sioux hockey teams, but reversed. The Sioux teams preseason national poll usually have them near the top (10). Regardless of recorders etc, they seem to up there. Whether you agree or not, polls are generally based on historical success at the national level. The UND Men's basketball program has little of that.

latet regional rankings

1. Minnesota State Mankato 12-1 18-2

2. Metropolitan State 10-1 15-1

3. Fort Lewis 8-1 13-2

4. North Dakota 11-3 18-4

5. Nebraska-Omaha 8-2 16-3

6. South Dakota 7-3 15-3

7. St. Cloud State 9-3 14-4

8. Northern State 6-3 13-4

9. Colorado Christian 9-3 14-3

10. Colorado School of Mines 7-4 13-4

The Dakota Student last week gave some clues into the leadership this team.

http://www.thedakotastudent.com/vnews/disp...7/41f96e42e0c7a

"Leadership is critical if we want to move on and win titles," said Glas.

With 24 games played this year the Sioux have not chosen a true leader, but rather a group of leaders.

"We are led by committee. [Todd Rypkema]has taken the bull by the horns on the court, but there is a lot more to being a leader then being good on the court. You have to step up in the locker-room, on the court, off the court and in every situation," Glas said.

He added, "We have a group of seniors that have taken these roles. Steve Bradley has been the most vocal of the group. He will get the team together and get them back on track when things start to fall apart. Now we are not the most verbal team, but more silent leadership occurs then is shown."

With the loss to Augustana, the St. Cloud game will be a big test for the team’s leadership. If this team can get rid of its inconsistency evident again Saturday plaquing it, it could make some noise.

One of the more revealing insights, imho, into teamwork and sacrificial leadership by a Fighting Sioux team was from this past Saturday, and it wasn’t found in the sports section:

NAOMI DUNAVAN COLUMN: Jim Goodrich

On reflection, the 70’s basketball teams seemed to have shared leadership and spiritual traits with certain other Sioux teams that have probably exceeded expections based on talent alone: such as recent Sioux football teams or Lee Goren-led hockey teams. And the reverse seems also to be true: those teams where the athletic leadership is more selfish than sacrificial in character seem to underachieve.

The guys picked up some nice wins this weekend. Saturday night's game was especially fun to watch with the overtime win. I was a little disappointed to see so many people get up and leave when the game went into overtime though. :0 I mean come on, that is the most exciting part of a game.

Good to see two wins over the weekend, but that away loss to Augustana seems big now with three tough road games left. Since all other NCC teams have now made a UND appearance: Is there any team in the NCC that has more talent the the Sioux starting five? What needs to happen for the Sioux to go up a level in performance?

Good to see two wins over the weekend, but that away loss to Augustana seems big now with three tough road games left.  Since all other NCC teams have now made a UND appearance:  Is there any team in the NCC that has more talent the the Sioux starting five?  What needs to happen for the Sioux to go up a level in performance?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMO, with this talk of leadership and lack of it for the most part, i start to question the head coaching of this team. It seems that we have better than average talent that only produces mediocre results. dont get me wrong, our record is good and we have played well against top teams, it is unexusable to lose to the bottom feeders in the league. perhaps the leadership should come from the top, Coach Glas. let me know what yall think bout glas....just interested in the general consensus. :0

I believe Lindahl (Cando), Dobmeier (Fargo South) and Adam Jacobson (Shanley) all came out of high school the same year, and it appeared all would have outstanding college careers. Unfortunately, none of them has really performed up to expectations IMO. Lindahl has clearly been the best of the three, and does have an all-conference selection to his credit, but he's still got to be considered an under-achiever thus far considering his 6'10" height and shooting ability. At least he has another year to go (as does Jacobson) due to having taken a red-shirt year, but Lindahl's defense and Jacobson's offense have a long way to go to be considered anything other than at least somewhat disappointing. I'm not sure whether Dobmeier's problems were injury-related, weight-related, or something else altogether, but he certainly hasn't been the explosive athlete and scorer in college that he was at Fargo South.