SiouxSports.com Forum

No stars

Doc Nodak

First, let's give UAA some credit. They played a very good road game. They didn't give the Sioux much room, they got solid goaltending, and they capitalized on a couple of opportunities. Good win for the Seawolves.

I don't completely buy the theory that the lackluster performance by the Sioux was due to a lack of effort. I think most of the guys were skating hard. They certainly were way off in their passing and puckhandling.

I do think the Sioux are lacking some on-ice leadership. I suspect it is NOT because of any character defects on the part of the upperclassmen. Quite the contrary. I think the missing ingredient is star players. In the "Fight on Sioux" book, Gino Gasparini was quoted as saying that you need some players in the top 5% of all players in the country to win championships. Frankly, I don't think the Sioux have anybody in that category right now. The Sioux have a bunch of good players, and some young players who look like they will be good players. Great players? Hmm.. When a big play is needed, there is no Jeff Panzer, Travis Roche, Jason Blake, Lee Goren, etc.

In many respects this season has unfolded much as I would have anticipated. OK, it's been a little tougher in the Ralph than I would have thought. The mantra is still patience. It will come. UND isn't going to win championships every year. Other teams are good. Give Dean and his boys a break.

Thanks, Doc.  I think you're so right.  The team just isn't ready to dominate at this point.  I do think that as juniors and seniors, some of the players in this freshman class will be stars, not just good players.  If you look through Sioux history and other WCHA teams as well, there have been many dominating upperclassmen who were hardly noticed as freshmen.

Thanks for also pointing out that the defensive effort is better as well.  Scoring droughts happen, but they end.  As long as the defense and goaltending are there, the team will be in a position to win.  I like to remember when the Sioux went 119 minutes in St. Cloud without scoring a goal, losing that weekend 3-0 and tying 1-1.  That punchless team went on to beat BC in the finals.

I'm not predicting that result for this team, but perspective is good.  I haven't been there, so I shouldn't say, but I'm disappointed in the booing as well.  Support the guys.  It's a college team.