SiouxSports.com Forum

volleyball joke!

CougarHater1993

I want winning teams for every program in UND Athletics.

I also want the coaches to know what the standard is.

I don't want any UND Athletics program to become a "revolving door" for coaches because of a single sub-0.500 season after a couple winning ones.

The standard to this point for coaches with preceding winning records has been a down season with a young team doesn't alone put a coach "on the outs". The next season is when the tough scrutiny comes and actions are taken (if warranted).

Late edit: That's no insult to Blais or Lennon. They earned theirs. Bruggeman, by the same standard, has earned hers. We know what Lennon and Blais did after down years. Let's see what happens in this case and go from there.

.500 in the conference every year, or one game above.

You cannot jutify the record by beating Mayville St, Minot St., Northern St so you are above .500 overall.

You can compare UND volleyball to SDSU football, all the resources and never win, average at best!!

UND does not want avg teams like SDSU football!!

Late edit: That's no insult to Blais or Lennon. They earned theirs. Bruggeman, by the same standard, has earned hers. We know what Lennon and Blais did after down years. Let's see what happens in this case and go from there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not including this season:

Dale Lennon - 5 years - 3 conference championships - 1 national title - 1 national runnerup

Dean Blais - 10 years - 5 conference championships - 2 national titles - 1 national runnerup

Maria Bruggeman - 6 years - best conference finish 4th - 2 regional appearances - 1 victory.

What standard are you using?

Again, I'm not saying that she should go. I don't follow volleyball that closely. But from my perspective, she has not earned a down year pass if you use the Lennon/Blais standard.

What standard will Hakstol be held to when he has a very young team a year from now?

I'm trying to be consistent: Come off winning season (and NCAA appearance) to a sub-par performance and get one (<--- key word) more chance to prove yourself.

More food for thought:

NDSU's VB coach has 2 seniors, 1 junior, 6 sophomores, and 5 freshman, and a 7-17 record this year. Should she be on the hot-seat also? Sure it's a different situation, but her wins are over "lesser" programs (like MSU-Moorhead) and she has the funding also. What's the standard there?

I'm just trying to find the standard that the UND coaches are expected to live to. If my standard is too easy, show me one that is consistent and works for the long-term goals of UND Athletics and I'll gladly get on board.

Boy I'm glad these decisions aren't mine. I don't know how RT lives in that fishbowl.

Where'd the career record start from? Did it get tilted by taking over a struggling program? What's been the direction of the program to this point? Are there logical explanations for a problematic season (youth)?

Last season, 2003-2004, only improved the career conference record. It had to have been in that realm before that season.

If 0.336 is the tripwire for removal, why wasn't she removed before last season?

What's the standard?

i had heard that this forum was talking about UND volleyball. i just want everyone's opinion if it would be grounds for a coach removal if the coach voluntarily did not go on a road trip with the team. maria did not go with us to omaha and not only did she not go but she lied to us and said that administration would not let her come because she had to stay for the alumni game in grand forks. we eventally found out that administration gave her the ok to skip the alumni game but she still did not go with us. just wondering what a player should do? should we take action with roger?

PS - Never panic. .... (And that's not sports advice, that's life advice.)

And it's time again for another episode of "Sports Advice or Life Advice?":

i had heard .... should we take action with roger?

If you have a problem with someone, first make sure what you think you know really is fact by going to the person and asking. Stories do get crossed up. In this situation the question is perfectly in bounds. It goes to commitment to duties.

Try to resolve the situation at the most direct level.

Next, if you can't resolve the situation at that level, go to that person's boss. Ask that person to look into the matter. Ask them to compare what you were told versus what they know versus what they find when they look into the matter. If that doesn't get a resolution, go up one more level.

It's a pretty simple approach and it works just about anywhere.

The Administrator on this board has told us time and time again that folks within Hyslop Sports Center both read and post to this forum.

As the learned, wise, and aged PCM asks us, how will posting things like this anonymously make the situation any better? If you believe there is a problem deal with it head-on.

My answer to your question: Have you dealt with the matter head-on at the direct level?

The strong take on challenges from the front. The rest crank the rumor mill.

Thus endeth the lesson.

i wasn't really asking how to approach roger i was just saying that these are some of the things that she has done to us this year and i was wondering if you people thought that her not coming with on the roadtrip and lying to us about why she didn't could be something that roger should know about.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If what you are saying is fact, Roger absolutely should know. It is your responsibility as a member of the team and for the good of the program and the University to inform him of this.

Good luck!