SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Basketball

UND Fan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone in Grand Forks seen the UND men's basketball team working out?  I realize practice hasn't started yet but the guys are always play in the afternoon.

Wondering how the new point guard, Myron Allen, looks.

Scott Swygman has said on more than one occasion on KKXL that he's seen Allen and he's the real deal. I also hear that Cara Demaine has looked very good in pick-up games for the womens team. On paper, this could be a very good season for both teams.

I see that the rosters are now posted on the UND athletics website. Evan Lindahl is up to about 235 pounds, and listed at 6'10". That may be stretching things a little, but if he's even close to that size, with his offensive ability, the Sioux could have a devestating 1-2 punch with he and Beasley inside, and Brandt, Allen, Porter, Johnson, et al outside.

He wasn't going to class and had a bad attitude. The coaching staff still wonders what he would have been like had he not been injured. He was supposedly one of the most talented recruits they have ever brought in. They are saying the same about Myron Allen this year. He is the "real deal"!

A tidbit in the Herald today: Beasley named tops in Division II.

UND senior Jerome Beasley has been named the Division II Bulletin pre-season player of the year. .....averaged 21.7 points and 7.9 rebounds last season .....

Jerome has also gained 15-20 pounds from last year - in the right places. With the returning cast and Myron Allen plus some help from frosh Lindahl, they could be very good this year. A lot will depend if Jeff Brandt can "light it up" from the outside. If so, it could be a great year!

This should be the best Sioux team since the days of Guldseth and Vonesh. With most of the guys returning from last year, we should be able to avoid the slow start that kept us from going to the regional last year.

I've noticed some publications have SDSU ranked as high as 2nd in the country preseason, so they'll be tough. This is the year that the NCAA tournament expands to 64 teams, so I would expect the Sioux to be there with a chance to get back to the Elite Eight.

Evan Lindahl is 6'10" and has also added some weight over the summer - he really needs to toughen up more. This likely will happen as he matures. He should be an immediate offensive threat. Great shooter, even from 3 point range! Defense has quite a ways to go!

I believe that there is another Lindahl coimg along. Probably an 8th grader or freshman in high scyhool - already 6'4" or 6'5". Hopefully, he will be another future Sioux.

Coach Glas received his first commitment yesterday: Josh Doyle, a 6'1" point guard from Pleasant Vally High School in Bettendorf, IA. A Top 25 in the sate of Iowa.

I am sure someone will attach the story from the Herald. Doing so is well beyond my level of expertise.

Another commitment -- Mike Gutter from Rufus King HS in Milwaukee. A 6'71/2" power forward with potential to grow. Averaged 14 points last season. He plays on a team with two excellent guards who will go DI so he probably won't have tremendous scoring stats this season.

A real good recruit for the Sioux. It is nice to see them get some good freshmen coming in.

DMB:

Looks like Rich is loading up here. I dread another season of Jerome Beasley and Lollar. Both very good. Jerome probably would be playing with the U of Texas Longhorns or some other D1 school had he not had enough credits of of JUCO to graduate. From what I understand a requirement in order to transfer to a D1 school. Networking at UND no doubt landed the prize Beasley. Definitely one of the best in the NCC for long time.

I am a little surprised that SDSU has not inked anyone yet, with 7 or 8 seniors on this years team, its going to be a major rebuild next year.

Robert Lollar left the team before the season. I think DMB posted on why earlier in this thread. I know he was hurt much of last year. Glas did pick up what many say is a gem of a JUCO transfer in Myron Allen though. Should be an interesting year, maybe the Sioux can challenge the Jackrabbits.

Regarding Lollar, I went back and read DMB post that indicates he left and was struggling in the class room. SDSU lost Mike Peek for the same reason. We have everyone back except Andy Cone and Peek.

Schantz, Cervny, Hansen, and about four others are seniors, and you hope they can stay focused for one more season. But I would expect both UND, USD and SCSU to give us the most competition. I hate to see the NCC go up in smoke as in basketball its competition from January to March.

Out women lost Jamie Nelson and Cherrie Johnson, all our freshmen are back.

Next SDSU in the mens program will have a bunch of Juco's it appears.I just hope they have some academic skills to match the basketball skills.