SiouxSports.com Forum

New server / forum software

administrator

Thanks again for all the work that the rest of us can benefit from. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is the best of the hockey forums I've seen. It really helps a fan who is not in Grand Forks to stay "close" to what is going on. Really enhances the fan experience.

Thanks again.

Not a problem with the server/new site but the link to fightingsioux.com on the home football page needs updating.

Good catch. I had already updated that once, but I had been working on the new page design for quite a while so when I finally switched over, some of the updates reverted.

I'm woefully behind on updating everything for the new season, I've been wasting all my SiouxSports time on this server move and the new football page design (which is much more standards-compliant, smaller, etc...).

Good catch. I had already updated that once, but I had been working on the new page design for quite a while so when I finally switched over, some of the updates reverted.

I'm woefully behind on updating everything for the new season, I've been wasting all my SiouxSports time on this server move and the new football page design (which is much more standards-compliant, smaller, etc...).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dang you're right, You don't even have any Football game pictures up!! :D:D

I miss the "hockey home" link on the top of the forum.  Is that in a different place, or does this forum not have it?

Fixed. It's actually been there the whole time but a slight mistake in my code made it be white text on a white background in IE only (I missed it because it looked just like it does now, white on black, from other browsers).

Cookies seem to have issues...I have to log in every day now (doesn't seem to keep the "remember me" dealio)...just an FYI...

WPoS

Yeah, that's related to the fact that you're hitting parts of the board by IP address instead of domain name (cookies are stored based on the domain name part of the address). Once the domain name has propagated throughout the net with the new address (within a day or two), I'll switch everything over to use just the domain name and that problem should go away.

all fixed for me now!

Other thing I wanted to give you props on...

this new software is pretty nice...I have noticed LITTLE things (find quoted post, veiw last unread post in a thread, etc) that make life easier here....so good choice on the 'ware!

WPoS

• 2 weeks later...
The http://fanlogs.com/siouxsports.19.permalink (RSS feeds) are way cool. Especially nice in Mozilla's firefox browser, which allows their addition to the bookmarks toolbar by clicking the RSS link in the status bar while on a page that has RSS links.

I've been meaning to add those forever because it's a pretty trivial extension. What really pushed me was the new My Yahoo! allowing RSS feeds as news sources; it's kind of weird seeing SiouxSports.com news on my My Yahoo! page, but I definitely like it :blush:

For the techies, there is one current limitation in that the pubDates are a little funky (the times are all set to midnight and the date is the actual date of the article instead of the date it was published onto SiouxSports.com). That limitation is non-trivial because a lot of RSS readers rely on the accuracy of those dates to determine if anything is new (for example, if your reader checked already this morning, then I post a new article with a date of midnight today, the reader might not pick up on that as new).

I have a plan to fix it -- the database has always actually kept track of article date and posting date separately, but to actually use the posting date in the RSS feed is going to require some pretty big work to the news management screens I use to determine what stories get displayed. The price you pay for not using off-the-shelf content management software, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
ok, I give....

What's the "quote" button at the bottom of each posting for?  Used to use that to quote a post that you were replying to.  Now the "reply" button does that.

Help.    :(

Update: OK, here's the deal, you can hit the quote button on multiple posts (it's a toggle switch) and then hit the "add reply" button at the top or bottom and include quotes from multiple other posts. The quick reply (embedded in each post, as opposed to the "Add Reply" at the top and bottom) automatically pulls in the replied-to message as a quote.

• 3 weeks later...
Does this forum software allow the function to ignore people?  It would be nice to be able to choose if we want to ignore the trolls.  It has worked great on another forum that I frequent, so it would be a nice option for people that want to use it.

Yeah, when you see a post from someone you judge ignorable, just click on their name and "ignore this user" should be one of the choices in their member card thingy. You can then manage those settings from "My Controls".