SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

We can use this thread to look in on the progress of some future Sioux players as they play in high school and various junior leagues. I'd like to try to keep discussion of recruiting and potential future recruits out of this one, if possible.

For now, the list of players to watch includes:

Zach Jones, USNDPT

Chris Vandevelde, Moorhead HS

Brad Miller, Green Bay (USHL)

T.J. Oshie, Warroad HS

Brian Lee, Moorhead HS

Ryan Duncan, Salmon Arm (BCHL)

Taylor Chorney, Shattuck St.Marys

Feel free to post updates throughout the year, especially if someone happens to actually *see* someone play. Thanks.

As noted in another thread, Ryan Duncan has begun play in the BCHL. Here are a few observations from the BCHL board:

"Salmon Arm fans...a question about little # 22. (I think his name is Ryan Duncan)...this kid was pure magic on Friday night. I forsee him being the leading scorer in the BCHL if he can stay healthy. However, at 5'6" 142 lbs I was waiting for him to get hammered and that's exactly what happened and he didn't finish the game. He also didn't dress last night in Merritt. Can anyone update me on his condition. I would love to see this kid play as often as possible. He took an elbow square in the noggin and I knew he was in trouble (don't think it was on purpose, as someone at 5'6" is going to run into elbows of much bigger players). Thanks in advance."

"Ryan Duncan was absolutely unbeleavable on Friday night until he got put out of the game. He is short and his head is at the perfect elbow height but as the season goes on the team will realize the importance of protecting him (I'm sure they have been reminded of this since Friday's game). Reminds me a bit of Cliff Ronning when he played junior and like Ronning he'll have to learn to keep his head up. And I agree that he will be in the top of the scoring heap."

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice comments (and concerns ) for Duncan's first game. Noticed he didn't play the second game and wondered why. The Silverback message board is totally quiet about the first two games. Giving up that many goals will do that, I guess, as they got swept and the point leader in the league after two game is a Merrit winger who had 10 points (in 2 games) vs the Silverbacks.

Where, by the way, did you find a BCHL message board? I couldn't locate one this weekend.

Taylor Chorney

Shattuck Web Site Schedule is available here, and last year you could get the roster and stats at this link. It doesn't show that link now, hopefully that's because it hasn't been updated with such. The stats were only updated occasionally through the year

Zach Jones

USNTDP (I'm assuming this will be more informative as time goes on)

Brad Miller

Green Bay Gamblers Roster and team info

USHL League stats

Ryan Duncan

Salmon Arm Silverbacks Roster and team info

BCHL Site League stats

As for Chris Vandevelde, Brian Lee and T.J.Oshie, hopefully someone else will contribute a method of staying up to date with what they are doing, if there is one.

Shattuck plays the jets this week in fargo i think its on friday night. so Chorney will be there i spose.

You are correct, i spose! :p:love: Puck drops at 7:05 p.m. at the new southwest arena, which is near the southeast corner of I94 and 45th St. South. Beware, because of road construction, I do not believe you can get to the arena off of 45th St, but you can get there off of 42nd St. So.

I think Duncan finished as the leading scorer, though Jonathon Toews was catching up quickly as the year wore on.

I think Miller was in the top handful of scorers, and Chorney appeared to have solid scoring stats for a defenseman. This is all from memory of the final stats that I saw (many months ago) and I don't remember specific numbers.

I just got home from the Jets game and Shattuck lost 8-6. Chorney looked decent not that big of a standout. That Jonathon Toews looks like a solid center.

I saw the first two periods (when I wasn't preoccopied with the two seven-year-olds under my charge). This was an exhibition game for the Jets. I got the feeling that Shattuck was approaching the game that way too. Everybody played a lot and I think all six defensemen had nearly equal ice time.

Chorney didn't have a great game. He was average--at best--in his own end. Nonetheless, his skills and potential were evident. He is a great skater. He jumped up into the play a couple of times with great explosiveness. He is very smooth. His style of play is similar to Brian Lee (another future Sioux from Moorhead High). He also looks to have grown a bit. He's done well at the National Select and international levels. I think he'll be an outstanding college player.

Other Shattuck players I noticed:

C-Jonathan Toews has spectacular skill with the puck. He is still young, and he seemed to be a bit of a target for rough stuff from some of the Jets. He handled it well.

W-Kyle Okposo is a man among boys. Very strong, physical, AND great skills. Apparently, a major recruiting target of the Gophers. Played on a line with Chay Genoway. Also played on the point on the powerplay--and ran into Chorney in their own end a couple of times.

W-Michael Gergen played on a line with Toews. Good speed and skills. I don't think he's a superstar, but he can definitely play.

C-Angelo Esposito. I think he's a younger kid, but I'm not sure. Played on a third line with Tyler Ruegsegger (sp?). They were the most effective combination for SSM early in the game. Esposito is tall, rangy, and very dangerous with the puck.

W-Chay Genoway. I'd heard he was "better than (brother) Colby" at the same age. I'm not convinced.

D-Tyson Dowzek. Big and mobile. I'd like to see more of him.

He is very impressive. Last year he was listed at 6-5 200+lbs as a sophomore :D He is from Fergus Falls, I remember hearing about him in youth hockey. Unlike Beaverson he is a very good skater and good with the puck. Beaverson was a gamble, I think the Sioux picked him becuase of his size, thinking he would improve other parts of his game. Dowzek already has a fairly complete game for his age. He is one kid that will likely be taken fairly high in the NHL draft. Assuming there will still be an NHL when he's old enough. :)

I saw the first two periods (when I wasn't preoccopied with the two seven-year-olds under my charge). This was an exhibition game for the Jets. I got the feeling that Shattuck was approaching the game that way too. Everybody played a lot and I think all six defensemen had nearly equal ice time.

Chorney didn't have a great game. He was average--at best--in his own end. Nonetheless, his skills and potential were evident. He is a great skater. He jumped up into the play a couple of times with great explosiveness. He is very smooth. His style of play is similar to Brian Lee (another future Sioux from Moorhead High). He also looks to have grown a bit. He's done well at the National Select and international levels. I think he'll be an outstanding college player.

Other Shattuck players I noticed:

C-Jonathan Toews has spectacular skill with the puck. He is still young, and he seemed to be a bit of a target for rough stuff from some of the Jets. He handled it well.

W-Kyle Okposo is a man among boys. Very strong, physical, AND great skills. Apparently, a major recruiting target of the Gophers. Played on a line with Chay Genoway. Also played on the point on the powerplay--and ran into Chorney in their own end a couple of times.

W-Michael Gergen played on a line with Toews. Good speed and skills. I don't think he's a superstar, but he can definitely play.

C-Angelo Esposito. I think he's a younger kid, but I'm not sure. Played on a third line with Tyler Ruegsegger (sp?). They were the most effective combination for SSM early in the game. Esposito is tall, rangy, and very dangerous with the puck.

W-Chay Genoway. I'd heard he was "better than (brother) Colby" at the same age. I'm not convinced.

Kermit, I was at the game and agree with your assessment.

I was very impressed with Okposo - he is the real deal. Although Chorney seemed to play a lot the first period, he didn't seem to get as much icetime the last two periods, however, he is a very fluid skater and strong on his skates. It appeared that SSM was definitely giving all their players a chance to play in different situations.

I thought Gergen was one of the top couple of players on the ice. He recently committed to Duluth and seems to fit the Sandelin mold - speedy, skilled and very gritty.

Esposito at one point was ranked the #1 '89 recruit in North America, if I am not mistaken. He is young, but very good. IMO, he had the prettiest goal of the night when he raced up the right wing and blew past the dman before schooling the Fargo goalie.

Also, #22, Deeth, I believe, is a Notre Dame recruit. He played on a line with Okposo and Genoway and was fun to watch. He is a little pest.

It was fun watching Toews play and noticed that the Jets payed him special attention and stayed in his face all game. I am not sure if that is because he is highly skilled, because of his style of play or because he was talking some trash - perhaps all three, but he certainly saw his share of lumber.

Of note: SSM's goaltending was atrocious last night. I doubt that happens often, but neither goalie (they split time) had a good game. They were out of position, often slow to react and let in several shots that probably shouldn't go in at any level.

I remember playing against that Tyson Dowzak in Peewees when he was for Fergus Falls everyone was 5 feet tall then he was 6'5 but not as skilled, since then this is the first time ive seen him play and he impressed me. He isnt as stringy and is smart with the puck.

Does any one know if Angelo Esposito related to the old pros Phil or Tony.

The one goalie Brycen Eberwein i think is from Grand Forks.

The Dman Dallas Bossort is from Bismarck.

I remember playing against that Tyson Dowzak in Peewees when he was for Fergus Falls everyone was 5 feet tall then he was 6'5 but not as skilled, since then this is the first time ive seen him play and he impressed me. He isnt as stringy and is smart with the puck.

Does any one know if Angelo Esposito related to the old pros Phil or Tony.

The one goalie Brycen Eberwein i think is from Grand Forks.

The Dman Dallas Bossort is from Bismarck.

Salmon Arm has won their last two games, and are now 2-2. Duncan has been out with a concussion since game 1, but has not been added to the BCHL injured reserve list. He may be back by next weekend.

just returned from the buc bowl....miller and the gamblers struggled the first game losing 7-2 to tri city, miller had an assist. game 2- gamblers lose 4-3 to omaha, miller with 2 assists. game 3- gamblers beat lincoln 8-0, miller with 2 goals and 1 assist. 6 pts in first 3 USHL games isnt to bad

just returned from the buc bowl....miller and the gamblers struggled the first game losing 7-2 to tri city, miller had an assist. game 2- gamblers lose 4-3 to omaha, miller with 2 assists. game 3- gamblers beat lincoln 8-0, miller with 2 goals and 1 assist. 6 pts in first 3 USHL games isnt to bad

Any scouting report on Miller's style of play? Similar players? Strengths and weaknesses?

Miller will be a tremendous addition to the team. Many will tell you that he had the best hands of anyone on the SSM team last year. He has all the skills...great hands, good skating, good vision, great attitude. I was told that he only needs time to put all the pieces into a total package. Once he gets it all together, he'll be a great college player. I don't think anyone really knows if that will happen by next year or the year after, but judging by his first week in the ushl, it looks like it's coming along quickly. He's probably also the best roller-hockey player in the country.

I think Oshie and VandeVelde are similar situations. Oshie has tremendous hands also and could probably be compared to Bochenski in that regard. He'll pick a corner of the net like Bo did and you'll ask yourself "how'd he do that". Some have knocked Oshie's skating, but his skating is pretty good....much better than Bochenski's was and Bo's wasn't that bad. He seemed to do fine when he took the puck away from Ballard and skated down to the other end and put the puck past the goalie. Oshie is almost impossible to knock off the puck, and when someone does try hit him, they are usually the one sent flying.

VandeVelde is someone the coaches wanted to get signed before other programs recognized his talent. He is very skilled and I think we'll all be surprised at the amount of talent he has. It will be fun watching him this year.

With these three coming in and some other "high-profile" recruits looking at UND, I doubt the program will miss a beat with Hak, Berry and Eades.

Any scouting report on Miller's style of play? Similar players? Strengths and weaknesses?

They must have adjusted down one of his assists.

Poinstreak has him at 5 points for the tournament. Still, a repectable number.

Miller, Brad GB F 3games, 2goals, 3assists, 5pts, +2, 2ppg, .400 spct

Tied for 3rd overall in points.

If you look real carefull....WAY down the list, you'll find Wheeler with 2 assists. I thought he would have a better tournament.

Oshie is going to play before and after his high school season at Sioux Falls

The Stampede roster is now set at 23 players and includes forward T.J. Oshie of Warroad, MN. Oshie is expected to join the Stampede for Saturdays home opener versus Waterloo. Oshie, is a 510" forward who has already committed to the University of North Dakota. He is scheduled to return to Warroad High School once the high school season begins and return to the Stampede after his high school season has ended.
Sioux Falls Stampede Website

An auspicious start to his first game...

The Waterloo Black Hawks ruined the Stampede's home opener on Saturday night, defeating the Stampede 4-2.ï¾  The Herd jumped out to an early lead when T.J. Oshie scored just :40 seconds into the game to give the Stampede a 1-0 lead.ï¾  That score would hold until 15:16 of the first when Thomas Fortney tallied a goal to tie the game at one