SiouxSports.com Forum

Dr. Terry Wanless

Stinger

As you guys know, Wanless is Cal State Sacramento's new athletic director. What can we expect from him? What is his MO? I know he got booted from UND. What did he do to incur the wrath? Was it his problem? How far did he bring the program in the almost ten years he was at UND? Thanks

As you guys know, Wanless is Cal State Sacramento's new athletic director. What can we expect from him? What is his MO? I know he got booted from UND. What did he do to incur the wrath? Was it his problem? How far did he bring the program in the almost ten years he was at UND? Thanks

I wouldn't be too worried -- he actually managed to bring about quite a bit of success at UND. Big increases in athletic budgets and attendance at sports. Unprecedented success of the teams.

His problems at UND came about because UND is a hockey school and he's not a hockey fan. He promoted football a lot, which has turned out to lead UND to unprecedented football success. However, hockey is very influential at UND (a hockey alum recently donated $100m to the school to build a new hockey arena, for example).

To make a long story short, important people didn't like some moves Wanless backed (including pushing out a very popular ex-hockey coach and not supporting the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and logos) which put a lot of pressure on him to leave. It was more of a culture-clash than him being a bad administrator. Just my opinions, of course.

Jim, I will forgive Terry when Blaiser ties the record w/National Titles

in hockey. ;)

I can not tell you how :D I was when Gino was let go. But Deano has eased my pain. :0 (I give Terry a little credit there) ;)

I LOVE the new logo but I do miss the "Blackhawk"(old school) ;)

I think Terry might be able to help NDSU and UND in the future.But that's another thread on this board. ;)

Stinger. Terry learned his lesson as Jim pointed out. Hockey at UND is what football is at Penn State. The ONLY game in town on Fri and Sat during the winter months. ;)