SiouxSports.com Forum

...more on Vanek.....

Fighting Sioux #1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the compliments, boys. I thought my other avatar was good, too, but you can't clearly see the bikini-clad girls from the King of Diamonds in it.

Funny funny story from last night's game...my buddy (in his 1980 white USA jersey) and I (red 1980 CCCP jersey) are sitting three rows up behind the goalie. I'm 34, he's 33...after the first intermission, a half-dozen Russian college girls dressed up with face-paint and bedecked in the Russian flag show up asking to take a picture with us. The whole section was razzing me about supporting the "commies," but their jaws dropped when this flock of hotties came over to us. I have the pic...it's a matter of time before it's posted!

Note to self: Russian Red Army hockey jersey tonite for the Slovakia game.

Back to topic from the Star Tribune:

"Thomas Vanek, the Gophers hockey forward who was drafted No. 1 by the Buffalo Sabres in 2003, is definitely going to sign with the NHL team and not return to school.

Most everything is agreed upon in the contract except for a couple of minor points. Vanek will get a $1 million signing bonus.

The one reason Buffalo will sign Vanek, despite the fact that a lockout to start the 2004-05 season is likely because of labor problems, is that Vanek has the option of signing with a Western Hockey League team. If he does, Buffalo would lose his rights.

At this point, Vanek has indicated to the Gophers hockey coaches that he plans to sign."

Of course it is Sid so you never know, but it seems this will turn out as expected.

My sources are telling me that Vanek, unless Buffalo's offer is substantially improved in the next few days, will be back.  According to North Dakota Hockey the Gophers will now be cellar-dwellers.  It's not a done deal yet, but it's looking more and more like Thomas (or should I say Hobey) will be back.

Cavedurtis . . . .

I grow weary of the Vanek talk. The guy is history with the Gopher program, and the Gopher program is all the better for it. Thank God the Gophers had a great experience with some solid non-Minnesota stock, the North Dakota boy. Potulny. After putting up with TV's antics, The Don might have otherwise looked to return the Program to years of mediocrity by recruiting nothing other than Minnesota boys.

If I were still a betting gal, I'd lay you a wager that TV is gone. Shooter as much said so in the Pioneer Press today.

Can we bury any further talk of Tommy now, at least here? I think that most WCHA fans are tired of hearing about, and speculating over, his so-called future.

Can we bury any further talk of Tommy now, at least here? I think that most WCHA fans are tired of hearing about, and speculating over, his so-called future.

NDH,

I respectfully disagree. Whether TV returns or not seems like an important and relevant topic to WCHA fans. If he returns, I maintain that the Gophers could contend for the league title, without him, they will experience some bumps in the road. Either way, it will likely have an impact on the WCHA and how things will shake out in the standings and possibly with league awards.

Pretty Boy Vanek is gone. Wow, what are we going to talk about next?

I suppose we could talk about who is goalies are better UND or UofM?

I am going out on a limb and saying the October 23rd and 24th Series at the Ralph is going to be exciting.

'Tis the 22nd and 23rd Goon. Would hate to see you miss one of the games, like we will for a lousy distant family wedding on the 22nd. Some folks have no sense of what is important in the fall of the year in the El Grande Forke area.

Sioux are gonna kill the Gophers that weekend, just like they did last year.

This also good since the UND hockey schedule this fall only has one weekend of hockey during prime time Ducktober. Much better than the last couple of seasons where there was hockey every weekend and you had to leave the field early to get back into town to see hockey.