SiouxSports.com Forum

...more on Vanek.....

Fighting Sioux #1

Not to beat a dead horse with the # of NCAA titles issue, but did anyone pay attention that ANOTHER team now has more titles than Minnesota? Yep...that was Denver's SIXTH last season, although the first in a long, long time.

6>5!

I like it.

Actually I like how Gopher fans try to say how great of a goalie Briggs is. Fact being. Briggs will probably be floating in the Mississippi River this season if they Gophers have a rough season.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it.

Actually I like how Gopher fans try to say how great of a goalie Briggs is. Fact being. Briggs will probably be floating in the Mississippi River this season if they Gophers have a rough season.

nah, only UND has enuf goalies to float them down rivers after they have a bad season...

WPoS

Briggs had 10 games in which he allowed 0-1 goals, including four shutouts. UND's rotation had 15 games, including two shutouts.

And as "bad" as Briggs is, his freshman numbers are considerably better than Robb Stauber's freshman year.

OK Troll, lets look at the numbers a little closer, your talking about games where UofM played teams like Princton (not a great team), Michigan State (not very good last year whoopi) MTU (wow), MSU-Mankato (cellar dwellar), BSU (2) (double Wow), and last but not least SCSU... So nice try but oh well not that impressive afterall. Oh yeah UofM beat UND once last seaons and only allowed one goal. Thats after having 5, 7 and 4 hung on your great goaltending.

jloos,

I stand corrected. Goon was referring to TC Transplant, not WPos. Is anyone going to the WCOH game tonite?

I do have a blue USA jersey, but so do 10,000 other fans heading into tonite's game. I'm trying to make a statement. The funny part is, my buddy will be wearing his white 1980 USA jersey. Row 3, right behind the goalie as you look to the left side of your TV screen.

nah, only UND has enuf goalies to float them down rivers after they have a bad season...

WPoS

What are you talking about? Don't you know that we're going have a team comprised of only goalies? We're getting rid of the forwards and d-men ... it's so radical, it's almost Woogesque in genius ... :):p:)

What are you talking about? Don't you know that we're going have a team comprised of only goalies? We're getting rid of the forwards and d-men ... it's so radical, it's almost Woogesque in genius ... :):p:)

Actually, it appears MN may be getting rid of forwards and d-men.

Oh yeah UofM beat UND once last seaons and only allowed one goal.

Of course in that game Briggs gave up one to UND, UND had only around 7 or 8 shots the last two periods and they did score. It just didn't count.

That said, Briggs did have a pretty good stretch of decent play last year. He just didn't really peak at the end of the season in my opinion. He won't be the reason the Gophers fail to win the WCHA this year, and was the reason last year.

Actually, it appears MN may be getting rid of forwards and d-men.

Oh no-no-no dagies.

I'm sure we'll all hear how they chose to leave the program, like Mike Erickson did.

It had nothing to do with ten incoming freshmen squeezing out returners. And surely the words "floating in river" and "cut throat" are in no way involved. :p

How could I forget? I've been corrected on that one enough times.

I have to wonder if Jake Taylor's deal was REALLY that good (to get an offer he couldn't refuse), or if he saw Lucia salivating over his incoming offensive defensemen (including the late gift Hagemo) and could read the writing on the wall.

How could I forget? I've been corrected on that one enough times.

I have to wonder if Jake Taylor's deal was REALLY that good (to get an offer he couldn't refuse), or if he saw Lucia salivating over his incoming offensive defensemen (including the late gift Hagemo) and could read the writing on the wall.

While I tend to believe the Gophers are no different than UND with it's policies reguarding dismissing players, Lucia was a lot better at manipulating perceptions than Blais. After all Blais didn't really seem to give a hoot what others thought.

I don't think the Taylor's signing had anything to do with "writing on the wall." Lucia was publicly lamenting his departure on the radio and I think he would have played every game.

With Taylor, he was a 6th round pick and most 6th round picks are lucky to get a chance to prove themselves to an organization. Let alone get a signing bonus. You can always go to college, taking your chance at the pros is typically a one shot deal. Just look at the BB situation for a comparison with a substantially more proven player.

There are plenty of players who have left the Gophers that are better examples.

Goon...ease up on WPoS...he's actually pretty cool. Hey, WPoS, you goin' to the USA/Russia game tonite at Xcel? I'll be there in my red CCCP jersey.

Alas, no, I am not able to attend the games tonight, so have a brew pregame for me ok?!?! :p

WPoS

My sources are telling me that Vanek, unless Buffalo's offer is substantially improved in the next few days, will be back. According to North Dakota Hockey the Gophers will now be cellar-dwellers. It's not a done deal yet, but it's looking more and more like Thomas (or should I say Hobey) will be back.

My sources are telling me that Vanek, unless Buffalo's offer is substantially improved in the next few days, will be back. According to North Dakota Hockey the Gophers will now be cellar-dwellers. It's not a done deal yet, but it's looking more and more like Thomas (or should I say Hobey) will be back.

Thanks, Sid. :p

From Sid's column in today's Star-Tribune:

Thomas Vanek, the Gophers hockey star who was drafted No. 1 by Buffalo two years ago, expects to hear this week whether the Sabres will pay him the maximum signing bonus to sign a contract. If not, Vanek will probably return to the Gophers for his junior season.

My sources are telling me that Vanek, unless Buffalo's offer is substantially improved in the next few days, will be back. According to North Dakota Hockey the Gophers will now be cellar-dwellers. It's not a done deal yet, but it's looking more and more like Thomas (or should I say Anti-Hobey) will be back.

Fixed your post. :p

I don't think the Gophers will be cellar dwellers unless several things happen:

1. Briggs gets injured in such a manner that he would miss a substantial part of the season. There is no depth in the nets in Gopherville.

2. A good portion of their 'veteran' players do not perform to previous levels of play, or are plagued by injury. I argue that, though it isn't as bad as their goaltender situation, the Gophers have very little in depth at forward and almost no depth at defense.

3. Fate. Every now and then a good team gets faced with bad luck. I'm not much to believe in fate or bad luck, but it's hard to explain how a talented team can lose a game against inferior opponents.

Briggs isn't as bad as everyone claims he is. I will say that again and again. I just think that the pressure will be much greater than what was placed on Siembida when he arrived in Grand Forks. I mean, if you had someone backing you up who performed as "well" as JJ did last season, would you feel stress free if you got injured or tried just that much harder or took a hit? Gophers beware: If Briggs gets hit (intentionally or otherwise), pray he doesn't get injured. Your playoff lives may depend on it.

Goon...ease up on WPoS...he's actually pretty cool. Hey, WPoS, you goin' to the USA/Russia game tonite at Xcel? I'll be there in my red CCCP jersey.

First off Maffia Man nice avitar. Awesome.

Second I think WPOS is a decent poster. Like most UofM poster/fans.

I was just pointing out some facts about UofM goaltending.

Alas, no, I am not able to attend the games tonight, so have a brew pregame for me ok?!?! :p

WPoS

I am jealous of the fans that will be able to see the game tonight. I am just hoping to get home before the game is over. Drink one for me too.