SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU's winning days over?

jimdahl

Needless to say the Herald's editorial opinions haven't changed, but this week they interview and quote NDSU coaches:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforkshe...rts/4126223.htm

Realistically, though, I don't anyone thinks any D-II school can jump up to D-I and be instantly competitive. Football stands the best chance of being competitive more quickly because there's the I-AA subdivision. There's certainly no chance of UND women's b-ball challenging Tennessee anytime soon, or NDSU men's b-ball challenging Duke.

This is just one more area where it would be nice to start a new D-IAA conference with ex-NCC schools. In the short term we'd playing old rivals for the conference championships, and as we became eligible (12 years for Men's BB?) we'd get to start sending that rep to the Big Dance. Of course, by then D-IAA will probably extend to all sports anyway, so we'll just be back in the second division with all the schools we should be playing and D-II will be the new D-III.

I am w/ you Jim the NCC as a whole should move up.(or the six major teams)UND,NDSU,SD,SDSU,UNO and ? Now Duluth is in the NCC? What do you say to Duluth if the NCC does move? Are they going to be refunded the $50,000 they spent to join? Or does the NCC become a new league the NCCA or NAC. I think we should move to the D1 level. I think we should have a blue print of what Maine and NDSU do and learn from their mistakes.

The reason I picked Maine(hockey) and NDSU the (Jone's factor).

IMHO, UND is doing things to prepare.Wellness center the Old Ralph for B-Ball and the push for 14,000 students in the next couple of years.

I think UND is putting all the ducks in a row.

And speaking of Ducks.. Ducks (D1)41- Portland St. (D1aa) 0 Quack!

What do you say to Duluth if the NCC does move? Are they going to be refunded the $50,000 they spent to join?

Regarding Duluth, I believe that their $50,000 check is just being held until the NCC takes a vote (which probably doesn't happen until 2003, after SDSU has announcd its intentions).

Clearly the other schools in the NCC that wouldn't jump (Augustana, Mankato, maybe UNO) would have to figure out a new plan. I have NO idea what sort of rules cover the naming of a new conference, if they could just form a new "NCC" in D-IAA, or if it would need some clever new name.