SiouxSports.com Forum

The Golden Arm Award

JBB

Can we say troll. Maybe you might want to go to another web page. This is a UND web page. Lets see what college do you cheer for?

I am sure your college has a throphy case full of throphies. Besides it is going to be very hard for UND to duplicate the year they had last year with all of the good players that they have lost...

Simplest question I could ask:

Who would you want running your team: Klosterman or Gorder?

I know one of them CAN pass (when given time by his line) and can run, and has a conference and a national title.

JBB: I hope you liked your trip to Davis. You'll be getting that treatment in IAA for at least six to seven seasons. (Anyone moving up would.)

Davis will be at the Fabulous Fargo Dome next year. It will take 5 years to get the roster complete for football. The first years D1AA recruits will probably be redshirted and by the end of the 5th season Seniors through Redshirts will all be D1AA recruits. By the 6th or 7th year, as you say, NDSU should be back on its game. Portland State had a similar time line and were among the top in the BSC within the 5 year period. The most important thing is getting the clock ticking.

With UNO and your team struggling the conference title is still in our sights. Our home schedule looks good. Your in a bit of a hole with some big games on the road and a defense that really hasnt been able to adjust to the new style of passing attacks that seem to be emerging.

Augi is in the Prestigious Fargo Dome next week. They are a team that has been very effective in upsetting stronger NCC teams. The last game at Memorial Stadium always comes to mind. I dont think anyone in Fargo is going to be taking them lightly.

With the loss of Degraff Augi is struggling a bit. The offense has not caught fire with the Freshman QB. They showed defensive strength in the 7-0 win against Mankato. Their defense is stout and will be a test for Gorder and the BISON. Augi did a good job shutting out the Mavericks keeping that freshman running back under wraps and stopping what is by all accounts a dangerous passing attack.

The Golden Arm may not be of so much interest if Ed Schultz hadnt been so relentless on the air running down the BISON and NDSU and hounding Gorder about his Golden Arm. Now that Klosterman is showing that last season might be turning out to be an exception to his great leadership, rather than the rule, I dont hear much on his radio shows about this.

Klosterman has had 1 good day against an inferior opponent and a good 10 minutes against another vastly inferior team. In his two tests against competitive opponents its pretty clear that he has been unable to answer any questions for your team.

Since your team is idle there will be no Golden Arm awarded next week.

But JBB, wasn't NDSU, with its great returning talent, supposed to win it all last season? Which QB got the job done and which one didn't?

I don't pay much attention to the Bison, so I don't know what Gorder's problem is. However, I know that Klosterman, doesn't have the offensive line, the receivers or the running game he had supporting him last season. It's no wonder that he and the Sioux are struggling.

What's Gorder's excuse this year?

JBB:

You make seven years of thrashing sound like something to look forward to. Imagine your life feeling the way you did about 9:30 CDT Saturday night, or like when UCD hit the flanker-reverse pass, for the next seven years.

The lead dog in the NCC right now by far is Northern Colorado. I'm not sure about their schedule but I'm not sure who'll touch them either. NDSU's pass defense weakness was displayed by UCD. UNC will study those tapes just like they did for UND.

We will wait until the sue soxers come into the Fabulous Fargo Dome. Your speculation speaks of idiocy. A couple of weeks makes a lot of difference. As far as hlastrom goes, he should be a little more worried about the Harlon Hill favorite Kelby Klosterman, not the 2 time Golden Arm Winner Craig Gorder. Kolsterman has been terrible against quality opponents this year. I guess he did ok against the tomato cans though. I wouldnt be feeling too confident if I were you.

As far as hlastrom goes, he should be a little more worried about the Harlon Hill favorite Kelby Klosterman, not the 2 time Golden Arm Winner Craig Gorder.

Why would Hallstrom (how hard is that to spell) worry about Klosterman? He's part of the lovefest at Forum Communications that is nothing less than an NDSU fluffer, isn't he?

Don't you have some other board to troll on?

I too am very anxious to hear jbb's (remember, capitalization is a sign of respect :D ) take on how the Bison have gone into such a free fall the past few years. I'm sure we'll get some sort of "yeah, but you guys are only 2-2" response, but the difference is that no Sioux fans to my knowledge question that Dale Lennon is a good coach and has more than proven himself at UND, while it seems 90% of the Bison faithful want Bob "we were thoroughly outcoached" Babich's head on a platter. The other scary proposition for the Bison is that there hasn't been anyone good enough on the NDSU roster to beat out Graig Gorder for the starting qb position the past two years. For a guy who was supposed to be such a great recruiter, Bob hasn't exactly been recruiting many offensive impact players since he recruited Lamar Gordon in 1998.

I'm sure this was written by that anti-NDSU Grand Forks Herald.

Uh, nope. Oops. :D

From The Sunday Forum: http://new.in-forum.com/columnists/article...ist=mikemcfeely

Mike McFeely column:

The Bison are one bad football team

The Forum - 09/29/2002

The best way we can put North Dakota State

Silent because Im preoccupied with BISON football problems. but this is the Golden Arm thread and Gorder is now a "3-pete" champion. Kolsterman must be the biggest disappointment in UND history. he hasn't had a good day since Mesa State. His game against SDSU was average at best, but you won. that's good for you, but the Harlon Hill Buzz swirling around Klosterman is now silent. The injury will certainly put it to rest, if it hadnt been dead since the Great Dale Lennon benched him against the Mighty Eagles of Crookston State. In defiance of all the sue sox smugness of conceit, Gorder has stepped up as the best QB this year, at least so far, and the sue sox and BISON have slipped to mediocrity.

Next weekend in the Fabulious Fargo Dome you'll come onto the field. I have every confidence that the BISON will win. I have learned, directly from the offices of the Golden Arm, that your substitute QB will be allowed to compete. Is a

As long as Gorder continues to out perform Klosterman he will win. This award is based on individual performance and is only awarded during the weeks both QBs play. You may be unhappy with the outcome of the award, but Klostermans performance has not earned him the distinction of a Golden Arm in the 2002 season. you are welcome to review and comment on the record. Officals at the Golden Arm have no comment as to the affect this award will have on either QBs Harlon Hill opportunities.

Right now, there is a controversy surrounding the decision by the Golden Arm to allow the UND substitute to compete. So many fans were looking forward to the individual competition that it seems unfair to deny them. The Golden Arm is going to allow your substitute fellow to compete this week only. He will be referred to as the 'Klosterman Proxy". It is the ruling of the Golden Arm that in subsequent weeks no award will be forthcoming unless the Perennial Harlon Hill Candidate, Kelby Klosterman, is in the game. The intent of the award was to pit Gorder against Klosterman. Let the best man continue to win.

Oh woe, oh woe, Kelby didn't win the "Golden Arm" again. (roll eyes here)

He'll have to take solice in being the NCC (Co-) Offensive Player of the Week: 100+ passing, 100+ rushing, 100+ handing to Mahmoud, and a win in the State of SD.

I guess not every QB had that nice of a trip to SD last weekend.

that's good for you, but the Harlon Hill Buzz swirling around Klosterman is now silent.

I suspect the "Harlon Hill Buzz" about Klosterman was inside your head only and was probably just a fly stuck in there. Maybe all the "buzz" was in Fargo, not Grand Forks.

Ah yes, stats as reported in post-game on television:

Gorder (NDSU) 19 completions, 30 attempts, 63%, 132 yards, 0 TD, 0 Int. (NCAA QB Rating: 109.293)

Bowenkamp (UND) 18 completions, 26 attempts, 69%, 164 yards, 0 TD, 0 Int. (NCAA QB Rating: 122.216)

The "three-streak" for Gorder is over.

With higher yardage, completion percentage, and ratings totals, starting his first ever game, and in the Preposterous FargoDome no less, sophomore John Bowenkamp of The University of North Dakota wins this week's "Golden Arm" award.

That really means something only in the mind of one person. (This reporter provided the information to allow the voices to continue to haunt him.)

On the positive side, NDSU was able to stretch one three-streak to a four-streak:

California-Davis, Augustana, South Dakota, North Dakota, that's four in a row.