SiouxSports.com Forum

The BETTY - less than 6 weeks away!

SiouxMeNow

Into the Betty today...it's looking great!! The permanent wood floor is in....250' x 100' (room for 4 full size BB courts) and it's top notch!!! rubber cushioned underlayment with a hard maple top...still some finishing to be done but it's VERY NICE!!! PLUS - an anon alum ponied up some $$$ to have the same leather seats in the Ralph put into the fixed seating areas of the Betty!!! WHOO HOO I bumped into Mike Kuntz doing a tour with a guy from KVLY and it's supposed to be on their friday newcasts sometime...opening day is Aug. 24th but the VB team will be practicing in there (hopefully) by mid-august...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was forced (by the point of a gun..or purse...I can't remember) to attend the Fargo Street Fair today....anyone catch the story on TV?

ps - I bought some AWESOME LAWN ORNAMENTS THOUGH!!!! but I have to say the FSF is getting ridiculous in size....felt like I walked to Dilworth before I got to the end of it....they had good foot-long corndogs though....mmmmm....foot long corndogs.....

I can personnally attest from having been it there...it is awesome!! HUGE permanent wood floor that will really give us a flooring option we don't currently have in GF....the rich keep getting RICHER....while the Bison keep pretending they're better...

So there is a permanent floor for the 4 bball courts, but what will they do for the main bball court? Will something go on top of the big floor, or what?

On a different note, sounds exciting. I can't wait to see the inside. What event is on Aug 24th for the opening?

So it really sounds like the Betty is beautiful. I just wish they had built it a little bit bigger. 3,000 seems extremely small. Especially considering the fact that it is smaller than the Hyslop. Even though it sounds like it is going to be a lot nicer LOOKING, it is almost as though we are taking a step back.

The feature on KVLY talked about the floor, the BB hoops are all retractable, and apparently can be moved up to the ceiling within minutes by a flip of the switch. They talked about a VIP suite area that looks over the court and has a marble bar and balcony that overlooks the entryway.

They said on the show that with the retractable seats it holds 4,000.

it is small by seating standards but remember - it was designed as a practice facility first a playing venue second...they'll play the "high attendance" games in the Ralph. The main architect told me (personally) they will be be playing most of their games in the Betty because, frankly, how many BB games draw over 4000 and they'd prefer the cozier atmosphere of the Betty over the vacous atmosphere (3500 people in an 11,000 seat arena!!) in the Ralph....

ps - do I get bonus points for using a big word like "vacous??"

So there is a permanent floor for the 4 bball courts, but what will they do for the main bball court? Will something go on top of the big floor, or what?

On a different note, sounds exciting. I can't wait to see the inside. What event is on Aug 24th for the opening?

The main floor is painted on (ALMOST) at center court --- they'll tape on temporary lines if th the other two temporary courts are needed....they're working on a new BESC logo to go on the center court...but it will be nice. The floor is a "top of the line" cushioned underlayment-maple top floor...it has some give and will provide a nice feel for the players....they'll WANT to play here instead of the main arena...having seen it firsthand - I'M KEYED!!

You only get extra credit for words actually found in the dictionary. :0:lol:

I would SO kick your ass if I ever bumped into you at the bar but I know the only bar you've ever been to is a "MILK BAR" (and probably back in elementary school circa 1960's!)....SORRY....That's "VACUOUS"! WAIT!!!!...the definition of "Vacuous" ALSO defines PCM....

From the OXFORD DICTIONARY:

VACUOUS: Devoid of matter; empty. (NOTE: they obviously haven't meet you...you are NOT devoid of MATTER!)

Lacking intelligence; stupid.

Devoid of substance or meaning; inane: a vacuous comment.

Devoid of expression; vacant:

They said on the show that with the retractable seats it holds 4,000.

Spokane, WA, based Gonzaga University, yeah, that Gonzaga, plays in a 4000 seat arena.

They'll be moving into a much larger arena very soon: 6000 seats. 6000 seats is "below the ring" in REA. :0

Take a look back into Sioux Basketball history: For how many games per year would 4000 seats not be enough? Let's worry about consistently selling out The Betty before condemning it's size.

Take a look back into Sioux Basketball history: For how many games per year would 4000 seats not be enough? Let's worry about consistently selling out The Betty before condemning it's size.

I agree that even if 4000 turns out to be too small, it would be a good "problem" to have. According to the basketball media guide, the highest average attendance of 4432 occurred in the 1990-91 season. Probably not coincidentally, that was the second of two consecutive Elite 8 seasons, so fan interest was probably at an all-time high. Even if we could get back to having teams and crowds comparable to those from 89 to about 93, having demand exceed supply by a few hundred would be pretty cool.

In terms of having a homecourt advantage, of course having a sold-out 4000 seat arena would provide an infinitely better atmosphere than having 4500 to 5000 in an 11,000-plus arena. However, whether the administration and/or REA would voluntarily give up the revenue of a few hundred tickets in exchange for maximizing atmosphere and home court advantage by keeping games in the Betty is another question. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Initially the plan was for conference BB in The Ralph. There seem to be games beyond that. Date conflicts for volleyball maybe? Are they trying to "dial in" what they'll average at each venue?

How do the volleyball and hockey schedules cross-reference to that?

Initially the plan was for conference BB in The Ralph. There seem to be games beyond that. Date conflicts for volleyball maybe? Are they trying to "dial in" what they'll average at each venue?

How do the volleyball and hockey schedules cross-reference to that?

I checked your guys' volleyball schedule and basically the regular season is over on November 13th. I would speculate they want to play every game possible in the Ralph, thinking the arena itself would draw more fans. Didn't UND draw something like 7000 for a Minot State game in the Ralph a few years ago?

NDSU grad may be onto something here: If you want to see REA, the $104 MM, granite floor, cherry trimmed marvel, and a UND game, coming up with hockey tickets is tough. Basketball tickets would be much easier to get.

At least in the short-term, I'm sure there's something to that. For example, last year there were four regular season men's games played at REA, with an average attendance of 4554. That's compared to the average overall of 2585. Of course, there are other variables there, including the fact that the counting at Hyslop tended to be extremely unreliable and the fact that apparently, Hyslop didn't count students as part of the overall attendance.

In any event, at some point it must be decided whether it's more important to create a "true" homecourt by playing all or nearly all games at the Betty, or whether making a bit more $$$ is worth the adverse effect on the atmosphere of the game, see the NDSU game last year at the Ralph as Exhibit A of a terrible atmosphere despite the biggest announced crowd of the year.

OK, I have to admit the love coming my way from you guys is more than a little freaky. I found the link to the MSU game at the REA from 2002. Beavers draw 7542

I don't know how I remembered that (actually I do, I think it was disbelief that you guys drew 7000 for the Beavers). I doubt that kind of attendance would be the norm for ooc games, but I say if the building's available play in it.