SiouxSports.com Forum

Vegas odds...

Goon

I got these from the Hockey_L interesting. I think SCSU is a little high they didn't figure in the Dahl Factor...I got to Think MSU is the favorite this season what does everyone else think, I know the Gophers are good but I can't see them winning it all with Hauser not with his five hole problem...

Odds to Win 02 College Hockey Tournament at Bally's. The current odds, as of 1/17/02 are:

Minnesota - 5/2

St. Cloud State - 7/2

Denver - 5/1

Boston U - 5/1

Michigan State - 6/1

Boston College - 7/1

New Hampshire - 8/1

Michigan - 8/1

North Dakota - 10/1

Colorado College - 12/1

U Mass-Lowell - 12/1

Northern Michigan - 12/1

Field (All Others) - 18/1

Maine - 20/1

Harvard - 20/1

Nebraska-Omaha - 22/1

Wisconsin - 25/1

Dartmouth - 30/1

Ohio State - 30/1

Clarkson - 40/1

Providence - 50/1

Rensselear 60/1

UM-Duluth - 60/1

Alaska-Fairbanks - 75/1

St. Lawrence - 100/1

• 2 weeks later...

My favorites right now are CC and Denver from the WCHA; UNH and Maine from the HE. 20/1 on Maine are nice odds.

Minnie doesn't play well enough in their own end to be rated that high. Not likely that they'll get every game with lots of PP's, which makes them a long shot at best.

Sprig I am going to go out on a limb and pick BU and MSU as my teams for the NCAA title. For some reason I don't like any of the WCHA teams this season.

Denver is falling like a rock (so we might be playing them at the right time), UofM has peaked and can't get two consistent game back to back. I think UND will get a lot of these teams at the right time., C.C. is good but I think if UND played them in the WCHA tourney I think we would beat them this time. SCSU they are really falling too. I think some of these team peaked to fast.

I just hope UND can get to the WCHA finals...

Remember, the line in Vegas is set not by what the odds-makers think reality is, but by what the odds have to be to cause the books to be 'balanced' no matter who wins.

To understand better, look at Nebraska football. Everybody in that state (and the nation) likes to put money on Big Red. What Vegas does is offer points so people take the other side so that no matter who wins the game the Vegas payout is equal and they don't have to cover payouts with house money.

Same thing in hockey. Offering weak odds for Minnesota will cause some fans to shy away from placing a bet because it won't be worth it. Also those shy odds are based on the number of people looking to put money on UMn versus anyone/everyone else.

Looking at the numbers: UA-Fairbanks and UND should both be "Field".

Minnesota, SCSU, and DU appear to have either hit a swoon or peaked early. I wouldn't be surprised if only one WCHA team makes it to St. Paul. If CC maintains its pace it could easily be them.

Don't forget that Ron Mason is retiring from MSU and they play on a lot of 200x85 ice (like the XCel) in the CCHA.

But my gut says one of the eastern teams that's been consistent all year (UNH or BU) might be the one to pick.