SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 QB Battle

bincitysioux

7 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Just watched, WDAZ's coverage of media day.  

They touched on the QB competition.  Did I hear him say that Zimmerman is a Captain?

If so, that may say a lot...................

WDAZ

Boltman really gets the ball out of his hand quick. Love it. A quick release is often overlooked as a reason for a qbs success but it is crucial.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Just watched, WDAZ's coverage of media day.  

They touched on the QB competition.  Did I hear him say that Zimmerman is a Captain?

If so, that may say a lot...................

WDAZ

I mentioned elsewhere that he is the guy who put in the work this summer with the team. He has a special level of support from his teammates.

Still doesn’t mean he will win the competition from fall camp and the coaches standpoint, which ultimately decides the starter.  

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Boltman really gets the ball out of his hand quick. Love it. A quick release is often overlooked as a reason for a qbs success but it is crucial.

A lot of camp left, but I sure hope we can see a quarterback who can throw the deep ball. Studsrud was just plain bad at it. I fear Boltman is similar in that sense. UND offense needs that capability (deep passing game) in their offense after having it completely absent the past few season. 

We all know Zimmerman can throw a nice deep ball; watch his performance versus Sacramento State in 2017. Ketteringham also has the build and length to sling it.

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

I mentioned elsewhere that he is the guy who put in the work this summer with the team. He has a special level of support from his teammates.

Still doesn’t mean he will win the competition from fall camp and the coaches standpoint, which ultimately decides the starter.  

Great to hear that a guy has put in that type of work and built that type of rapport with his teammates. As long as whomever is playing the best, and shows the most potential is starting, I don't care. I tend to lean Ketteringham, but that isn't based on much except for what I have read.

I will say this, if it is Ketteringham, I think Zimmerman will show how a true captain should be. Even if he isn't starting, he can be a huge voice and leadership for the team. I've seen that before; Captain doesn't mean you are the best player, but that you can demonstrate some of the best leadership.

Getting pretty pumped to see how this all plays out. 8/30 can't come soon enough!

28 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Ketteringham will/should be the starter in my opinion.

Boltmann should be #2 for a variety of different reasons.

If they can hold on to Cedric Case until the December signing date, it is actually scary to think about the depth chart at QB for 2019.

This absolutely NEEDED to happen.

Now....go get some more hoggies....

I don't know how the final depth chart will pan out for this season, although think it will go #1 Ketteringham #2 Zimmerman #3 Boltman. 

You're right, Cedric Case is the real deal. Man I hope UND actually signs him; for the first time under Bubba, UND would have a competent quarterback group. Jury is still out on the QB coaching, though, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

If they can hold on to Cedric Case until the December signing date, it is actually scary to think about the depth chart at QB for 2019.

Hope Case wants to be a pilot or air traffic controller 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Based off of what little we saw of Zimmerman last year I think he did a solid job when he came in and that's why I would put him at least the #2 spot. Some experience plus he has some college game experience in junior college while Boltman has none. If Boltmans type of play is like Studruds (think some on here have maybe said that) that's not what we want in a QB. That said I don't trust our QB coach to make the right decision anyway so it probably doesn't matter.....

Battle between Zimmerman and Ketteringham for #1 spot 

Boltman at #3

• Like 1

I was thinking people felt Boltmann was like Studs 2.0.....meaning similar but with a better arm and better deep ball thrower.  Seems like he threw the ball well when I glanced at his tape but it's been a while.  We will see though, we do need a true deep ball threat to open things up.