SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics, Hornbacher's introduce new relationship

nodak651

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

be glad you have the competition you do in GF.

That competition in Grand Forks matches what you described for Bismarck.

In Grand Forks every grocery store (besides Walmart and Target of course) is a Hugos besides one (Formerly SuperOne. Now Hornbachers.)

The last new grocery store in the Grand Forks area was a Hugos and the newest grocery store to open in the Grand Forks area will also be a Hugos.

My neighborhood Hugos store in Grand Forks looks nothing like it use to when I was a kid. They have remodeled it many times through the years.

I wish there was more competition, but that's not Hugos fault. (Same could be said for Valley Dairy Convenience Stores)

11 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Imagine yourself in Bismarck with just Dans ( now Family Fare owned) pricing has skyrocketed and quality plummeted. They own almost everything except Walmart and Target and I wouldn't buy food there if it was free.

There is a Cashwise on the south side but its a good chance of getting gang shived in that ghetto.

They announced a new north end location for Cashwise, hopefully happens and planned for a MUCH better neighborhood.

be glad you have the competition you do in GF.

Dan's is awful. I'd take hugo's anyday over that garbage. Be grateful for super target in gf.

• 4 weeks later...

United Natural Foods (UNFI) took over SuperValu for $2.9 billion.  UNFI will sell off all SuperValu’s retail markets, as it wants SuperValu’s distribution capability.  Someone else will be buying Hornbachers and Cub Foods in the Twin Cities.  They might not even change names.

• 1 month later...

It's certainly a unique situation here in GF.  I have a colleague who owns a similar type of business in another city in the U.S, and their University is also a Learfield School.  The difference that I can decipher with my conversations with him is that this school he partners with for some things owns all of its own facilities, so being a Learfield which represents the school, it (Learfield) sells everything.  Every sign/scoreboard/ad in every building.  Makes it a one stop shop for him.  Here in GF, I tell him it's a little different where we have to deal with multiple entities for our business.

On 7/3/2018 at 9:10 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Supervalu probably wants to build a second Hornbachers store in GF.  A Ray Richard’s location would be an ideal spot.

The Hugo’s locations seem to vary so much.  The 32nd St store is much higher end.  The North End one is bad.  Hugo’s has stores in Crookston, Grafton, Thief River, Jamestown, and Park Rapids and they don’t have nearly as much competition so they don’t spend money upgrading them.

They just finished the crookston update. Put in a caribou coffee and put back the windows they covered over about 10 years ago.