Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SWSiouxMN

2018 World Cup

Recommended Posts

Just because the US isn't in this time doesn't make it any less exciting right? (okay, I'm lying... couldn't get a damn point against T & T????)

Russia didn't need to bribe the refs in the opener as they pummeled the Saudis.

The Battle of the Iberian Peninsula should be a good one tomorrow: Spain is one of the favorites, but there is drama with their manager being fired just before the cup began, and of course Portugal has Ronaldo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morocco continues to have an awful week:  Not only did they lose the bid to host the 2026 World Cup to the USA/Mexico/Canada joint bid, but an own goal in the final minutes costs them the game against an Iran squad who only won their 2nd World Cup game ever.

Spain/Portugal lived up to the hype and then some.  La Furia Roja is going to regret not closing that out for 3 points.  Ronaldo looks like a man on a mission. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Iceland draws against Argentina.

 

I’ve not heard that before - is “draw” a verb in that context, or should it be “plays to a draw”?  Not trying to go all MafiaMan on you, just curious if it is common usage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DamStrait said:

I’ve not heard that before - is “draw” a verb in that context, or should it be “plays to a draw”?  Not trying to go all MafiaMan on you, just curious if it is common usage.

it probably is "plays to a draw"  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen three of the pre-tournament favorites play (France, Spain, and Germany) and outside of a few flashes from Spain, have not been impressed by any of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Morocco continues to have an awful week:  Not only did they lose the bid to host the 2026 World Cup to the USA/Mexico/Canada joint bid, but an own goal in the final minutes costs them the game against an Iran squad who only won their 2nd World Cup game ever.

Spain/Portugal lived up to the hype and then some.  La Furia Roja is going to regret not closing that out for 3 points.  Ronaldo looks like a man on a mission. 

My Moroccan friend is just devastated. He felt they had a legit shot at making it out of the group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I've seen three of the pre-tournament favorites play (France, Spain, and Germany) and outside of a few flashes from Spain, have not been impressed by any of them. 

I’ve heard draws by commentators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mexico gets the victory over Germany.  If they can take care of business in the next two, they might be able to avoid Brazil in the round of 16. 

Germany on the other hand....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Mexico gets the victory over Germany.  If they can take care of business in the next two, they might be able to avoid Brazil in the round of 16. 

Germany on the other hand....

espn-scroll-graphic-for-germany-goals-ag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

My Moroccan friend is just devastated. He felt they had a legit shot at making it out of the group.

Morocco totally blew their game against Iran with an own goal header.  And Iran leads their group now over Spain and Portugal, which has to be even more shocking than Germany losing and Argentina and Brazil tieing their matches.  Iran is rated the lowest team except Russia, who gets home advantage and hasn’t play in qualifying because they got a get in free card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Morocco totally blew their game against Iran with an own goal header.  And Iran leads their group now over Spain and Portugal, which has to be even more shocking than Germany losing and Argentina and Brazil tieing their matches.  Iran is rated the lowest team except Russia, who gets home advantage and hasn’t play in qualifying because they got a get in free card.

Iran will be playing with house money for the rest of the group, even so much as a draw against either Spain or Portugal could get them through to the knockout stages. 

Boy wouldn't that be the perfect opponent for Russia.... :glare:

England plays tomorrow: Lets see how they do this time around, last time they were in a major tournament Iceland helped England leave Europe for the 2nd time. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Iran will be playing with house money for the rest of the group, even so much as a draw against either Spain or Portugal could get them through to the knockout stages. 

Boy wouldn't that be the perfect opponent for Russia.... :glare:

England plays tomorrow: Lets see how they do this time around, last time they were in a major tournament Iceland helped England leave Europe for the 2nd time. 

I absolutely love watching England implode at major tournaments. You can see it in their eyes, they know it’s inevitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

England plays tomorrow: Lets see how they do this time around, last time they were in a major tournament Iceland helped England leave Europe for the 2nd time. 

Suspect England will do better this year as no one, including the British press, expects them to do anything.  They can’t seem to handle press pressure of expectations.  European World Cups have been a graveyard for South American nations, and Italy, Germany, Portugal and Spain are not playing at home.  Italy got knocked out in the Euro knockout qualification round be Sweden, so the Swedes might be another surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Well after how Brazil looked against the Swiss I am beginning to wonder.

Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Serbia, and Croatia could be candidates to make great runs.  A small Euro nation always seems to do that.  Iceland has great organizational midfield and defense to do that, but their strikers are lacking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Serbia, and Croatia could be candidates to make great runs.  A small Euro nation always seems to do that.  Iceland has great organizational midfield and defense to do that, but their strikers are lacking.

It's soccer...all you have to do is score an early goal and hang on. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

It's soccer...all you have to do is score an early goal and hang on. :)

"Mexico hold an insurmountable 1-0 lead with only 55 minutes left to play."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

It's soccer...all you have to do is score an early goal and hang on. :)

That’s what bi-zon fans say about hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d say Belgium have the skill to make it very far. I question their mentality though. They could have scored 8 today if they went for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×