Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the green team

US Supreme Court lets states legalize sports betting

Recommended Posts

What will this look like in North Dakota? 

What will the outlook be? Will this be like when I went to the UK, and could walk into any number of sports betting joints and place a wager on the entire spectrum of sports? 

This will be fascinating.   

This will frustrated the heck out of the NCAA no doubt.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that the Supreme Court just shifted the burden to the state's, so any state that wants to have betting needs to set up their own regulations. Some have already made some steps and New Jersey is at the point where they could be up and running in a few weeks.

So basically up to the ND legislature to make laws regarding it next time they meet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I read some of the articles correctly, North Dakota was one of some 17 states that has already begun paving the route to legalized sports betting if NJ won at the USSC, which they have.   What that paving is...I'm not really sure.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Does this mean DraftKings can do college basketball/football contests and not just pros? 

I believe that will be up to the states to decide.  DraftKings will be able to offer DFS on collegiate athletics in those states that allow it.  They've always been able to, the pulling of college betting was voluntary on both DraftKings and FanDuel's part.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

I believe that will be up to the states to decide.  DraftKings will be able to offer DFS on collegiate athletics in those states that allow it.  They've always been able to, the pulling of college betting was voluntary on both DraftKings and FanDuel's part.  

I liked picking different college players on DK, then it vanished. At least we weren't a state where DK was banned, I think NY and or NJ was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a case where many states will roll with NJ and open it up. ND is going to have to choose to either Take a moral stand against gambling ( a shakey at best and hypocritical stand) or try and monitize it the best they can, as quick as they can.

I would bet the tribes are going to capitalize quickly in the casinos.. although mayne they already so, I dont know its been ages since I was in one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This is a case where many states will roll with NJ and open it up. ND is going to have to choose to either Take a moral stand against gambling ( a shakey at best and hypocritical stand) or try and monitize it the best they can, as quick as they can.

I would bet the tribes are going to capitalize quickly in the casinos.. although mayne they already so, I dont know its been ages since I was in one.

 

 

Never seen a sports book in a reservation casino. But you’re right, I bet this gives them an in into establishing them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will very quickly I would think and then lobby quite heavily as they have in the past for "morality" bills limiting statewide gaming and thwn claim the sportsbetting as a cultural exclusive

I'm willing to bet (pun intended) they attempt to have it protected for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

They will very quickly I would think and then lobby quite heavily as they have in the past for "morality" bills limiting statewide gaming and thwn claim the sportsbetting as a cultural exclusive

I'm willing to bet (pun intended) they attempt to have it protected for them.

“Our people have been betting on Rez ball for generations.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't go buy grass seed at Walmart at 10 am Sunday because of Church, but North Dakota is gonna let me smoke weed and gamble?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I can't go buy grass seed at Walmart at 10 am Sunday because of Church, but North Dakota is gonna let me smoke weed and gamble?

Yes. 

You smoking a J, as the kids say, and hoping for Tarkington to pass for 3 TDS in the third Period doesn't make someone go into work and miss their family time. So this passes the ND smell test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Yes. 

You smoking a J, as the kids say, and hoping for Tarkington to pass for 3 TDS in the third Period doesn't make someone go into work and miss their family time. So this passes the ND smell test.

We're assuming those workers and shoppers want to have family time. Or even have family in the area.

I like the Idea of people choosing themselves if they want family time.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

We're assuming those workers and shoppers want to have family time. Or even have family in the area.

I like the Idea of people choosing themselves if they want family time.

I wouldn't have minded having the opportunity to earn more money on the weekends while I was in college....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I wouldn't have minded having the opportunity to earn more money on the weekends while I was in college....

Fred Garvin agency was always hiring and always open for business.

#Youhadyourchance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×