SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Anyone with a connection to MK want to ask him how he personally thought the latter half of the Vegas meeting/negotiations with McGarry went.

That's what I'm hearing...he did the introductions and left until the meeting was over...actually a good approach considering how hostile it got with him as the lead negotiator...

Now I am just as much a UND FB fan as hockey fan and MBB & WBB are just a little behind. 

MH - If we are to keep up with the  Hatfields, McCoys, MN's, Wisco's, Bostons'; the state legislature inadvertantly gave us the tools to do it. The Ralph could of been owned by the U with a receptive legislature, instead of the lease we are in, but then would President Kennedy be raping The Ralph $. Good ?

FB - If we are to keep up to the 2 XDSU's, USD, NI, Montana's; we need a large donor, group of donars, winning seasons, more seating capacity, higher salaries, etc. We can't expect hockey to get us there.

BB - That's a tough one, with the 3,000 seat realatively new Betty? Sure we can play some big games on the ice. Need more $, then again BB needs to make more $.

HPC phase II needs to get done very soon. The Betty be paid for in 2020.

5 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

That's what I'm hearing...he did the introductions and left until the meeting was over...actually a good approach considering how hostile it got with him as the lead negotiator...

He voluntarily left the meeting?

Just asking for a friend.

36 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

He voluntarily left the meeting?

Just asking for a friend.

That was my understanding...he was there for the first few minutes to introduce himself and the 'UND negotiating team' and then dismissed himself...Honestly, I think it was a stroke of genius on his part or actually listening to someone who is a negotiating expert.  The whole friction point for KEM was the President and instead of what's best for UND everyone was focusing on him.  Apparently, the move was successful in keeping the relationship in tact and at this point that's a big win for UND!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

That was my understanding...he was there for the first few minutes to introduce himself and the 'UND negotiating team' and then dismissed himself...Honestly, I think it was a stroke of genius on his part or actually listening to someone who is a negotiating expert.  The whole friction point for KEM was the President and instead of what's best for UND everyone was focusing on him.  Apparently, the move was successful in keeping the relationship in tact and at this point that's a big win for UND!

He was booted, was not self dismissal

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Do you have a source for that? The news report of it directly contradicts that, including a comment from KEM.

We'll  go with the news report,  since I won't name names

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Kennedy wishes he was smart enough to excuse himself.

Haven't you heard?

He's so smart, he pissed off a person whose job is to give away millions, then got zero of his demands met...

Just to get the info out in the public sphere which reinforced the current agreement more!

23 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

You do realize there are expenses relating the ticketing/accounting... that entail the 52/48 breakdown?   You do realize that if the REA wasn't handling the duties that there would be expenses to hire all the staff and other related expenses to get this done?  There is a difference between gross income and net income.  

To think the hockey program is the beneficiary of this "issue" is laughable.  To think the football program is harmed by this issue is laughable.  

The football team needs to get better.  Getting better has zero to do with the this ticketing issue and the hockey team/REA.

I do realize that there are expenses to selling tickets. But if those expenses are costing you 52% of the ticket revenue, you are doing it wrong. The staff at the REA selling FB tickets will be there anyway selling for other events. If it would take say 5 to 10% that would be reasonable for FB tickets. If UND hired one or two people to sell FB tickets on their own, maybe it would cost them 15 to 20%, not anywhere close to 52%. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I do realize that there are expenses to selling tickets. But if those expenses are costing you 52% of the ticket revenue, you are doing it wrong. The staff at the REA selling FB tickets will be there anyway selling for other events. If it would take say 5 to 10% that would be reasonable for FB tickets. If UND hired one or two people to sell FB tickets on their own, maybe it would cost them 15 to 20%, not anywhere close to 52%. 

Correct. Nobody has been able to explain why the percentage taken by the REA is so large. Considering they already have the mechanisms in place to sell and distribute tickets, and football does not use any REA facilities. 10% seems like a reasonable fee for a non-profit to manage the ticket sales process. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

You're the expert, I don't know that anyone even taught of that scenario? Thx, for telling us we are doing it wrong and coming all the way over here and giving us a few pointers.

You have no clue and are so dangerously lost that you should keep a map in your back pocket at all times.

15 hours ago, gfhockey said:

He got a “phone call” and excused him self coming from one of the lead negotiaters

I heard it was Daryll who called him to just confirm that everyone wants the F'Hawk logo at center court and not to back down to those FSF people!  By the time he got back to the negotiating table they had already closed the deal with the same terms as before...oh the humanity!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

At face value 52% seems like too much, but there is no one here that can explain why UND agreed with it. Certainly you are clueless.

Until someone involved in negotiations explains it,  well just continue to run around in circles here. It's become a waste of time. 

• Upvote 2

The 52% was implemented with the construction of the Betty.  I'd assume at the time, they looked at the costs and said they would need "X" revenue to cover the cost of the bond.  52% was what was needed to generate that revenue.  Whether that's still the case with the increase in ticket revenue is up for debate.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, sprig said:

At face value 52% seems like too much, but there is no one here that can explain why UND agreed with it. Certainly you are clueless.

Until someone involved in negotiations explains it,  well just continue to run around in circles here. It's become a waste of time. 

Anyone know when our AD is going to begin his podcast?  He said he want's to do a monthly podcast to clear things like this up.  Believe he did this at EWU, as well.