SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

16 hours ago, petey23 said:

Wow! I guess it is true what they say. Figures Lie and Liars figure. That is some pretty fuzzy math on display. And by the way, I attend about the same percentage of football games as I do hockey.

Image result for fuzzy math meme

A total of 291,692 fans attended Hockey and Football games last year when you combine the attendance.  239,692(82%) of those fans were in the seats at The Ralph and 52,129(18%) of those fans were in the seats of The Alerus.

So using basic math, the 52,129 paying fans of Football at the Alerus paid ~$20 each (5 game season at $100) yields a total ticket revenue of ~$1.1 million in revenue of which UND gets 48% or around $500k for potential reinvestment in the football program.  The mens hockey team had 291,692 paying fans purchase a $20 ($500 season for 25 games give or take) for a total of $5,8 million in revenue in which UND gets 48% or around $2.8 million for potential reinvestment in the hockey program.  Now, I'm no Math major, but it sure sounds like all things considered one sport is a cash cow and one sport is a cash pit.  Does that mean you can't support both programs?  No, but some deference should be shown to the hand that feeds the program though...Additionally, once UND gets the full revenue of the tickets they also receive full responsibility for the maintenance and capital investment in a building that cost more than the current Med school (Don't close your eyes, but they have 22 buildings slated for demolition because they can afford the maintenance and upkeep of those buildings with their current revenue projections).

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Wow, be careful! Some on here might accuse you of being ... dare I say it, logical ...

but, but, but, it steps on the toes of the pretty little hockey program ...

Did you used to play football for UND and always lost out on women to hockey players, or what is your issue?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

So using basic math, the 52,129 paying fans of Football at the Alerus paid ~$20 each (5 game season at $100) yields a total ticket revenue of ~$1.1 million in revenue of which UND gets 48% or around $500k for potential reinvestment in the football program.  The mens hockey team had 291,692 paying fans purchase a $20 ($500 season for 25 games give or take) for a total of $5,8 million in revenue in which UND gets 48% or around $2.8 million for potential reinvestment in the hockey program.  Now, I'm no Math major, but it sure sounds like all things considered one sport is a cash cow and one sport is a cash pit.  Does that mean you can't support both programs?  No, but some deference should be shown to the hand that feeds the program though...Additionally, once UND gets the full revenue of the tickets they also receive full responsibility for the maintenance and capital investment in a building that cost more than the current Med school (Don't close your eyes, but they have 22 buildings slated for demolition because they can afford the maintenance and upkeep of those buildings with their current revenue projections).

None of that explains why football ticket revenue is going to the REA to support the building that the cash cow plays in.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

Only if you're accounting for inflation. Med school was $122 million. 

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

None of that explains why football ticket revenue is going to the REA to support that building that the cash cow plays in.

I think everyone here can agree that the FB program needs to get 100% of their ticket revenue.....................................plus the remaining 52% of the hockey ticket revenue ( $3+ million) that isn't being pumped back into the "little hockey program". Can we all agree that that's only fair? 

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Last 2 seasons UND hockey has had an average attendance capacity of 99%, NDSU FB was at 98% and UND FB was at 75%.

And as UND’s #2 sport that’s good. What’s the average attendance capacity of NDSU’s #2 sport MBB? Apples to apples.

Just now, darell1976 said:

And as UND’s #2 sport that’s good. What’s the average attendance capacity of NDSU’s #2 sport MBB? Apples to apples.

So UND FB is the ugly step child to UND hockey?  Is that your point?

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

100% off all revenue from UND sports should be used to fund all UND sports.  Obviously it won't be distributed evenly as some programs cost more than others.  But can we all agree that UND needs to fund all programs so that they can succeed at the Division 1 level?

Very much agree!! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

You compared the #1 sport at UND with the #1 sport at NDSU, why would football fit into that equation

I'll dumb it down for you...there is still one of four seats (on average) that goes unsold for UND FB games at the Alerus. Put some product on the field that people/fans want to see and seIll those seats and there is more revenue coming in for the FB program.  I know you can even see that isn't fuzzy math.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'll dumb it down for you...there is still one of four seats (on average) that goes unsold for UND FB games at the Alerus. Put some product on the field that people/fans want to see and seIll those seats and there is more revenue coming for the FB program.  I know you can even see that isn't fuzzy math.

How do put a product on the field that makes the Alerus 99% full? Can’t say hire coaches because football doesn’t have the money for a top notch coach.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'll dumb it down for you...there is still one of four seats (on average) that goes unsold for UND FB games at the Alerus. Put some product on the field that people/fans want to see and seIll those seats and there is more revenue coming in for the FB program.  I know you can even see that isn't fuzzy math.

Plenty of room for the football program to grow. That immense potential is partly why so many speak towards it (that being UND football).

Yes, UND has 25% additional capacity in the Alerus Center to sell out; product on the field (i.e., wins) *AND* the Gameday experience both are crucial factors in getting 99% attendance to consistently happen. After that happens, then UND can look at raising the ticket prices. First, though, UND needs to reach capacity attendance and that requires more than just wins, although that does help. The Gameday committee that has been working on this issue is far more important than some may realize in all of this. There are plenty of examples from past and present that shows wins themselves won't convince North Dakotans to flock to the Alerus Center. 

*Positive steps were made in 2017 regarding the Gameday experience; unfortunately, the piss poor product on the field negated that and then some. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Does the Alerus or Ralph receive the most football revenue?

Technically the Ralph receives 52% of what football makes in ticket revenue. How much of that makes it back to the football program? Likely less than the original 52%. 

So, all this talk regarding UND football making more with attendance and ticket prices is somewhat moot in that those improvements all just go to the Ralph to potentially pump into the hockey program. The Endgame is bleak. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Plenty of room for the football program to grow. That immense potential is partly why so many speak towards it (that being UND football).

Yes, UND has 25% additional capacity in the Alerus Center to sell out; product on the field (i.e., wins) *AND* the Gameday experience both are crucial factors in getting 99% attendance to consistently happen. After that happens, then UND can look at raising the ticket prices. First, though, UND needs to reach capacity attendance and that requires more than just wins, although that does help. The Gameday committee that has been working on this issue is far more important than some may realize in all of this. There are plenty of examples from past and present that shows wins themselves won't convince North Dakotans to flock to the Alerus Center. 

*Positive steps were made in 2017 regarding the Gameday experience; unfortunately, the piss poor product on the field negated that and then some. 

Like this little attendance fact:

2001 (National title, 1 loss, first season in a dome) 10,024

2017 3-8 record 10,462 (record average attendance)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Technically the Ralph receives 52% of what football makes in ticket revenue. How much of that makes it back to the football program? Likely less than the original 52%. 

So, all this talk regarding UND football making more with attendance and ticket prices is somewhat moot in that those improvements all just go to the Ralph to potentially pump into the hockey program. The Endgame is bleak. 

So, is there a financial report from the UND AD that shows your supposed pilfering of the UND Football revenues to the Men's Hockey program?  Or is it more money going into the maintenance and updating of the facility which happens to house the Hockey Program?  

• Upvote 3

If people want to bring up attendance of hockey vs attendance vs football, don't look at 2000 or 1999. Where the average attendance at Memorial Stadium was more than the capacity of the REA. 

2000- 8658

1999- 8710

capacity at the REA was 6,067

So maybe the funds should have been dumped into football and not so much into hockey. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Only if you're accounting for inflation. Med school was $122 million. 

Yes, both inflation and the addition of the Betty which is connected to the facility...Note that one was paid by privately while the other came out of ND tax coffers and each building has significantly different maintenance and ongoing capital needs.  Lastly, a new hockey arena would never have been built by the State and the only reason we have the Alerus is because we needed to spend Federal matching funds or lose it...