SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

What is with your scramble approach? REA manages the majority of ticket revenue (52%) and always sends the majority of that to the hockey program, either directly or indirectly. Don't act so clueless. 

52% of ALL ticket revenue - *majority*

Does hockey receive more support than all of UND's other programs? Yes

Do most DI athletic programs around the country allow a building management group and/or the major donor to manage the majority of their (the university's) ticket revenue? Absolutely not. 

UND hockey average attendance is approximately 11,500 per game at the REA. UND football average attendance is approximately 10,000 per game at the Alerus. So, does UND football receive 87% of the financial support that UND hockey receives?

Hockey-23/24 games,  season tickets,  $460

Football-5 games,  season tickets, $95

Do the math

BB does not come close to filling the smaller Betty, but it will fill the REA?

UND could open and staff their own ticket office, and keep 100%

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

So the REA manages some/majority/all  ticket revenue?  The REA ALWAYS sends ALL to the hockey program?  Or is it  done proportionally?  It would probably seem like hockey gets more revenue because they have the highest attendance of any D1 hockey program in the country and is the highest attended sport on campus...just sayin'.

whoa, whoa, whoa...Hold on there. don't bring facts into this.

UND hockey average attendance is approximately 11,500 per game at the REA. UND football average attendance is approximately 10,000 per game at the Alerus. So, does UND football receive 87% of the financial support that UND hockey receives? Absolutely not. 

Wow! I guess it is true what they say. Figures Lie and Liars figure. That is some pretty fuzzy math on display. And by the way, I attend about the same percentage of football games as I do hockey.

Image result for fuzzy math meme

A total of 291,692 fans attended Hockey and Football games last year when you combine the attendance.  239,692(82%) of those fans were in the seats at The Ralph and 52,129(18%) of those fans were in the seats of The Alerus.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, sprig said:

Do the math

I went to most of the B.B. games during the second half of the season and men’s B.B. team didn’t sell out the Betty. The attendance was light. I am wondering if a poor record played into it. I think the games were very entertaining. 

Last season UND football actually averaged over 10,500 in attendance, but those details aren't important. 

For the 7 seasons from 2009-2015, there were only 2 games that even had attendance reach 10,000.

I'll let others decide what details are important . . . .

My motto has been when there are money issues the easiest answer is “make more money”.

The Big 10 is handing out 51,000,000 per team their year. 

I don’t know what the issues would be but joining their hockey conference would give us a piece of that pie. Right now we are a commodity.

41 minutes ago, sprig said:

Do the math

My math is correct. The approach to the problem is what differs. I didn't include all of the games because that is intrinsic to the sport's particular season format, not the popularity or potential. 

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

For the 7 seasons from 2009-2015, there were only 2 games that even had attendance reach 10,000.

I'll let others decide what details are important . . . .

So you pick the Muss years of our GWFC days, and 2 years of Bubba’s tenure that was preceding our playoff trip. Try attendance from 2016-2017 which had 6 games over 10k alone.

54 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

My math is correct. The approach to the problem is what differs. I didn't include all of the games because that is intrinsic to the sport's particular season format, not the popularity or potential. 

Please refer yourself to petey's post. Fuzzy math indeed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CarpeRemote said:

My motto has been when there are money issues the easiest answer is “make more money”.

I don’t know what the issues would be but joining their hockey conference would give us a piece of that pie. Right now we are a commodity.

The B1G presidents don’t want anything to do with us, for starters...Arizona State has a better chance at affiliate membership. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CarpeRemote said:

Notre Dame doesn’t get any of that money, but some of its home games are televised by the NBC Sports Network , which pays the Irish.  Presume ND finds that much more lucrative than ND-Merrimack or ND-UMassLowell were in Hockey East.  UND would need the same kind of deal with Fox MSP or some other broadcaster.  The Big Ten will not share any of its TV income with affiliates, including Johns Hopkins.

42 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So you pick the Muss years of our GWFC days, and 2 years of Bubba’s tenure that was preceding our playoff trip. Try attendance from 2016-2017 which had 6 games over 10k alone.

Yes.  And thank you for acknowledging that over the past ten years, UND football hasn’t averaged 10k fans a game. 

17 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Notre Dame doesn’t get any of that money, but some of its home games are televised by the NBC Sports Network , which pays the Irish.  Presume ND finds that much more lucrative than ND-Merrimack or ND-UMassLowell were in Hockey East.  UND would need the same kind of deal with Fox MSP or some other broadcaster.  The Big Ten will not share any of its TV income with affiliates, including Johns Hopkins.

Let’s see how things shake out with the Disney-Fox deal.  Lot of changes in the works.  

3 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Yes.  And thank you for acknowledging that over the past ten years, UND football hasn’t averaged 10k fans a game. 

Meaning what they aren’t worth getting 100% of their ticket sales? They aren’t relevant? Attendance fell towards the end of the Muss era and has since rebounded nicely. 

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Regardless of what "side" you are on, this type of commentary does absolutely nothing to help the situation.

That’s like saying “I will watch what I say so I don’t piss of the FSF, hockey only crowd”. She picked a fight with Kennedy and the university when she ran to the Herald and spat out a bunch of BS, and for what, to get her 5 minutes of fame, to get more money from the school? The situation will be better in twelve years when the university controls their own ticket sales of ALL UND programs. Seemed to have worked well prior to 2001, I’m sure it will work well again in 2030. IMO I have the utmost respect for RALPH Englestad, HE gave us the arena. I have NO respect for his daughter. Ask UNLV if they respect her after pulling funds for a med school. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Meaning what they aren’t worth getting 100% of their ticket sales? They aren’t relevant? Attendance fell towards the end of the Muss era and has since rebounded nicely. 

Nope. Never insinuated nor implied that at all.  Just provided “details” about attendance figures over a longer time period, rather than just one season. 

Go UND football. 

Just now, Benny Baker said:

Nope. Never insinuated nor implied that at all.  Just provided “details” about attendance figures over a longer time period, rather than just one season. 

Go UND football. 

If the hockey team goes through a drought of no championships (national or conference) and has an average to a below average record over say a 10 year period you will see attendance drop at the Ralph. I saw it in the 80’s and 90’s at the old Ralph. Empty seats, losing records, no titles between 83-86 and 88-96, and that’s our #1 sport. So if the Alerus has close to or is above 10k for our #2 sport that’s pretty impressive. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

If the hockey team goes through a drought of no championships (national or conference) and has an average to a below average record over say a 10 year period you will see attendance drop at the Ralph. I saw it in the 80’s and 90’s at the old Ralph. Empty seats, losing records, no titles between 83-86 and 88-96, and that’s our #1 sport. So if the Alerus has close to or is above 10k for our #2 sport that’s pretty impressive. 

Yes, I agree that poor performance has led to the football team averaging less than 10k fans per game over the last ten or so years. 

3 hours ago, sprig said:

Please refer yourself to petey's post. Fuzzy math indeed.

"Fuzzy" math, huh? I gave my explanation and the calculations within my interpretation were correct. The approach could be argued. Petey or whoever can approach it however they want, but I didn't include overall attendance for the reasons I already mentioned. Lastly, UND hockey playing in a $100 M gift is a huge factor in all of this. UND football doesn't have such a venue to play in. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, petey23 said:

Wow! I guess it is true what they say. Figures Lie and Liars figure. That is some pretty fuzzy math on display. And by the way, I attend about the same percentage of football games as I do hockey.

Image result for fuzzy math meme

A total of 291,692 fans attended Hockey and Football games last year when you combine the attendance.  239,692(82%) of those fans were in the seats at The Ralph and 52,129(18%) of those fans were in the seats of The Alerus.

So according to your math. Assume they have 5 games at 13,500 (using record attendance) per game equaling 67,500 a season. So if 307,063 (your example plus mine) attended hockey and football and 67,500 was at the Alerus and 239,692 was at the REA that would be 22% for fans in the Alerus and 78% for the REA. It would always be a mismatch in attendance by your math, so I don't get the point you are making? The REA shouldn't have anything to do with football sales AT ALL. That program's sales should be run by either the Alerus or UND. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So according to your math. Assume they have 5 games at 13,500 (using record attendance) per game equaling 67,500 a season. So if 307,063 (your example plus mine) attended hockey and football and 67,500 was at the Alerus and 239,692 was at the REA that would be 22% for fans in the Alerus and 78% for the REA. It would always be a mismatch in attendance by your math, so I don't get the point you are making? The REA shouldn't have anything to do with football sales AT ALL. That program's sales should be run by either the Alerus or UND. 

Wow, be careful! Some on here might accuse you of being ... dare I say it, logical ...

but, but, but, it steps on the toes of the pretty little hockey program ...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, darell1976 said:

It's not "my" math. It is just math.

You are dangerously close, although I am guessing it is by accident,  to figuring it out....maybe grab a calculator.

I am guessing somewhere in one of these threads some idiot speculated that UND hockey was stealing money from UND football. Just because a couple idiots choose to believe that doesn't make it true.

The people who make the decisions at UND decided it would be beneficial to the football program for the Ralph to handle ticket sales or it wouldn't have happened.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Good lord it never ends... fuzzy math....bad math.... math isnt the problem. (although that whole trying to equate avg attendence without acknowledging 23 game dates vs. 4 games dates was entertaining..... lols)

It's the intellectual capability to understand simple concepts (like math) that keeps these idioits banging their beaks against the wall in frustration.

The jealous of everybody, crybaby,  hockey-hater cult on here are actually screaming in hatefilled glee for a day to come that tears down success so you dont feel so insignificant .....pathetic.

That's a loser's mentality, and a terrible way to go through life. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

18 hours ago, Blackheart said:

So the REA manages some/majority/all  ticket revenue?  The REA ALWAYS sends ALL to the hockey program?  Or is it  done proportionally?  It would probably seem like hockey gets more revenue because they have the highest attendance of any D1 hockey program in the country and is the highest attended sport on campus...just sayin'.

This inane idea that each program should have to sustain itself with its own revenues has to die. It is NOT how intercollegiate athletics works and it likely never will work that way. And this approach will assure that we will continue to wallow in mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Just sayin'.......:silly:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Average attendance for UND FB:

2016: 9944

2017: 10428

Average those last 2 years and taking into account the capacity of the Alerus there is still one of 4 seats empty on average every game.

• Upvote 1