SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

It will be "North Dakota" at center court at the Betty, as has been mentioned on here by others already. But that was a side issue, and not the main issue of the most recent meeting. Of greater concern were the contractual arrangements (that JDub27 has done a nice job elaborating on) between UND and REA. The outcome on those discussions will be harder to discern and sort out by those of us scoring at home.

Seeing the actual layout when finished actually makes me like this even better than the interlocking UND at center court.

If we have highlights that make ESPN or National Sports coverage(like Geno breaking some kids ankles) it lets people know who we are right away. Putting the logo at center court would not accomplish that and having the full name "Fighting Hawks" with the logo on the ends also helps with identity.

Looks good!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

Seeing the actual layout when finished actually makes me like this even better than the interlocking UND at center court.

If we have highlights that make ESPN or National Sports coverage(looking at you Geno Crandell!) it lets people know who we are right away. Putting the logo at center court would not accomplish that.

Looks good!

They will still refer to us as "North Dakota State" or the "Bison" ??? but I get your greater point.

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

They will still refer to us as "North Dakota State" or the "Bison" ??? but I get your greater point.

Sad, but true. I watched the University of North Dakota Softball team play on ESPN in the NCAA tourney a few days ago.

Just now, petey23 said:

Sad, but true. I watched the University of North Dakota Softball team play on ESPN in the NCAA tourney a few days ago.

Argggh... that schtuff just boils my blood. Can't fix stupid or laziness, I guess. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

In general, most individual top plays aren't going to show your center court logo unless it's an end to end type thing. Having North Dakota on the ends would have been better if that's the goal. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

The outcome on those discussions will be harder to discern and sort out by those of us scoring at home.

Some yes but at least in regards to the the usage agreements, some of the changes would eventually come out through UND's financial statements (or much sooner if someone wanted to do a FOIA request......;)).

Regardless, I'm sure there was a variety of topics covered and it's nice to see that everyone has "made nice" for now. Hopefully KEM's scheduled interview with Chris Berg next week doesn't rock the boat.

Just now, jdub27 said:

Some yes but at least in regards to the the usage agreements, some of the changes would eventually come out through UND's financial statements (or much sooner if someone wanted to do a FOIA request......;)).

Regardless, I'm sure there was a variety of topics covered and it's nice to see that everyone has "made nice" for now. Hopefully KEM's scheduled interview with Chris Berg next week doesn't rock the boat.

We'd all need to have your diligence, acumen and interpretive talents to get the job done, tho.  :D

2 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

We'd all need to have your diligence, acumen and interpretive talents to get the job done, tho.  :D

Just dropping a hint to those fine people who buy ink by the barrels and have been known to lurk around these parts....

I like that the new floor isn't so yellow.  Maybe that happens over time?  Regardless, it looks pretty good IMO, even though I support the hawk in the center.  The shaded area inside the three point line are a nice touch.  

As to negotiations, I think it was easy for Kennedy to concede, it was a gesture of good will, and his real priority is in negotiating the new contract.  No need to push too hard on this while the contract is still in play.  

Especially since they clearly already had the stencils, and the contractors were just waiting for the OK to start.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

If we have highlights that make ESPN or National Sports coverage(like Geno breaking some kids ankles) it lets people know who we are right away. Putting the logo at center court would not accomplish that and having the full name "Fighting Hawks" with the logo on the ends also helps with identity.

Looks good!

Very good point 

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

Looks good!

Did you have that opinion in 2001 when the Sioux logo was at center ice? ;)

Associating the new logo with UND is a process.  And UND gets that.  This is a first step.  the logo is on the court as well as the name. 

When it comes to the REA and the Fighting Hawks name and logo........

babysteps.gif

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Actually, setting aside what is put at center court.  The only thing I don’t like is the permanent Volleyball lines. I like VB at UND and go to some matches but actually don’t see VB lines on too many D1 basketball courts.  Makes UND seem a little small.  High Schoolish even.  I think programs that utilize venues for both BB & VB they tape lines down for matches so the lines are removable.  Just my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Did you have that opinion in 2001 when the Sioux logo was at center ice? ;)

Associating the new logo with UND is a process.  And UND gets that.  This is a first step.  the logo is on the court as well as the name. 

When it comes to the REA and the Fighting Hawks name and logo........

babysteps.gif

As I said before. for me I look at the floor or ice or turf initially when their is a new design and after that I don't really pay attention. As far as the Sioux logo vs. The hawk logo, big difference in recognition there and with the non ice sports the Hawk logo will likely not ever have national recognition just due to us being a small fish in the big NCAA pond in those sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1