SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

51 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

That’s fair but don’t underestimate the impact of the hockey staff not buying into the new name and logo.  The hockey crowd is taking a lot of their direction from them.  Most coaches got on board early and tried to make the best of the situation and that helped with acceptance by those fans and at those games.  Berry was noticeably silent. A little chicken and egg going on here again.

Yah...I have been to numerous VB, FB ad BB games since the FH name and logo has come out. I would not classify the "acceptance" at those events as a firestorm!

BTW there are a lot of lackeys on this site but I'd beg to differ that most of them are in the "hockey only" crowd. Just read anything Darell posts!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I get it but not the same.  Universities have a new slogan/campaign for their sports every year.  That dog was going to be shot regardless.

I agree that they aren't exactly the same. One thing in common though is back then NDSU fans used to hang their heads and stare at the ground when the "Scream Yellow" campaign was brought up as it was the subject of scorn and ridicule and was a great time to be a UND alum in Fargo! Now we are on the other end of the stick when the UND logo comes up in mixed company.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Me again, broken record, military theme to tie in with the region, GFAFB.  Scrap the bird theme.

Would be the best option but will never happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

How does selling that land for development play into this?

Ten acres south of the Alerus sold for over $3 million.  $8 million is a pittance for 70 acres for prime urban commercial development.  The Herald is speculating, not reporting.  A new stadium on half that land would cause any outparcels to skyrocket in price.

https://www.prairiebusinessmagazine.com/business/3968883-alerus-center-makes-3-million-land-purchase

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Ten acres south of the Alerus sold for over $3 million.  $8 million is a pittance for 70 acres for prime urban commercial development.  The Herald is speculating, not reporting.  A new stadium on half that land would cause any outparcels to skyrocket in price.

https://www.prairiebusinessmagazine.com/business/3968883-alerus-center-makes-3-million-land-purchase

Danks really thought his land was worth way more.  Alerus just waited him out.  I bet he was asking double for that 10 years ago!! 

34 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Danks really thought his land was worth way more.  Alerus just waited him out.  I bet he was asking double for that 10 years ago!! 

The land around the Danks land is what the city bought. I believe he's still holding onto his. 

11 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I think the fact that the hockey team (and therefore the hockey fans) have rejected the name and logo plays into this too.  Hockey is the highest profile sport at UND and it makes sense that a majority of business owners that co-brand with UND are banking on the hockey team.  They know the hockey crowd (in general) won't embrace anything with the Hawks logo on it.

Please hold your cards, we have a BINGO!

3 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

That’s fair but don’t underestimate the impact of the hockey staff not buying into the new name and logo.  The hockey crowd is taking a lot of their direction from them.  Most coaches got on board early and tried to make the best of the situation and that helped with acceptance by those fans and at those games.  Berry was noticeably silent. A little chicken and egg going on here again.

AS long as the hockey program (coaches and players) continue to reject the Fighting Hawks name and logo, the fans will continue to do the same.  Other coaches have gone all in on the logo and name and you can see the result of the fan reaction at games.  It helps.  Brad Berry is an employee of UND.  If I were Kennedy, I would tell him that it is part of his job responsibility to act in the best interest of the University.  And the thing that he needs to do that he currently isn't to support that is to get behind the new name and logo.  I am not saying that Berry changing his twitter profile pic to a Fighting Hawks logo is going to make everyone accept it.  But if he was as enthusiastic about it as Bubba, Jones, and other coaches, you can't deny the climate would be a lot different. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

AS long as the hockey program (coaches and players) continue to reject the Fighting Hawks name and logo, the fans will continue to do the same.  Other coaches have gone all in on the logo and name and you can see the result of the fan reaction at games.  It helps.  Brad Berry is an employee of UND.  If I were Kennedy, I would tell him that it is part of his job responsibility to act in the best interest of the University.  And the thing that he needs to do that he currently isn't to support that is to get behind the new name and logo.  I am not saying that Berry changing his twitter profile pic to a Fighting Hawks logo is going to make everyone accept it.  But if he was as enthusiastic about it as Bubba, Jones, and other coaches, you can't deny the climate would be a lot .

And you are again foolishly assuming a result based on utterly failing to understand the situation. Again. Continually. Foolish.

• Downvote 2

I'd be curious to see what non-North Dakotan alum think of the logo. Living in Colorado, I don't see the coaches on the news or in the paper. I tune in solely for the games and often only on radio. I feel as though whether or not the coaches are wearing shirts with the logo on it has no impact on my dislike of the logo. Perhaps people outside the local region have a different opinion on coach's influence.

• Like 3

The potential sale of the land is something Im not sure is in the best interest of the University.

HPC2 needs to get done needs a lot of money, but is selling that piece for 8 million a way to raise it?

issues i want to know more about:

Potential future use: dreams vs reality. 

Valuation: $8 Million seems low to me.

How would the cirrent and future donors  feel about selling off the gift. I dont know the intention of those that gifted the land as we do in the the REA case.

If a huge sum is needed for HPC2 so urgently ... the timing of a pissing match with the largest and most visible public donor was even more idiotic. 

I just hope that the resources are being pit to use properly and financially sound.

Was Ray Richards profitable while open and operating?

34 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

And you are again foolishly assuming a result based on utterly failing to understand the situation. Again. Continually. Foolish.

All I am saying is look at the results.  Bubba came out 10 minutes after the logo was announced and gave his full support and acknowledged that is was important for  us to embrace the new logo.  He then said the logo would be on the helmets next season.  Go to football games.  You see the Fighting Hawks logo everywhere.  YOu see flags in the tailgate lot.  People wearing Fighting Hawks merchandise.  You see football players making statements about being Fighting Hawks and being proud of it.  If Bubba had acted like Berry has towards the new name and logo, I don't think you would have seen the same result.

Brad Berry is a leader.  He is the leader of the most popular sport at UND.  And thus, has the largest fanbase.  People look up to Berry and the hockey team as leaders at the University.  They are the most high profile aesthetes at UND.  If Berry were to fully embrace the Fighting Hawks name and logo, there would be a different atmosphere in regards to acceptance of the logo.  They would see how the team is reacting to the logo and name and many would follow.  You can't deny that the hockey program as a whole's rejection of the Fighting Hawks name/logo has played a huge role in people not embracing it.  

Coaches have a responsibility to support the University.  Just like we all have a responsibility to support the practices and policies at our job.  I don't think it should have to come to a point where Kennedy or Chaves is going to have to sit Berry down and say, "Hey Brad, we would really appreciate it if you would maybe be more supportive of the Fighting Hawks name and logo because we are trying to promote our new brand and you and your programs support could really go a long way."  He should realize this on his own.  Apparently he hasn't yet.  

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The potential sale of the land is something Im not sure is in the best interest of the University.

HPC2 needs to get done needs a lot of money, but is selling that piece for 8 million a way to raise it?

How would the cirrent and future donors  feel about selling off the gift. I dont know the intention of those that gifted the land as we do in the the REA case.

If a huge sum is needed for HPC2 so urgently ... the timing of a pissing match with the largest and most visible public donor was even more idiotic. 

I just hope that the resources are being pit to use properly and financially sound.

Maybe they'll name Phase II 'Ray Richards...' 

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'll dumb it down for you again......................most will be or are ok with the nickname (myself included) but it is the logo and 5+ years from now it will still been seen as garbage by almost all who don't like it today. It's not that complicated.

Buy Owbow6 a beer!!  A brilliant post!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The Bronson acreage, where the REA stands, was originally gifted as a spot where intramural fields could be located.  The REA was built there just to piss off the Bronson’s.

19 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

All I am saying is look at the results.  Bubba came out 10 minutes after the logo was announced and gave his full support and acknowledged that is was important for  us to embrace the new logo.  He then said the logo would be on the helmets next season.  Go to football games.  You see the Fighting Hawks logo everywhere.  YOu see flags in the tailgate lot.  People wearing Fighting Hawks merchandise.  You see football players making statements about being Fighting Hawks and being proud of it.  If Bubba had acted like Berry has towards the new name and logo, I don't think you would have seen the same result.

Brad Berry is a leader.  He is the leader of the most popular sport at UND.  And thus, has the largest fanbase.  People look up to Berry and the hockey team as leaders at the University.  They are the most high profile aesthetes at UND.  If Berry were to fully embrace the Fighting Hawks name and logo, there would be a different atmosphere in regards to acceptance of the logo.  They would see how the team is reacting to the logo and name and many would follow.  You can't deny that the hockey program as a whole's rejection of the Fighting Hawks name/logo has played a huge role in people not embracing it.  

Coaches have a responsibility to support the University.  Just like we all have a responsibility to support the practices and policies at our job.  I don't think it should have to come to a point where Kennedy or Chaves is going to have to sit Berry down and say, "Hey Brad, we would really appreciate it if you would maybe be more supportive of the Fighting Hawks name and logo because we are trying to promote our new brand and you and your programs support could really go a long way."  He should realize this on his own.  Apparently he hasn't yet.  

Spot on!! all the coaches but Brad has embraced the change.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

How does selling that land for development play into this?

You gotta think like a president! ;)

This is clearly a ploy by Kennedy to get approval to "sell" the land to an investor.  That investor will pay the $8mil, which will go towards HPCP2*.  Then the investor will build the stadium himself, realizing how beneficial the Ralph has been to protect the stadium costs from UND.  In 30 years, it will be given back to UND.  It will act in the best interests of UND, until his daughter decides she doesn't have any connection to UND and won't renegotiate with President Zach Parise.

* © southpaw, 2018

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Was I happy on August 5, 2005? No. I knew what was coming: 2012. 

Was I happy that something generic (bird) was the choice? No, but I could see it coming. 

Did I figure generic begets generic when it comes to a logo? Yes. Was I happy? No. 

All that said, when I hear "Fighting Hawks" or see the new logo I'm happy.

Why? 

No more nonsensical news stories about how the old name causes this, that, or the other. 
No more grandstanding "protesters" when we go on the road.
No more having to listen to pontifications by Jeanotte-heads. 
No more NCAA threats.

So, amongst all that unhappy, I found my happy in this outcome. 

So yeah, I see that name and log and I smile because I found happy in unhappy. 

All I see is a $50,000 postage stamp. And it makes me sad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Yup that's it because if you put more mayo on chicken s**t eventually it will taste like chicken salad! :silly:

I'll dumb it down for you again......................most will be or are ok with the nickname (myself included) but it is the logo and 5+ years from now it will still been seen as garbage by almost all who don't like it today. It's not that complicated.

;)

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Brad Berry wears Fighting Hawks gear.

Brad Berry publicly  supports the new logo.

If only Brad Berry would post more pictures of himself wearing his  ”I Love Fighting Hawks"  t-shirt on Instagram, all would be good in Hawker land.

So why do players say “Fighting Sioux hockey” during intermission interviews? Or tweet #FightingSioux? I am sure if Berry could he would rip that Hawk patch off the jersey in a split second. He is the least vocal of the name out of the five major sport coaches. Berry doesn’t support the new logo it’s more of tolerating it. 3 coaches want a Hawk on center court of the Betty that’s support. Berry not stepping up and saying to put a Hawk on center ice speaks volumes.