SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

Just now, jdub27 said:

Tough to do since UND isn't a member until 2020.

I'm thinking with how easy it is to cut out chunks of turf, they should look at removing the Big Sky logos and selling some more ad space for the next two years. Just make a big jigsaw puzzle out of the whole thing.

and then roll it up and lay it back down constantly.  I wonder if they have to roll up the turf in Arizona alot?  

On 5/16/2018 at 10:23 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Form 990 for 2017 for REA-related organizations ....
UND Arena Services  EIN: 14-1846178 
UND Sports Facilities EIN: 36-4511153 
Ralph Engelstad Arene EIN: 11-3666663

UND Arena Services "mission or most significant activities": 
MANAGING AND PROVIDING STEWARDSHIP AND OVERSIGHT SERVICES WITH RESPECT TO THE OWNERSHIP, OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE OF ATHLETIC FACILITiES FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT, AND ENGAGING IN ANY OTHER CHARITABLE, EDUCATIONAL, OR SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITY AS PERMITTED BY IRC SECTION 501(C)(3)

UND Arena Services made one Form 990 Schedule I grant last year to ... RE Arena Inc ... of $1,175,803. So one entity moved funds to another. 

UND Sports Facilities: TO MANAGE A SPORTS ARENA FOR THE BENEFIT OF UND SPORTS FACILITIES, INC

Ralph Engelstad Arena Inc: TO OPERATE AND MAINTAIN A MULTIPURPOSE SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT ARENA IN GRAND FORKS, NORTH DAKOTA, PRIMARILY
USED FOR UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA ATHLETICS AND ACTIVITIES

Ralph Engelstad Arena made monetary support to UND Athletics of $751,469 (Schedule A). Schedule R, Part V.2 shows business transactions between the various entities (UND AS, RE Arena, UND). 

And now it seems there's a FOURTH entity (as found in the RE Arena 990, Schedule R, Part I: ARENA HOLDINGS CHARITABLE LLC 

ARENA HOLDINGS CHARITABLE LLC: THIS SINGLE MEMBER LLC OWNS THE RE ARENA AND IS THE LESSEE OF THE LAND

I can't seem to find a Form 990 for ARENA HOLDINGS CHARITABLE which seems odd given the name. However, I can find litigation they were involved in after the arena fire a couple years back (and some other cases). 

Brought forward for reference. 

11 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

We are officially done with the Big Sky. We are FCS Independents with a Big Sky schedule for two years. We can’t win a conference title but can still make the playoffs. If UND or the Alerus wants to they can start changing the Big Sky logo and put a Hawk on the 50. But I will leave that up to Kennedy, the AD, Bubba and the folks at the Alerus. 

Thanks Darrell. I am sure they will consult with you on what should be done.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Tough to do since UND isn't a member until 2020.

I'm thinking with how easy it is to cut out chunks of turf, they should look at removing the Big Sky logos and selling some more ad space for the next two years. Just make a big jigsaw puzzle out of the whole thing.

Heck add that new sponsorship revenue to the 52% MK is going to get back that was "robbed" from the FB program plus add in all the dollars that will be siphoned away from the hockey program and you probably will have enough to just build a new on campus stadium!

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

and then roll it up and lay it back down constantly.  I wonder if they have to roll up the turf in Arizona alot?  

The Cardinals have a field that’s moves completely out of the stadium on tracks.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

There are many here, including myself, that are not fans of the logo but fully understand the need to have it visible at mid field/court/ice. Yet what is ironic is those, including myself, who have suggested that logo be at the 50 yard line have been given one BS line and excuse after another as to why it CAN'T be there. The hypocrisy of some here is mind numbing. I contacted a buddy who works in Arizona with these types of fields/turfs. He said to remove a logo and then add a different one takes time but isn't complicated or impossible as some here suggest. If MK needs to negotiate w McGarry on the mid ice/court logo issues then let's see if he has stones to take on those sponsors calling the shots for the Alerus and get the logo at the 50 yard line for this season.

#inthebestinterests

Just a guess but maybe Alerus will replace the turf when the Fighting Hawks enter the MVFC.   

• Upvote 1

Using the 2017 Form 990s I brought forward (linked above):

UND Sports Facilities:
Gave $751,469 to UND Athletics and $0 to UND Foundation.

The rest of the transactions in the docs appear to be "bill paying" among the organizations (payroll, management fee, operating agreement fee). Have a read. That's why I linked them. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Using the 2017 Form 990s I brought forward (linked above):

UND Sports Facilities:
Gave $751,469 to UND Athletics and $0 to UND Foundation.

The rest of the transactions in the docs appear to be "bill paying" among the organizations (payroll, management fee, operating agreement fee). Have a read. That's why I linked them. 

I'm assuming you haven't found any maintenance or capital spending budgets within these document searches?  It would be interesting to know the balances for these organizations and if any of these balances relate to maintenance or future capital spending projects?

3 hours ago, MrEdway said:

It will only be resolved when all of us curmudgeons die off. The POS of a logo and name was shoved down our throats and I will never forget that.

So spite the school, current and future student-athletes and all those who do want to support it? 

This mindset is troubling. It perfectly expresses the current state of affairs as far as UND support goes. It is certainly less than ideal. There needs to be a consensus amongst UND supporters; until then, we all lose. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Just a guess but maybe Alerus will replace the turf when the Fighting Hawks enter the MVFC.   

The current turf at the Alerus was installed in 2013.  Not sure what the lifespan of the turf is, so I am not sure if replacing it after 7 years is too soon or if it can last longer.  The initial cost to install the Magic Carpet II System was 4 million dollars.  they replaced it for free in 2013 for free.  I am only guessing but I assume the entire system (turf, blowers underneath to lift up the turf in order to roll it up, storage containment , etc) cost 4 million.  The cost to replace just the turf would be much less.

So, if UND/Alerus is looking to replace the turf, it's not going to be the 4M initial cost it originally paid back in 2012 when it was first installed.  Given the fact that UND has a new logo, new script, and are going to be in a new conference, I would anticipate new turf for the 2020 season when UND enters the MVFC.  The Alerus has worked with UND (Gameday committee) has made may improvements in the past 2 years to making the Alerus the "Home of UND football."  That being said, I think we can anticipate seeing the Fighting Hawks logo at midfield when it gets replaced.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Alerus naming rights end in 2021. Unlikely to see the Fighting Hawk logo at midfield before that.

Even after 2021, the event center might think it too valuable a space to give away to UND, and end up selling it again as part of the naming rights.

21 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The Alerus naming rights end in 2021. Unlikely to see the Fighting Hawk logo at midfield before that.

Even after 2021, the event center might think it to valuable a space to give away to UND, and end up selling it again as part of the naming rights.

You can sell the naming rights and still have a logo of your school at midfield.  Happens everywhere.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You can sell the naming rights and still have a logo of your school at midfield.  Happens everywhere.

You can. But as Faison told you in the email. That's the reason there's no UND logo at midfield.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There needs to be a consensus amongst UND supporters; until then, we all lose. 

The "consensus" among UND supporters is quite clear.

Far and away there is a general agreement that people think the logo is shyte. That is the consensus, like it or not.

Very poor word choice.

What you really meant was " Everyone who even remotely is associated with UND needs to mindlessly worship the symbol of mediocrity, or a few of us will relentlesly insult them until they do, untill then we all lose."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Far and away there is a general agreement that people think the logo is shyte. That is the consensus, like it or not.

Me again, the broken record, please someone in authority, get us a better logo to salvage this whole mess.  A better logo can bring back some unity in our fan base IMHO.  (And sell much more merchandise as well)

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You're insane. Art is infinitely subjective. There can be no consensus.

Correct...........and there is an infinite amount of people who subjectively feel that logo is trash! :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The "consensus" among UND supporters is quite clear.

Very poor word choice.

What you really meant was " Everyone who even remotely is associated with UND needs to mindlessly worship the symbol of mediocrity, or a few of us will relentlesly insult them until they do, untill then we all lose."

No, that's not what I meant. I meant exactly what I said. Nice try though. You honestly don't care about UND, despite what you say. 

This "Everyone who even remotely is associated with UND needs to mindlessly worship the symbol of mediocrity, or a few of us will relentlesly insult them until they do, untill then we all lose." is completely insane and not something I would even slightly word. 

Despite what you think, the present problem is there is not an overwhelming consensus against the nickname at this point; more people are coming to terms with the nickname all the time. The alternatives of "no nickname" or "Fighting Sioux" aren't options, so what is the true alternative then? 

Thus, we find ourselves at a crossroads:

Do we dump the logo and the progress made or do we continue to market the new logo and nickname and hope more and more people realize general support is what is again needed?

If you feel leaving the Fighting Hawks logo/nickname and going through another nickname selection process is the best for the University, you purely do not understand collegiate athletics nor what is best for UND. In fact, as I mentioned earlier, I don't think you could care less about what happens to UND athletics (especially non-hockey) moving forward. As such, I have a hard time even listening to your opinions. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1