SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

11 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Yes it will.  Atmosphere has been a huge issue at the Alerus, and what have they been doing to fix that issue?  PUT MORE LOGOS UP!  The one glaring omission is the center of the field, you know, the place that we actually look at while we are at the game or watching it on tv.  The Alerus Center doesn't truly feel like OUR home field.  The lack of a logo has bothered me ever since I stepped foot in the building, and that was before any of this logo business was in the news.  Give me a break... might as well put the Alerus text in the end zones as well, right? 

Never mind the Alerus text on the field stretches for 40 years and it's their outdated logo.

Ok. Again. Wow.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

You don’t think a logo improves an atmosphere? Get the sand blasters and take off all the Sioux logos because obviously you and Ralph had different opinions on logos and what they bring.

I remember being at REA and leaning over to check out the side of my aisle seat and thinking to myself, "you know, I wasn't really fond of the Sioux logo until I looked at it really closely on this seat.  It's actually pretty cool..."  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Should have just gone with this logo.  Even the diehard #Siouxforever fans would be for this!! ;)

hawk.jpg

People who keep posting these head dress hawk logos (which would be against ncaa guidelines and are not an option) are the reason we got stuck with the generic hawks nickname.  

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, nodak651 said:

People who keep posting these head dress hawk logos (which would be against ncaa guidelines and are not an option) are the reason we got stuck with the generic hawks nickname.  

I have wondered this because since birds have feathers it seems a good lawyer could defend this. Is there a lawyer here that can weigh in on this?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

That's 100% correct......and factual! :silly:

BTW you do know the difference between a nickname and a logo correct?

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I hope you sense the sarcasm. Hence the winkey emoji! ;)

38 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I remember being at REA and leaning over to check out the side of my aisle seat and thinking to myself, "you know, I wasn't really fond of the Sioux logo until I looked at it really closely on this seat.  It's actually pretty cool..."  

Did it make the atmosphere of the building improve for you after you became aware of the logo? Asking for a friend.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I hope you sense the sarcasm. Hence the winkey emoji! ;)

Yeah.. was just saying.  Sorry!

46 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

That's 100% correct......and factual! :silly:

BTW you do know the difference between a nickname and a logo correct?

Yes, I know the difference.  I connected the dots using.... logic. 

1.  People are/were infatuated with the Fighting Sioux logo.

2.  The nickname finalists were released before the fan vote.

3.  A handful of "potential" Sioux-like hawks logos were released for the Fighting Hawks nickname.

4. Social media was abuzz with thousands of people liking and sharing said logos, ignorantly thinking that UND could use a similar design.

5. Uneducated fans picked the fighting hawks nickname due to reason 4 above.

6. Uneducated fans were disappointed when a generic logo was released, even though hundreds of other schools across the country have hawks or other birds for their nickname and logo.

7. You realllllly think UND fans would choose a generic bird nickname if they knew the head dress hawk was not going to be an option?  People didn't wan't the runner up, Roughriders, because there was one high school with the same nickname.  Instead they voted for a bird logo, just like every other school, because why exactly?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Yeah.. was just saying.  Sorry!

Yes, I know the difference.  I connected the dots using.... logic. 

1.  People are/were infatuated with the Fighting Sioux logo.

2.  The nickname finalists were released before the fan vote.

3.  A handful of "potential" Sioux-like hawks logos were released for the Fighting Hawks nickname.

4. Social media was abuzz with thousands of people liking and sharing said logos, ignorantly thinking that UND could use a similar design.

5. Uneducated fans picked the fighting hawks nickname.

6. Uneducated fans were disappointed when a generic logo was released, even though hundreds of other schools across the country have hawks or other birds for their nickname and logo.

7. You realllllly think UND fans would choose a generic bird nickname if they knew the head dress hawk was not going to be an option?  People didn't wan't the runner up, Roughriders, because there was one high school with the same nickname.  Instead they voted for a bird logo, just like every other school, because why exactly?

You mean Fighting Hawks didn’t stand for Fighting (Sioux) Hawks (Blackhawks) with a bird in a headdress? :0

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

if logos aren’t important why did the Bison insist the Fargodome put the Bison logo at the 50? 

Because when you win 6 national titles in 7 years and sell out every game, you can pretty much insist on most anything....(key factor being you sell out every game...i.e. hockey)

20 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Did it make the atmosphere of the building improve for you after you became aware of the logo? Asking for a friend.

TIL logo on the side of a chair is equivalent to center ice/field logo.  I wonder why they even bother putting anything at center ice if there is a chair logo?

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, neoflex said:

Because when you win 6 national titles in 7 years and sell out every game, you can pretty much insist on most anything....(key factor being you sell out every game...i.e. hockey)

Then that logo should have been installed in 2018 since that is when they won their 6th title, in July 2012  they didn’t have a DI title (which came after the turf was installed that summer), after their 3 win season in 2010 and didn’t sellout all their games in 2011. So no it’s not because of what happened 2012-2018. It’s because of branding, atmosphere, and possibly what the coaches/players wanted.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

I have wondered this because since birds have feathers it seems a good lawyer could defend this. Is there a lawyer here that can weigh in on this?

Birds have feathers. They don't wear them.

However, if UND was the Molting Hawks, and the feathers simply got stuck there on the way down...

18 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Then that logo should have been installed in 2018 since that is when they won their 6th title, in July 2012  they didn’t have a DI title (which came after the turf was installed that summer), after their 3 win season in 2010 and didn’t sellout all their games in 2011. So no it’s not because of what happened 2012-2018. It’s because of branding, atmosphere, and possibly what the coaches/players wanted.

In 2011 they came pretty damn close to having there stadium full. So again, winning speaks volume but it's conjecture nonetheless. But If the argument is that branding will win you games and bring people in to watch the team and adore a new logo....by all means then go for it. The logo, like everything else with this less than democratic process, is another forced undertaking of getting people to rally behind the marketing of the new logo.  Having a pissed off chicken on steroids - logo isn't exactly something to oohh and aahh at it. When you brand a business, idea or school for this matter, you would hope that it's popular, inspiring, and accepted. It's none of these things, but it's what we are left with and have no choice but to look at. And having to accept it is one thing, and having to stare at it during a whole game is another.

Were all happy for those that deem the new logo completely amazing, but if it were my building, I would be cautious about putting it on center court when it appears a lot of folks have yet to embrace the brand. Put it on a few shirts, mugs, etc....and let's see if it takes off.  And until you see a hockey game with fans donning a hockey jerseys emblazoned with the a hawk on it, you probably wont see it on center ice. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, neoflex said:

In 2011 they came pretty damn close to having there stadium full. So again, winning speaks volume but it's conjecture nonetheless. But If the argument is that branding will win you games and bring people in to watch the team and adore a new logo....by all means then go for it.

This phrase described what Ralph did when he constructed his building. Why else would he put over 2000 “new” Sioux logos on it? He wanted to brand a new image to UND hockey. 

54 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

15 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

This phrase described what Ralph did when he constructed his building. Why else would he put over 2000 “new” Sioux logos on it? He wanted to brand a new image to UND hockey. 

Moot point. The branding of the fighting Sioux was well established long before Ralph engelstad was even a student at the University of North Dakota. The logo has taken on different images but the brand was well established. He just happened to really like it... And of course when it's your building and your money, you can be as ostentatious as you want....and say your welcome.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

See also:  University of Kansas, basketball, University of Indiana, basketball, University of Nebraska, football, University of Alabama, football, and a whole host of other schools known primarily for ONE sport.  

Michigan certainly seems to put out a respectable product consistently across multiple programs.  That’d be a good model.