SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

No, no I don't.

Have a Hawk deliver the game ball to midfield for the kickoff....and not the one in the outfit.

Why did people bitch when the Sioux logo came off of center ice in 2013? Why was it there in 2001 instead of North Dakota? 

Anyone else remember the uproar when the Faison "Interlocked ND" came out and the cataclysm that ensued? 
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=204768425

There were almost daily letters to the GFH saying it's an atrocity, a travesty, and don't put that < bleep > thing on the ice! 

History: the ultimate recycler. 

PS: Spoiler Alert! The Faison Interlocked ND did end up at center ice. ;) 

PPS: REA has had at least three different things (Brien logo, Faison Interlock, Hawk-font wordmark) at center in 17 seasons. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Why did people bitch when the Sioux logo came off of center ice in 2013? Why was it there in 2001 instead of North Dakota? 

Don't know, don't care. It really isn't something I notice more than once. My atmospheric experience hasn't changed in the last 17 years.

Just would rather not have an ugly logo that we would hopefully be transitioning away from in the next couple years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

The interlocking logo was at center ice at the old Ralph.  But when a new logo was created, in a crazy scheme to "shove it down our throats" the powers that be decided to put it at center ice as well as thousands of other places throughout the arena.  

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

... , don't care. It really isn't something I notice more than once.

So why's it bother you if you don't notice it? 

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

... be transitioning away from in the next couple years. 

Remember: the Faison interlock first showed up in fall 2013 and only made it to fall 2017. 

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Anyone else remember the uproar when the Faison "Interlocked ND" came out and the cataclysm that ensued? 
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=204768425

There were almost daily letters to the GFH saying it's an atrocity, a travesty, and don't put that < bleep > thing on the ice! 

History: the ultimate recycler. 

PS: Spoiler Alert! The Faison Interlocked ND did end up at center ice. ;) 

PPS: REA has had at least three different things (Brien logo, Faison Interlock, Hawk-font wordmark) at center in 17 seasons. 

Edit:   Four

script.jpg

2 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Don't know, don't care. It really isn't something I notice more than once. My atmospheric experience hasn't changed in the last 17 years.

Just would rather not have an ugly logo that we would hopefully be transitioning away from in the next couple years.

So if you only notice a logo not more than once, then what’s the big deal of having a Hawk at center ice? 

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The interlocking logo was at center ice at the old Ralph.  But when a new logo was created, in a crazy scheme to "shove it down our throats" the powers that be decided to put it at center ice as well as thousands of other places throughout the arena.  

Weren’t people a little non accepting of the  Sioux logo at first and then warmed up to it?

51 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I never said there weren't, but, off the top of my head, I'll list 25 D1 schools and you tell me what they're known for:

Michigan - Football, Men's Basketball, and Hockey

Ohio State - Football and Men's Basketball

Notre Dame - Football, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball

Penn State - Some very bad things and Football

USC - Football

UCLA - Men's Basketball and Football

Oregon - Nike :D

Villanova - Men's Basketball

Georgetown - Men's Basketball

Florida - Football and Men's Basketball

Miami - Football and Strippers

Florida State - Football and a white guy dressed as a Native American

Alabama - Nick Saban and Football

LSU - Football

Georgia - Football 

Texas - Football and Men's Basketball

Auburn - Football

Oklahoma - Football and Men's Basketball

Kansas - Men's Basketball and that god awful football team.

Duke - Men's Basketball

Kentucky - Men's Basketball

North Carolina - Men's Basketball and cheating on tests

Arizona - Men's Basketball and Football

UConn - Women's Basketball

University of St Thomas - Mafiaman

I think that's about right.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Weren’t people a little non accepting of the  Sioux logo at first and then warmed up to it?

I was a bit afraid that it would re-ignite old name/logo firestorms from the early 80s and late 80s and that bad things might come of it. 

Meh ... what'd I know ... worried about a nothin'-burger, right? ;) 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So why's it bother you if you don't notice it? 

Remember: the Faison interlock first showed up in fall 2013 and only made it to fall 2017. 

Simply put. It is a terrible logo. Out of this whole logo mess why not accentuate the little bit they got right in the wordmark and font.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rick said:

Yes, hopefully the REA management will continue to operate the building past 2030.  It's amazing to me that each year you go and attend your first hockey game it's like the arena is still new.  If Ralph would have turned the arena over to the university after the building was completed I'm not very confident that it would look like it does.  I doubt there would be any funds put away to keep it fresh and new.  With a government entity handling the proceeds over the last 17 years that pool of money would have suffered that same fate as the Social Security Trust Fund.  They'd most likely would have used all the funds to pay the salaries of professors who want the arena tore down.

Agreed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Wow. The logo is going to improve the atmosphere? Take a lap and then shower up.

Yes it will.  Atmosphere has been a huge issue at the Alerus, and what have they been doing to fix that issue?  PUT MORE LOGOS UP!  The one glaring omission is the center of the field, you know, the place that we actually look at while we are at the game or watching it on tv.  The Alerus Center doesn't truly feel like OUR home field.  The lack of a logo has bothered me ever since I stepped foot in the building, and that was before any of this logo business was in the news.  Give me a break... might as well put the Alerus text in the end zones as well, right? 

Never mind the Alerus text on the field stretches for 40 years and it's their outdated logo.

• Upvote 2

And why did these not-for-profits to run the arena get set up? 

Ralph's vision?

Um, ah, no.

The ND Legislature said they wouldn't take a gift building on a campus that didn't have a sustainability plan. The State didn't want to be left paying for maintenance of such a facility. Seeing what's happening with the Little Ralph in TRF right now < gulp > the Legislature might have gotten one right. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And why did these not-for-profits to run the arena get set up? 

Ralph's vision?

Um, ah, no.

The ND Legislature said they wouldn't take a gift building on a campus that didn't have a sustainability plan. The State didn't want to be left paying for maintenance of such a facility. Seeing what's happening with the Little Ralph in TRF right now < gulp > the Legislature might have gotten one right. 

What's going on with the little Ralph?

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Yes it will.  Atmosphere has been a huge issue at the Alerus, and what have they been doing to fix that issue?  PUT MORE LOGOS UP!  The one glaring omission is the center of the field, you know the place that we actually look at while we are at the game or watching it on tv.  The Alerus Center doesn't truly feel like OUR home field.  The lack of a logo has bothered me ever since a stepped foot in the building, and that was before any of this logo business was in the news.  Give me a break... might as well put the Alerus text in the end zones as well, right? 

Never mind the Alerus text on the field stretches for 40 years, and it's their outdated logo.

Fargodome-Interior.jpeghqdefault.jpg

if logos aren’t important why did the Bison insist the Fargodome put the Bison logo at the 50? 

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

What's going on with the little Ralph?

It's becoming a maintenance burden on TRF parks and recs budget. Local volunteers are doing some things. I swear there was an article here somewhere ...