SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Locker rooms cost millions of dollars to build.  Especially from scratch.

Even if you don't start from scratch, they can apparently cost over $3 million. And that's only for 30 players.

• Upvote 2

Alerus? Someone say Alerus? 

The Alerus has also made $2 million in upgrades between the 2016 and 2017 UND football seasons, including new speakers, new lighting and a new Wi-Fi network. ... 

Stenehjem said the committee's original intent still stands in that the improvements are part of a three-year process, making upgrades with the football program's transition to the Missouri Valley Football Conference in 2020 in mind.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4324402-und-ramping-branding-alerus-center 

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Even if you don't start from scratch, they can apparently cost over $3 million. And that's only for 30 players.

Maybe UND should start playing 6 man FB to trim the roster? ;)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

BUT THE LOGO ISN'T DISPLAYED PROMINENTLY AT MID-FIELD!  ZOMG!  

Guessing they would need to replace a large part of the middle section, meaning more seams, which is bad.  

The giant helmet with logo on the outside of the building kind of makes up for it, for now.

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Guessing they would need to replace a large part of the middle section, meaning more seams, which is bad.  

Thanks for the news flash.  I had incorrectly assumed they played on natural grass and figured it would be an easy fix.  :silly:

What's more costly:

Replacing the center section of $4 million dollar custom, specialty indoor football turf
or
A new stencil and three colors of paint to go onto ice. 

Ponder that: The least costly place to put the new logo would be on the ice, not the courts, not the turf, the ice. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

BUT THE LOGO ISN'T DISPLAYED PROMINENTLY AT MID-FIELD!  ZOMG!  

When the current turf was installed in 2013, UND did not have a nickname.  The logo was set to be replaced within 4 years, so the Alerus likely knoew that any logo at midfield would be outdated before it was time to replace the turf.  You can't blame the Alerus for not wanting a logo that would be outdated in just 4 years at midfield.  Given the amount changes done to the building in regards to displaying the new Fighting Hawks logo, I can guarantee the Fighting Hawks logo will be at midfield when it is time to replace it.  

14 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The issue hasn't been lack of funds directed to the programs. There are also plenty of schools have more than one "successful" program.

I never said there weren't, but, off the top of my head, I'll list 25 D1 schools and you tell me what they're known for:

Michigan

Ohio State

Notre Dame

Penn State

USC

UCLA

Oregon

Villanova

Georgetown

Florida

Miami

Florida State

Alabama

LSU 

Georgia

Texas

Auburn

Oklahoma

Kansas

Duke

Kentucky

North Carolina

Arizona

UConn

University of St Thomas 

35 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This is an example of why I'm very comfortable having the REA contract setup. Foolish expenditures.

Instead of the logo at midfield on turf to be seen on TV and so the athletes see it as the walk by,  (as coaches are quotes saying they need) UND spent a ton of money $40,000 on a new graphic for a perfectly serviceable sign on the Alerus center and more (plus $35,000) for the HPC signs... 

Why wasn't that money spent on enhancements that are so badly needed for FB program, enhancements that could have helped with locker rooms, and coaches salaries like I keep hearing about. 

Examples like this of UND spending money foolishly, is why I have NO issue in the REA agreement.

IN fact if the FHawkzis want to keep playing this "for the benefit of all UND athletics"  card.....

keeping the most money out of the hands of foolish spending  is probably true to the spirit of the agreement....."benefiting all UND athletics"!!!

Yeah, spending money to put the schools athletic logo on the buildings their athletic teams play in is something you rarely see schools spend money on.  Give me a break.

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What's more costly:

Replacing the center section of $4 million dollar custom, specialty indoor football turf
or
A new stencil and three colors of paint to go onto ice. 

Ponder that: The least costly place to put the new logo would be on the ice, not the courts, not the turf, the ice. 

Who would have thought it would be more complicated to put the FH logo at the 50 in the AL than it would be to get that large FH logo tattoo on your back removed?

25 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

When the current turf was installed in 2013, UND did not have a nickname.  The logo was set to be replaced within 4 years, so the Alerus likely knoew that any logo at midfield would be outdated before it was time to replace the turf.  You can't blame the Alerus for not wanting a logo that would be outdated in just 4 years at midfield.  Given the amount changes done to the building in regards to displaying the new Fighting Hawks logo, I can guarantee the Fighting Hawks logo will be at midfield when it is time to replace it.  

UND has never had a logo at the 50 because Alerus's naming rights contract mandates that their name is at the 50.  This would have to be re negotiated, or Alerus would have to voluntarily give up this stipulation for UND to place any logo at the 50.

A hawks logo at the 50 would definetly help a ton with improving the atmosphere.  My buddy complains about it every time we go to a game.  The situation is pathetic, and allowing the Alerus to have the sole logo at the 50 was nothing but incompetnce at its finest.

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Who would have thought it would be more complicated to put the FH logo at the 50 in the AL than it would be to get that large FH logo tattoo on your back removed?

Both are still cheaper than getting the Brien logo off your ... < ahem > ... gluteal nether-regions. ;) 

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Kennedy should threaten to sue and pull the team from the Alerus.

The REA always had a logo on center ice until it came to either putting a Fighting Hawk logo or go with the safety of the FSF fans and put the bland North Dakota on the ice furthering the division in the fanbase. The Alerus Center since 2001 never had a logo in the middle of the field, but has a huge Hawk on the outside of the building, even a screeching noise one year to make it more Hawk friendly to make up for that. We enter the MVFC in 2020 so we will see if a Hawk logo goes onto the field which I am sure it does. 

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

UND has never had a logo at the 50 because Alerus's naming rights contract mandates that their name is at the 50.  This would have to be negotiated, or Alerus would have to give up this stipulation, for UND to place any logo at the 50.

A hawks logo at the 50 would defiantly help a ton with improving the atmosphere.  My buddy complains about it every time we go to a game.  The situation is pathetic, and allowing the Alerus to have the sole logo at the 50 was nothing but incompetnce at its finest.

Wow. The logo is going to improve the atmosphere? Take a lap and then shower up.

• Upvote 3

Just now, petey23 said:

Wow. The logo is going to improve the atmosphere? Take a lap and then shower up.

Well that and adding the logo to BOTH sides of the helmets.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

You don’t think a logo improves an atmosphere? Get the sand blasters and take off all the Sioux logos because obviously you and Ralph had different opinions on logos and what they bring.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

You don’t think a logo improves an atmosphere? Get the sand blasters and take off all the Sioux logos because obviously you and Ralph had different opinions on logos and what they bring.

No, no I don't.

Have a Hawk deliver the game ball to midfield for the kickoff....and not the one in the outfit.

• Upvote 1