SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

When it comes to branding, I'd like to see more than zero on the Alerus turf.

Straw man argument. The Alerus is not set up with the sole purpose to operate in the best interest of UND athletics, the relationship is nowhere near the same. Changing turf is also completely different than changing graphics on a court (that was scheduled to be done regardless) or stencils under ice. However I wouldn't be surpassed if it's on the turf before it's on the ice at the REA. 

That being said, they have done a hell of a lot more to incorporate the new logo than the REA, like putting it on the outside of the building. You'll have a better argument when the REA or BESC do something along those lines. I think they even have built in spots to place the when they finally get around to it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Straw man argument. The Alerus is not set up with the sole purpose to operate in the best interest of UND athletics, the relationship is nowhere near the same. They have a few more sponsors to deal with and changing turf is completely different than changing graphics on a court (that was scheduled to be done regardless) or stencils under ice

That being said, they have done a hell of a lot more to incorporate the new logo than the REA, like putting it on the outside of the building. You'll have a better argument when the REA or BESC do something along those lines. 

Bubba should demand the new logo is at the 50................................that in itself would be good for 3 wins this coming season.

BTW...........so sponsors can have a say if and where to logo goes but UND's biggest donor can't?

....and I'll call your BS on the turf issue argument you are trying present.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Bubba should demand the new logo is at the 50................................that in itself would be good for 3 wins this coming season.

BTW...........so sponsors can have a say if and where to logo goes but UND's biggest donor can't?

......yah................................totally.................maybe even four wins.  

Slow down on using the period button. We can all read in typical sentence structure.

33 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Kennedy should threaten to sue and pull the team from the Alerus.

Why, is the Alerus center operating outside of their agreement with UND? And I don't think we've seen any proof that Kennedy threatened to pull any of the teams other some accusations and we've seen how accurate some of the comments have been thus far.

24 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If you can't figure out the difference between the relationships with the REA/UND and Alerus Center/UND, then I can't help you.

To my knowledge, none of the conversations on the layout of the Alerus Center turf nor the sponsorship requirements that the Alerus Center and Altru required for their contribution to the new turf (though I fully agree that there should have been a logo at midfield like it is at Memorial). However we have been privy to a portion of the conversation in regards to the layout of the court at the BESC and it has nothing to do with sponsorship logos so I'm not sure why you're trying to make the comparison. Again, the Alerus Center isn't required to operate in the best interest of UND athletics. The REA/BESC is and completely ignored the court design preferred by the President, AD, every single coach who uses the BESC along with UND Marketing/Branding with zero reason (or at least any that they admitted to, not hard to read between the lines).

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

......yah................................totally.................maybe even four wins.  

Slow down on using the period button. We can all read in typical sentence structure.

Just trying to slow it all down for you! ;)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Why, is the Alerus center operating outside of their agreement with UND?

If you can't figure out the difference between the relationships with the REA/UND and Alerus Center/REA, then I can't help you.

I'm not privy to the conversations on the layout of the Alerus Center turf nor the sponsorship requirements that the Alerus Center and Altru required for their contribution to the new turf (though I fully agree that there should have been a logo at midfield like it is at Memorial). However we have been privy to a portion of the conversation in regards to the layout of the court at the BESC and it has nothing to do with sponsorship logos so I'm not sure why you're trying to make the comparison. Again, the Alerus Center isn't required to operate in the best interest of UND athletics. The REA/BESC is and completely ignored the court design preferred by the President, AD, every single coach who uses the BESC along with UND Marketing/Branding with zero reason.

This "best interest" argument?  Seems to fit whatever narrative you'd like to fit.  BTW it has grossly outlived its self life as an argument in this thread. I hate the Hawk logo but put it where it belongs...at the 50, mid court and center ice. I think we can agree that needs to be done and then we can siphon more dollars to the FB program.

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Maybe Kennedy can ask Mrs. Engelstad for a donation to paint the Fighting Hawks logo on the Alerus Center turf. :whistling:

Only if a representative from Altru can be a mediator to that conversation.

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

At every University in the country there is one sport that is the "cash cow" for the athletic department and financially supports the other programs.  Nothing new.  Is it wrong for the basketball program at NDSU to benefit off of the money the football program brings in every year?  Some sports are more profitable than others.  The fact that the hockey program brings in more money doesn't entitle them to be the only program that benefits.  UND is lucky to have program that is as profitable as the hockey program.  But that doesn't mean others have to suffer because they are not as profitable.  

See also:  University of Kansas, basketball, University of Indiana, basketball, University of Nebraska, football, University of Alabama, football, and a whole host of other schools known primarily for ONE sport.  

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

See also:  University of Kansas, basketball, University of Indiana, basketball, University of Nebraska, football, University of Alabama, football, and a whole host of other schools known primarily for ONE sport.  

P5 school's with programs (or in conferences) that can demand massive TV revenue for their athletic department. Meanwhile, UND doesn't even keep half of it's own ticket revenue. One of these things is not like the other... :blink:

Im not sure maybe somebody does know this for sure, who owns and has responsibility of the turf at the Alerus, The Arena or does it belong to UND. 

Also, UND paid for the brand new Hawk logoed helmet sign on the outside of the ACenter, not the Arena. 

'Bama FB had a profit of $46M this season. Maybe MK can ask McGarry to see if she can get a donation from the 'Bama FB program into the Foundation's coffers so that the Foundation can funnel dollars via a Foundation donation to the UND FB program?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

P5 school's with programs (or in conferences) that can demand massive TV revenue for their athletic department. Meanwhile, UND doesn't even keep half of it's own ticket revenue. One of these things is not like the other... :blink:

So, tell me, after all these years of playing in P5 conferences and raking in all of that massive TV revenue for their athletic departments, how are the Kansas and Indiana football programs looking so far in spring practice?   

• Upvote 2

Just now, MafiaMan said:

So, tell me, after all these years of playing in P5 conferences and raking in all of that massive TV revenue for their athletic departments, how are the Kansas and Indiana football programs looking so far in spring practice?   

Have you seen Bill Self's lake home???

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Have you seen Bill Self's lake home???

We're out on his houseboat now enjoying the cool breeze.  He says that with another 10-15 years of financial support from the men's basketball team, the school is cautiously optimistic that they'll be a .500 football team by 2035.  

This is an example of why I'm very comfortable having the REA contract setup. Foolish expenditures.

Instead of the logo at midfield on turf to be seen on TV and so the athletes see it as the walk by,  (as coaches are quotes saying they need) UND spent a ton of money $40,000 on a new graphic for a perfectly serviceable sign on the Alerus center and more (plus $35,000) for the HPC signs... 

Why wasn't that money spent on enhancements that are so badly needed for FB program, enhancements that could have helped with locker rooms, and coaches salaries like I keep hearing about. 

Examples like this of UND spending money foolishly, is why I have NO issue in the REA agreement.

IN fact if the FHawkzis want to keep playing this "for the benefit of all UND athletics"  card.....

keeping the most money out of the hands of foolish spending  is probably true to the spirit of the agreement....."benefiting all UND athletics"!!!

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The issue hasn't been lack of funds directed to the programs. There are also plenty of schools have more than one "successful" program.

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This is an example of why I'm very comfortable having the REA contract setup. Foolish expenditures.

Instead of the logo at midfield on turf to be seen on TV and so the athletes see it as the walk by,  (as coaches are quotes saying they need) UND spent a ton of money $40,000 on a new graphic for a perfectly serviceable sign on the Alerus center and more (plus $35,000) for the HPC signs... 

Why wasn't that money spent on enhancements that are so badly needed for FB program, enhancements that could have helped with locker rooms, and coaches salaries like I keep hearing about. 

Examples like this of UND spending money foolishly, is why I have NO issue in the REA agreement.

IN fact if the FHawkzis want to keep playing this "for the benefit of all UND athletics"  card.....

keeping the most money out of the hands of foolish spending  is probably true to the spirit of the agreement....."benefiting all UND athletics"!!!

All a mere drop in the bucket compared to what was spent on the lawsuit that had zero returns unless you count negative publicity.

4 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Locker rooms cost millions of dollars to build.  Especially from scratch.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Not sure about the teams spring practice, but the new facilities plans looking pretty good at KU

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article174926821.html

https://kuathletics.com/news/2018/4/18/construction-begins-on-ku-indoor-football-facility.aspx?path=football

and Indiana as well!!

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2018/03/specconstruction