SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

45 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

My experience is that this normally goes the other direction.   there are a lot more und hockey only people than there are anti-hockey  

I live 5 hours away but go to 4-5 fb and 4-5 hockey games each year and see a few bb and vb too.  Serial tailgater and been to fb National championship game and 2 frozen fours to see und so pretty active fan across the board. 

I don’t remember having a fb fan tell me they don’t care about the hockey team or are anti-hockey.  Can’t count the number of hockey fans who told me they don’t care about any team other than hockey.  One guy I used to work with enjoyed telling me that he never missed a hockey game in college but never saw a minute of football and he knows I played fb when we were in school. 

Sounds like you used to work with an asshole.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:27 AM, geaux_sioux said:

Too many eggs in that niche basket.

wow you sound like an NDSU supporter, "Hockey doesn't matter because it's a niche sport." You think that is helping the divide in the fan base? It's easy for you to say that the problem is the hockey only fans? Pot meet kettle. WOW I thought you were better than that. Guess not.

52 minutes ago, Goon said:

As an alum of this school, I want all of the programs to be successful. I want to see the teams moving to the Summit kick ass and be successful on the field and floor. 

Well said, this is how I feel as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, nhockey30 said:

wow you sound like an NDSU supporter, "Hockey doesn't matter because it's a niche sport." You think that is helping the divide in the fan base? It's easy for you to say that the problem is the hockey only fans? Pot meet kettle. WOW I thought you were better than that. Guess not.

Where exactly did I say hockey doesn’t matter? I’m curious.

On 5/17/2018 at 1:32 PM, Teeder11 said:

This silo approach to funding athletics you speak of is a weird way to run a ship.  I think the disconnect is that most of us on here see the Athletic Department as a single entity made up of individual programs -- some big and some small -- very few lucrative and most hemorrhaging cash. What many of us don't see and what we don't believe in is an everyone-for-themselves approach. That kind of mindset may be awesome for the lucrative program(s) but does nothing to move the needle forward for the Athletic Department as a whole, and by extension, the University. This is especially true when your power program is a niche program followed mostly by a vast minority of folks in nine or 10 states on the U.S. northern tier. It's like Johns Hopkins lacrosse rolling off umpteen national championships in a row -- if a tree falls in the forest and no one's there to ....   Oh hell, you get the point.

EDIT: My point is that many of us who tend to argue your points aren't satisfied with JUST the hockey team doing well. We want the hockey team and as many other programs as possible to do well, especially in sports that will garner more press nationally, such as football and basketball.  Look at how Loyola Chicago blew up in this year's Big Dance. 

Very well said. I am 100% in favor of funding the football and bb programs more, however we can not cut back on the hockey team. I agree that the football ticket sales part of the REA contract makes no sense at all. That money should go back to the University (football team) to be reinvested back into the program. Is there a way that can be accomplished? Is there a way to fund Football and BB with more money and still fund Hockey (our largest followed sport) at the same level we do today?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, sprig said:

If all else fails in the Kennedy/McGarry debate here, the anti-hockey people just attack the hockey program, it's coaches, players, and fans. I like all the sports, and can't believe there are fans of any one UND sport that are willing to attack the others here in this board. What the hell is wrong with you so called UND fans.

"Anti-hockey" aim? Many "UND hockey only" fans exist, not so many "anti hockey" in my experience.  For me personally, I have both UND hockey and UND football season tickets. A few of the folks that I have been sitting by at the Ralph dislike "other"!UND athletics; in fact, one individual has had NDSU football season tickets AND UND hockey season tickets for over 10 years. The Ralph is just a emblem of status and is used as such for some; little link to UND for some of these folks compared to it acting as a social event. These types do exist I'm afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

"Anti-hockey" aim that is nothing more than a shot in the dark. Many "UND hockey only" fans exist, not so many "anti hockey" in my experience.  For me personally, I have both UND hockey and UND football season tickets. A few of the folks that I have been sitting by at the Ralph dislike "other"!UND athletics; in fact, one individual has had NDSU football season tickets AND UND hockey season tickets for over 10 years. The Ralph is just a emblem of status and is used as such for some; little link to UND for some of these folks compared to it acting as a social event. These types do exist I'm afraid. 

......and why do you have hockey tickets? I'm being serious. Never met you but have never heard a season hockey ticket holder in 20 years rag on the program like you.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

......and why do you have hockey tickets? 

I proudly support my alma mater and its athletic program. I enjoy watching hockey. I have good seats. I enjoy the company. It is fun. 

Do those reasons suffice? Can I keep my damn tickets? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Can you give me one way the current usage agreement with the REA is beneficial to the football program? They pay rent at the Alerus Center and give 52% of their ticket revenue to the REA. Plus I think they get dinged for some of the expenses to run the HPC. The REA has a lot of money in reserves, I'm having a hard time buying that they continue to need football ticket revenue or that they ever should have to begin with. 

I concede the basketball program is benefiting but it's fair to point out the exposure potential is greater than anything on campus and it's not really close.

Agree 100% the football ticket revenue needs to be removed from the REA contract, in no way, shape or form should the football program pay for the hockey program at all. That money needs to all go back to the U/football program. Is that enough to drive the football program to new heights? I honestly don't know? Also why can't we get a deal like NDSU has with the Dome? No rent, free to use for games, etc. That was reported on this board many pages ago.

To tell everyone how bad memorial is now - it will more than likely be condemned and tore down days after the team moves out.  But HPCII needs to be built first, which takes another 15-20 million just to get going.  

The FB/Track alums did the heavy lifting on HPCI to the tune of 10 million.  Now they gotta do it again.  

51 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

"Anti-hockey" aim? Many "UND hockey only" fans exist, not so many "anti hockey" in my experience.  For me personally, I have both UND hockey and UND football season tickets. A few of the folks that I have been sitting by at the Ralph dislike "other"!UND athletics; in fact, one individual has had NDSU football season tickets AND UND hockey season tickets for over 10 years. The Ralph is just a emblem of status and is used as such for some; little link to UND for some of these folks compared to it acting as a social event. These types do exist I'm afraid. 

I'll  change anti hockey to those in this thread who are ripping hockey, the program,  the team,  the coaches,  etc

Like oxbow, I've never heard anyone at hockey ragging on other UND sports. In fact,  most everyone I know has tickets for all sports

9 minutes ago, sprig said:

I'll  change anti hockey to those in this thread who are ripping hockey, the program,  the team,  the coaches,  etc

Like oxbow, I've never heard anyone at hockey ragging on other UND sports. In fact,  most everyone I know has tickets for all sports

Lolol...dohkay.  Don't know what to say to help you out....wow

(Yah, maybe not AT the game while it's going on but...)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Most professional teams rope off or tell everyone to not step on their logo in the locker room. 

The same thing that happened to TO when he decided to slam the ball down and dance on the star in Dallas...

Then why put it on the damn floor or in the carpet?  

This only became an issue when Florida State and Miami took turns stomping on each other's logos at midfield circa 1995-2000 and now all of a sudden, we can't put logos on courts or fields...or carpets.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Goon said:

As an alum of this school, I want all of the programs to be successful. I want to see the teams moving to the Summit kick ass and be successful on the field and floor. 

As a fan of the school since my first game in 1984 (which was hockey) I agree with your post. Go UND!!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Then why put it on the damn floor or in the carpet?  

This only became an issue when Florida State and Miami took turns stomping on each other's logos at midfield circa 1995-2000 and now all of a sudden, we can't put logos on courts or fields...or carpets.

Member when teh Biebs took a pic with the cup and his size 7’s were on the Blackhawks logo? I member.

A4A00D6F-3554-45E2-8334-F108EA917363.jpeg

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'll add that to the list of excuses as to why the FB team can't possibly succeed................................

Yeah, that's right. I forgot it is the responsibility of the FB players to raise the money themselves holding 50/50 raffles. This is definitely on them. (sarcasm) :silly:

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

With friends like that who needs enemies................................................

If calling for strengthening all of our athletic programs is "anti-hockey", then I am not the one with the problem.

This is not a zero-sum game. Strengthening our other programs will not make hockey weaker. It will make the entire department stronger. But the hockey-only zealots couldn't care less if the non-hockey programs rot on the vine and die. That has to change. Otherwise, we need to move back down to D-II. And no, I am not being facetious about that.