Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
jdub27

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Football generates revenue. If they sell one ticket they generated revenue

And it's been shown here already that REA retains 52% of football ticket revenues. 

I see what you are trying to do here but.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I see what you are trying to do here but.............

Words mean things.
They generated revenue.
Did they generate excess revenues to expenses (some call that 'profit')? There's the question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lawkota said:

Thanks for posting that. 

 

Quote

RE Arena, Inc. RE Arena Inc. and UND, enter into an annual operating agreement from July 1 to June 30. The operating agreement sets forth the facility usage, fees and services, ticket administration and revenue allocation, sponsorship sales administration and revenue allocation, and net income disposition. In accordance with this agreement: (i) RE Arena Inc. collects all ticket revenue from ticketed UND athletic events (men’s and women’s hockey, football, men’s and women’s basketball, and volleyball), RE Arena, Inc. retains 52 percent of such ticket revenue and remits 48 percent to the UND, and (ii) RE Arena Inc. collects all sponsorship sales revenue from the UND athletic events at the arena, RE Arena, Inc. retains 64 percent of such sponsorship revenue, net of direct costs, and remits 36 percent to the UND net of direct costs. In addition, UND and RE Arena, Inc. jointly utilize the UND and RE Arena Inc. marketing staff to market and promote the UND athletic events.

 
Quote

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most U athletic departments across the country receive complaints from their alumni in that the financial reports are too complicated to understand.  In our case, throw in a RE Arena, Inc. and it complicates things even more. This is a good educational thread for the fans. Hope the May 30th meeting in LV, NV brings more light to our athletics?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I totally agree, I was there for the transition from the Barn, and many games since college. The crowd was pretty much all serious cheering loud fans. Today's crowd seems to have more of a family flavor to it and therefor not as intense.

You can blame today's tame atmosphere on the nanny state UND athletic department. Rules on top of rules for the student section. Those students are dam adults and don't need babysitting. If you want the same atmosphere then go back to the old rules from the old Ralph. UNDs student section is looking more like NDSUs football student section where everyone looks bored when the TV cameras turn their way.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You can blame today's tame atmosphere on the nanny state UND athletic department. Rules on top of rules for the student section. Those students are dam adults and don't need babysitting. If you want the same atmosphere then go back to the old rules from the old Ralph. UNDs student section is looking more like NDSUs football student section where everyone looks bored when the TV cameras turn their way.

It's the rich snobby people who pay premium dollars that get upset and complain about the students.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You can blame today's tame atmosphere on the nanny state UND athletic department. Rules on top of rules for the student section. Those students are dam adults and don't need babysitting. If you want the same atmosphere then go back to the old rules from the old Ralph. UNDs student section is looking more like NDSUs football student section where everyone looks bored when the TV cameras turn their way.

2 words....smart phones.  Before they existed, all you could do as a fan at the game was stay fully engaged in what was going on the ice or the people around you.  No fans (and to a greater extent students) bury their head in their phones for much of the game creating a stale, dull atmosphere.  Certainly not jsut a problem here, but a problem all over the country.  Not sure what you can do to change that. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

2 words....smart phones.  Before they existed, all you could do as a fan at the game was stay fully engaged in what was going on the ice or the people around you.  No fans (and to a greater extent students) bury their head in their phones for much of the game creating a stale, dull atmosphere.  Certainly not jsut a problem here, but a problem all over the country.  Not sure what you can do to change that. 

Completely disagree.  It's because its too hard to get drunk in the student section now days.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

But UND is it known as a "hockey school"......whether that is right or wrong yet you have no problem with the redistribution of that program's revenue. The current REA agreement needs to be renegotiated to better terms for the other sports but here shouldn't be continued excuses for the MBB and FB programs to underachieve revenue wise. When the Alerus is 70% full attendance wise and MBB is even less I don't see how that is all on the hockey program. BTW I have yet to see any one claim that FB and BB need to "entirely carry their own weight" but I could have missed a post or two.

 Football and basketball need more support. That is simply the way it is. It isn't an excuse when facts and figures show UND football & basketball coaches are underpaid and the coach offices, locker room and meeting room facilities are less than adequate (especially for football). If those things weren't the case and attendance was still horrible, then your attendance argument would perhaps work. But until football and basketball have adequate level funding and facilities we don't know what they can actually be within Grand Forks as DI programs. They've never had that opportunity since the REA came on board during the DII era and revenue redistribution was not addressed during the DI transition.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

 Football and basketball need more support. That is simply the way it is. It isn't an excuse when facts and figures show UND football & basketball coaches are horribly underpaid and the facilities are less than adequate (especially for football). If those things weren't the case and attendance was still horrible, then your attendance argument would perhaps work. But until football and basketball have adequate level funding and facilities we don't know what they can actually be within Grand Forks as DI programs. They've never had that opportunity since the REA came on board during the DII era and revenue redistribution was not addressed during the DI transition.

Agree with you both sports need to be funded better but what's wrong with the Betty?  Or the Alerus?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agree with you both sports need to be funded better but what's wrong with the Betty?  Or the Alerus?

They're fine. Salaries and HPC phase II  desperately needed. Without those two things, UND is not a top school within both the MVFC and Summit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agree with you both sports need to be funded better but what's wrong with the Betty?  Or the Alerus?

Good point, we have great facilities for basketball and football. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

They're fine. Salaries and HPC phase II  desperately needed. Without those two things, UND is not a top school within both the MVFC and Summit. 

Facilities don’t mean anything if we can’t win on the field. We have an IPF while NDSU has a bubble and they win it all while we have only a shared conference title to show for it. It’s a good recruiting tool but that can only go so far when comparing to wins and titles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Facilities don’t mean anything if we can’t win on the field. We have an IPF while NDSU has a bubble and they win it all while we have only a shared conference title to show for it. It’s a good recruiting tool but that can only go so far when comparing to wins and titles. 

Have you seen the football locker rooms and meeting rooms?

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You can blame today's tame atmosphere on the nanny state UND athletic department. Rules on top of rules for the student section. 

 

Numerous times this season,  I shot photos from the ADA seats in the student section and I couldn't believe the way the ushers treated the students. I made a comment about this to another person taking photos. Someone from the student body needs to take this higher. A puck goes into the crowd and you have ushers running to that location as if there's going to be an incident.  I was taken back by their behavior. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Have you seen the football locker rooms and meeting rooms?

I'll add that to the list of excuses as to why the FB team can't possibly succeed................................

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'll add that to the list of excuses as to why the FB team can't possibly succeed................................

 

 

I'll take that as you haven't.   Take a tour around one day when your up there.  Might be surprised.

Then, compare it to the hockey locker rooms that needed to be "upgraded".  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I'll take that as you haven't.   Take a tour around there one day when your up there.  Might be surprised.

Your take is incorrect.....I have.

 

Was just in the hockey locker room and meeting rooms recently too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

interesting thread,  I think I am less of a football fan because of it..   carry on

Wondering what your baseline is a fb fan. Or maybe looking to justify why you don’t care about the fb program?

How many UND fb games did you attend last year?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Facilities don’t mean anything if we can’t win on the field. We have an IPF while NDSU has a bubble and they win it all while we have only a shared conference title to show for it. It’s a good recruiting tool but that can only go so far when comparing to wins and titles. 

??

Disagree. Recruiting is a huge part of winning, man.

NDSU's facilities are very nice within FargoDome; completely cater towards their football program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×