SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

Regardless of "he said, she said" the fact that no one wants to understand or comprehend, regardless of who's side you are on, is the Engelstad Foundation's stack of chips is way bigger than Kennedy's in this poker match.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Here's an analogy for the soft crowd:

Let's say you've been renting a home. After 18 years, you hit some hard times. You ask the landlord for some help. Maybe rent forgiveness, maybe reduced rent, maybe renegotiate the lease entirely. After all, you've been a good tenant.

The landlord says no. How do you respond? Frustration? Anger? Fight back? Move out? Bite the bullet and stay?

Sprinkle in some new facts:

1. The home cost > $100MM, was custom built for you, and becomes yours in 12 years.

2. The landlord is a non-profit corporation set up almost entirely for your benefit.

3. Your proposals are objectively reasonable, and do not cause the landlord any grievous economic harm.

Does your response change?

And you've been making additional payments to the landlord beyond the rent agreed upon in the lease for the past 18 years because the landlord doesn't know how to budget.

• Upvote 2

It's funny how Kennedy spends most of the article refuting (or clarifying) her claims but then finds himself saying he "wouldn't suggest she's being dishonest."  And this after McGarry is reminded that she's on the record after contradicting Kennedy's statements.  Lots of he said she said but nobody wants to call the other party out for lying.

2 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

It may have been ugly. But the truth is often ugly, and painful. The real question, was it effective? :) 

I got it, but it probably lacked effectiveness because it gave everyone who disagreed an excuse to feign outrage rather than think about the message.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Regardless of "he said, she said" the fact that no one wants to understand or comprehend, regardless of who's side you are on, is the Engelstad Foundation's stack of chips is way bigger than Kennedy's in this poker match.

So that means they run the university? That means they can continue taking more and more of the financial pie? If the princess wants Kennedy's job, she should get it for about a month and she'll learn how hard it is.

We can't demand a strong UND President that "gets it" and then demand he genuflect to every rich donor that runs to the Heraldo whining and crying because he had the unmitigated gall to question that donor about something. #makeupyourmind

• Upvote 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

So that means they run the university? That means they can continue taking more and more of the financial pie? If the princess wants Kennedy's job, she should get it for about a month and she'll learn how hard it is.

We can't demand a strong UND President that "gets it" and then demand he genuflect to every rich donor that runs to the Heraldo whining and crying because he had the unmitigated gall to question that donor about something. #makeupyourmind

You think Oklahoma St. has had a similar conversation with T. Boone Pickens?

Granted it's one side of the story but Kennedy comes across as a bully..........and career politician.

I'll look forward to his response.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

It's funny how Kennedy spends most of the article refuting (or clarifying) her claims but then finds himself saying he "wouldn't suggest she's being dishonest."  And this after McGarry is reminded that she's on the record after contradicting Kennedy's statements.  Lots of he said she said but nobody wants to call the other party out for lying.

In my view, Kennedy looks like the buffoon saying at least 4 times "he doesn't recall saying that".  If he didn't make those statements, then say so.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Granted it's one side of the story but Kennedy comes across as a bully..........and career politician.

I imagine T Boone Pickens doesn't take a huge cut of the revenues from his gifts. He gives because he wants Oklahoma State to be successful. That attitude seems to be missing in Vegas right now.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This is a key point. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in those meetings. Who knows what context those comments were made in? Someone is not telling the whole truth here.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't think the princess understands that.

And since the princess went out of her way to...........

And the princess should think long and hard.......................

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If the princess wants Kennedy's job........................

Ha!  You've obviously never met her.

You can criticize her approach or her motivations without the thinly veiled misogyny.

• Upvote 2

The one who goes public usually does so to get out in front of something (perhaps something deeper).  I would guess that Ralph's kids have been raised to be tough and savvy yet she is running to the paper to cry about something she doesn't like at UND. 

Preemptive deflection, perhaps?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Misogyny? I am talking about her approach and attitude towards UND. Which I don't like. And which I don't think makes her look good.

The Herald will work to frame it better in the future.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I'll take Engelstad Foundation and the 3 points. :)

The one with the biggest hammer almost always wins.........................................................

1 minute ago, streetsahead said:

However you feel about the Engelstad Foundation and REA, I for one am not optimistic about the University's willingness and ability to spend the money to keep the arena updated on a regular basis.

2025---renegotiate the terms of the contract. Have the new terms  supersede the last 5 years of agreement while extending the contract to 2040. Win/Win

• Upvote 1