SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

He is supposed to have UND's best interests in mind............IMO that would include trying get this fiasco resolved. If he basically says "I can't work with her anymore" then UND will need to start selling lots of Hawk hats and that's ok as well.

I don't think we have seen a quote from Kennedy saying anything along those lines.  He doesn't seem to want to negotiate this publicly.  The only references to Kennedy's unwillingness to work with McGarry have come from her.  Based on the fact that she has already been caught in outright lies, I'm not sure she is the best source for what is actually happening behind closed doors.

Like you, I hope this can be worked out.  That being said, Kennedy needs to proceed in the best interests of UND.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

I don't think we have seen a quote from Kennedy saying anything along those lines.  He doesn't seem to want to negotiate this publicly.  The only references to Kennedy's unwillingness to work with McGarry have come from her.  Based on the fact that she has already been caught in outright lies, I'm not sure she is the best source for what is actually happening behind closed doors.

Like you, I hope this can be worked out.  That being said, Kennedy needs to proceed in the best interests of UND.

Correct. My point is that IF he finds that he can't work with her on this issue moving forward to get some resolution..................

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Second as it has been mentioned many times in this thread...........she holds the pen.

I would hope Kennedy would try to work with her but if she is completely unreasonable in all discussions moving forward well then .....................................

The pen she has most control over is the Engelstad Family Foundation (EFF).
The other organizations are contractually bound to UND. Yes, there is some 'play' in those also. 

With the EFF pen, since 2015 (the last $2M installment of a $20M endowment) there has been $20,000 that I can find in Form 990s.  (Haven't found a 2017 990 for EFF yet.) 

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Correct. My point is that IF he finds that he can't work with her on this issue moving forward to get some resolution..................

Fair Point.  It's hard to believe that a compromise can't be reached in these negotiations.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Get a AHL affiliate of Winnipeg or Wild & I just might die (freeze to death ) here :' )

Guess what.
I have no affiliation to either of those. 
In your scenario my days as a season ticket holder to a home team housed in REA: done. 
And I suspect I'd not be alone. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

Fair Point.  It's hard to believe that a compromise can't be reached in these negotiations.

I think the message she's trying to relay is that he's impossible to work with. JMHO

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Guess what.
I have no affiliation to either of those. 
In your scenario my days as a season ticket holder to a home team housed in REA: done. 
And I suspect I'd not be alone. 

Winnipeg isn't going to move their AHL team out of Winnipeg. Just a hunch. 

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think the message she's trying to relay is that he's impossible to work with. JMHO

He's the president of a university that's facing the second round of 10% across the board budget cuts from the State. I could see how that'd make a person a tough negotiator. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Goon said:

Based on what evidence?  That Kennedy wants to revisit an agreement that is signed annually and potentially make it more beneficial to UND? 

What evidence do we have that McGarry is willing to move forward in good faith?  We know she has lied regarding Kennedy's unwillingness to meet.  BTW, I agree with you that McGarry is trying to get that message across.  I just question her credibility.

• Upvote 4

Some confusion here, things to remember:

Engelstad Foundation shouldn't even be in this conversation or in the title of this thread.

The Ralph is separate form the Engelstad Foundation, except that Kris is a board member of both. The Foundation is in Nevada.

All the concerns that I see on here are between UND and the R E Arena, Inc. which has a board (throw in the two UND non-profits (tied into UND atheletics) that also have a board, which are mentioned earlier in this post).

The question I ask, why are the other board members so quiet??? Are they not all equal board members??????

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

He's the president of a university that's facing the second round of 10% across the board budget cuts from the State. I could see how that'd make a person a tough negotiator. 

Can you UND swap out the EFF as it's primary donator for................................................................Doug Burgum??? 

sinble quwstuon?

24 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You think Grand Forks could support an AHL team? I am thinking not.

AHL team could not last. #1 reason is proximity to a major NHL team. #2 reason is proximity to a major airport where said teams head personal/players can fly in and out of at a quick pace.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Although I dislike the way McGarry has gone about handling this issue, what's with the constant reference to "MISS McGarry"?  Is it supposed to be a diss of some sort?

29 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am expressing my feelings regarding her spoiled rotten entitled attitude. She acts like everyone works for her and owes her everything. She obviously did not learn much from her dad about treating people right and being an honest broker in business.

I stopped calling her a princess when some people complained, so I switched to using MISS instead of Ms. I suppose I could just drop it altogether.

Looks like we have another nickname controversy!! ;) 

• Upvote 2

Just now, petey23 said:

Yeah. I didn't want to be the first to chime in, but unless it is just a bad angle, the middle of the floor looks like someone threw up.

Great artistic minds think alike.  :D

Waaaayyy too much going on at mid-court there.  If you look at every major college BB program you will see a logo at midcourt.  That's it.  

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Great artistic minds think alike.  :D

Waaaayyy too much going on at mid-court there.  If you look at every major college BB program you will see a logo at midcourt.  That's it.  

Well, that look good anyway.

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I am aware of this, just seems that's the message she was projecting. 

23 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

Based on what evidence?  That Kennedy wants to revisit an agreement that is signed annually and potentially make it more beneficial to UND? 

What evidence do we have that McGarry is willing to move forward in good faith?  We know she has lied regarding Kennedy's unwillingness to meet.

Did you listen to this interview? http://www.valleynewslive.com/content/misc/Kris-Eng-482606541.html

She telegraphing how she feels. If this was a marriage we'd be looking for a lawyer. Ahem, Is there a divorce lawyer in the house?

She's also calling out the NDSU for not being in contact with her. 

Just how I see it.  

42 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

What evidence do we have that McGarry is willing to move forward in good faith?  We know she has lied regarding Kennedy's unwillingness to meet.  BTW, I agree with you that McGarry is trying to get that message across.  I just question her credibility.

There is evidence McGarry is not acting in good faith.  After her Foundation attorney, Foundation accountant, and REA manager Hodgson spent months negotiating a new deal with Kennedy, she shot it down and said case closed.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Goon said:

Did you listen to this interview? http://www.valleynewslive.com/content/misc/Kris-Eng-482606541.html

She telegraphing how she feels. If this was a marriage we'd be looking for a lawyer. Ahem, Is there a divorce lawyer in the house?

She's also calling out the NDSU for not being in contact with her. 

Just how I see it.  

People are questioning her motives since she initially ran to the press and then days later the real information came out that indicated that she lied about the correspondence with Kennedy and this was indeed about a logo. It was also pointed out by others before the info came out to question the validity of someone that runs to the press because in politics that is a way of controlling the narrative. Add in the fact that she withheld a large donation to the school she actually has a connection with and you can see why some people questions her motives and character. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Can you UND swap out the EFF as it's primary donator for................................................................Doug Burgum??? 

We have the better Burgum (Rick) and his first cousin (Jimmy Williams). 

https://issuu.com/und_foundation/docs/2009-2010undfoundationreport 

41 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Some confusion here, things to remember:

Engelstad Foundation shouldn't even be in this conversation or in the title of this thread.

The Ralph is separate form the Engelstad Foundation, except that Kris is a board member of both. The Foundation is in Nevada.

All the concerns that I see on here are between UND and the R E Arena, Inc. which has a board (throw in the two UND non-profits (tied into UND atheletics) that also have a board, which are mentioned earlier in this post).

The question I ask, why are the other board members so quiet??? Are they not all equal board members??????

Very good question.  The board does have several Engelstad family friends/business partners on it, but there are also several UND/Grand Forks connected persons.  However, when seeking guidance on how to act on certain issues REA manager Hodgson only contacts the Engelstads for input.  Why is this happening?

• Upvote 3