SiouxSports.com Forum

New Mascot

petey23

Mascot Name  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Now that UND has voted on and approved a new Hawk Mascot, it is time to name the Hawk.

• Tommy
    • Mike
    • F.N.
    • Mx.
    • Chatan
    • Darell

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I never got the memo that mandated those two things have to be mutually inclusive for fandom.

Apparently they sent around literature at the "other" sporting events. Since, you know, none of us attend those ;)

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So curious to people who aren't fans of the Hawks name.  If you are say at the Frozen Faceoff and hear a St Cloud fan yell "Hawks suck" during the game.  Do you get offended or do you not care that someone just put down the team you cheer for because you don't identify with that name as the University of North Dakota?  

His choice. I could not care less 

• Upvote 1

A Boy Named Sue

I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue"
And he said, "Son, this world is rough
And if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough
And I know I wouldn't be there to help ya along
So I give ya that name and I said goodbye
I knew you'd have to get tough or die
And it's the name that helped to make you strong"

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If you are say at the Frozen Faceoff and hear a St Cloud fan yell "Hawks suck" during the game.  Do you get offended or do you not care that someone just put down the team you cheer for because you don't identify with that name as the University of North Dakota?  

I don't care because they're St Cloud fans and they have bigger things to worry about.

For example, losing Coach Thumb Head to the Gophers.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd defend my team, but not necessarily acknowledge the team name. No need to. I'd say most would do the same. Offended? No. I don't get offended when someone tells me my team sucks. That's silly.

That, or I'd just make some sort of a quip back to said Clown fan that they have less NCAA tournament wins than we do Nattys. :D

Will Borgen's mom was sitting behind me at the Ralph.  Nice lady.  We both agreed that the Rodents suck.  When we took the tie breaker it OT on Saturday night, she responded to the UND student section's chant of "husky women".

Her quote was "well you guys are the fighting hawks".  Nobody in my section took issue with her comment.  Only 1 comment from 1 of my neighbors, "we have 8 Nattys, how many you have"?

No one defended the FH name.  "Hockey only fans, you know."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Will Borgen's mom was sitting behind me at the Ralph.  Nice lady.  We both agreed that the Rodents suck.  When we took the tie breaker it OT on Saturday night, she responded to the UND student section's chant of "husky women".

Her quote was "well you guys are the fighting hawks".  Nobody in my section took issue with her comment.  Only 1 comment from 1 of my neighbors, "we have 8 Nattys, how many you have"?

Precisely lol. 

Plus... they are huskies... so, it's generic team mascot A vs. generic team mascot B. Congrats on ALSO not being unique haha.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Literally like all the fans... of like 9000 college and pro teams. like one homogenous goo of unoriginal #unity

It's funny that somehow you think the Fighting Sioux nickname/logo made you different and unique from all the other college sports fans out there. Here's a hint, it isn't the nickname or logo that makes a college special, it's the other way around. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There are many teams that are the Hawks.  But only one is Fighting!!! (In more ways than one)  ;)

Yes, now give the mascot something to fight with!  I know, I'm a broken record.

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So curious to people who aren't fans of the Hawks name.  If you are say at the Frozen Faceoff and hear a St Cloud fan yell "Hawks suck" during the game.  Do you get offended or do you not care that someone just put down the team you cheer for because you don't identify with that name as the University of North Dakota?  

Hasn't happened yet. I'll let you know when it does.

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

Yes, now give the mascot something to fight with!  I know, I'm a broken record.

Actually the bland look of the fighting hawks logo is probly really intimidating and scary to the snowflake society that we seem to be living in today. Pretty soon someone’s probably going to want to change the logo because it looks too frightening and scary for students 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Or another spin on it would be, if it’s a non hockey game and a Bison fan yells” Sioux Suck” does the FS4E fans turn to them and say “ we aren’t the Sioux anymore”? 

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I personally wouldn’t, but I’d have to asked them how does it feel knowing they’ll just choke in the first game of the NCAA’s.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Or another spin on it would be, if it’s a non hockey game and a Bison fan yells” Sioux Suck” does the FS4E fans turn to them and say “ we aren’t the Sioux anymore”? 

I would just continue eating my bison burger, then say " Your mascot needs some Worcestershire sauce "

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 3:53 PM, jdub27 said:

It's funny that somehow you think the Fighting Sioux nickname/logo made you different and unique from all the other college sports fans out there. 

It's funny that somehow you think the Fighting Sioux nickname/logo DIDN'T make us different and unique from all the other colleges out there...how many other "Fighting Sioux" college nicknames were there?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

It's funny that somehow you think the Fighting Sioux nickname/logo DIDN'T make us different and unique from all the other colleges out there...how many other "Fighting Sioux" college nicknames were there?

I never said the logo/nickname wasn't unique, I said it didn't give the fans some special power of being different from all the other millions of college sports fans. The identity is in the college, some of the most popular schools in the nation have no problem being at the top with what people would consider an unoriginal or bland nickname, because it's the school that makes the nickname what it is, not the other way around.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I never said the logo/nickname wasn't unique, I said it didn't give the fans some special power of being different from all the other millions of college sports fans. The identity is in the college, some of the most popular schools in the nation have no problem being at the top with what people would consider an unoriginal or bland nickname, because it's the school that makes the nickname what it is, not the other way around.

Would the division of fans be less if the hockey team wasn’t playing in an arena plastered with Sioux logos? 

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Would the division of fans be less if the hockey team wasn’t playing in an arena plastered with Sioux logos? 

No. I do not believe so. 

I think the division is deeper. There was alot of animosity prior to name change era as well.

I know someone well who played in the 60s, a few actually, but this guy in particular.

This guy told stories of players at odds all the time back in the day.  He hated UND hockey, that deep seated resentment has been there for decades.

16 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

No. I do not believe so. 

I think the division is deeper. There was alot of animosity prior to name change era as well.

I know someone well who played in the 60s, a few actually, but this guy in particular.

This guy told stories of players at odds all the time back in the day.  He hated UND hockey, that deep seated resentment has been there for decades.

In the mid 80's, Gasparini and Behrns had to ban their teams from going out to the bars. Witnessed the football team and hockey team have a pretty good battle royal at the old Bridge bar one night. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

"Roll Tide"................................those at Alabama might beg to differ. As would fans of many other schools.